1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic converter stolen, straight pipe...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by roguewaave, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    roguewaave

roguewaave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas/Maine
    Vehicle:
    stock
    stock
    Hello all,
    Just bought our first Tacoma and the gal I bought it from said someone stole her cat, so she just straight piped it. Of course the check engine light is on and stays on....my question, will this harm anything? Can I just ignore the light and drive on? or over the long term am I going to have problems with drivability or harm something.
    Thanks!

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If you live in any of the counties with smog that are scattered around in Texas, you will have an issue. Also, state inspection does require verifying that the cat is at least there, so depending on how detailed the state inspector is, you could fail the inspection. As far as drivability concerns, many people have driven with bored out cats or straight pipes, and have said they haven't had any ill effects. I suggest against it simply from a legal standpoint. The Cat is supposed to be there. I know a lot of people complain and call some people tree hugers and such, and I am not a tree huger for sure, but I DO care about the air my children, and grandchildren breath. It is an important part of your vehicle. Just my $.02 worth there.

3. Aug 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Flynbyu2

Flynbyu2 Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Sport
    Living in California, I know a couple things about smog issues and stolen catalytic converters.

The computer in your truck is assuming there is a problem and is throwing a code, hence the CEL. When a CEL is on, your computer goes into a default mode. You are definately not getting everything out of your truck that Toyota programmed in.

The tweekers are stealing catalytic converters on Toyota trucks out here at a frantic pace. Because the trucks sit higher, they don't even need to jack up the car to get it out. Numerous solutions have been tried here to stop the thefts, most of them unsucessful for the most part. There is a guy here that manufactures a bolt-on plate to prevent the tweekers from being able to reach the cat.

Products Discussed in

To Top