1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Redline Gear oil and transmission oil questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by HighSierra, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    HighSierra

HighSierra [OP] Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD V6
    For those of you who use Redline products (I'm a loyal Redline user in my snowmobile) I've got a couple question for ya!

First I'm going to change the front and rear diff oil, tranfer case oil and Manual transmission oil in my 04 taco. Obviously i'm going to put redline back in but I'm not sure on what exactly to use.

For the Trany I'm not sure if I should use the MTL or the MT90 as I read somewhere that the MT90 isn't so great in cold conditions (I live where it gets cold in the winter) as it makes for difficult shifting sometimes (I acctually think I read that from a company that sells the stuff...I think it was a BMW store, and they reccomended usingthe MTL rather than the MT90 if you live in cold conditions.....but I ask because the taco aint to beamer.)

The other question is with regards to everything else (diffs and transfer case). Should I just get the stadard 75w90 gear oil or should I go with the Heavy Shockproof gear oil. I'm assuming to go with the standard as I mostly put on highway miles with very limited towing (and I mean limited to maybe 100 miles a year). but I don't know....maybe the shockproof stuff will be even smoother and increase the longevetiy (or not really?)

last thing is does anyone know of a place with good deals on Redline?? I think I've found the best deal on the net at JDM ULtimate.com at around $37.99/gallon for both the gear oil and the MT oil.

Thanks!

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm interested in how this worked out for you.

I believe I used MT-90 in the transmission. I'm not a huge fan of it. It is a bit hard to shift at times. I am very interested in shockproof maybe in a ratio or 100% but I have no idea of how long it lasts or if it will eat the synchros. I have heard yes and no. All I want is smoother shifting. The transmission has never been driven hard but it has always occasionally grinded and has been hard to shift into reverse and 2nd and first at times as well.

Just curious.

Products Discussed in

To Top