1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Compass & Thermometer Retrofit

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by SicKnd, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Oct 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    SicKnd

SicKnd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    HTX
    Vehicle:
    pork chop taco w/ cheese
    some
    So ive recently tried retrofitting an overhead console that comes with a compass & temp reader. everything on the overhead console plugs in fine, but the temp reading is blank and the compass only reads NW. since my truck didn't come with this option from the factory, I imagine I have to buy a sensor for the temperature. now my questions are
    1) what's the name of the part & part # so I can find it at my auto parts store?
    2) what needs to be done so that the compass reads the right direction?

any advice would help

2. Nov 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    It may be easier to advise you if you mentioned the year & model of your Tacoma. Although it wasn't an option, my 2008 X-Runner came "pre-wired" for the overhead temp/compass console. It was strictly a "plug and play" install. I did need to purchase a thermistor (Toyota Part #: 88790-22131) from my local Toyota dealer for $17.13 (including sales tax). It was a little more difficult to find the other end of the wiring harness behind the grill. I believe it's part of the horn harness, and you need to remove the electrical tape holding it up out of the way so it will "drop down" into place. Just plug the harness into the thermistor, then attach the thermistor to the support bar in the front of the radiator.

3. Nov 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    SicKnd

Member:
    HTX
    Vehicle:
    pork chop taco w/ cheese
    some
    My ride is a 2010 Pork chop taco w/ cheese. JK. 2010 Tacoma access cab, 5lug 4 cyl. I've yet to purchase the actual sensor, thx a lot for the part #. i'll do that ASAP

4. Nov 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several

Definitely have the parts guy at the counter look it up to see if your truck uses the same part #.

5. Jul 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    SicKnd

Member:
    HTX
    Vehicle:
    pork chop taco w/ cheese
    some
    updating an old thread****
    as it turns out the overhead console for the 05-08 was different than the 09+ in that the pins in the plug were re-arranged. so if it was pulled off an 05-08, it will only work if you plug it into an 05-08. if you plug it into an 09+ you will get blank lines for the temp and it will always say N. I now have an O/H console for an 05-08 for sale :(

Products Discussed in

To Top