1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello... new too the site... need some input with a on going issue with my 12 Taco..

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by CrazyTacoCranny, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Jul 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    CrazyTacoCranny

CrazyTacoCranny [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hamilton,Ont,Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    Vibrating steering wheel at highway speeds... Rims and tires have been properly "forced" balanced by kaltire... the tires and rims before are what has put me in this lingo of trouble with one of the rims being out of round and also being the Drivers side front rim... so of course after 2 alignments and news rims and tires.. the dealership is just being a pain in the ass... repeatedly saying that its the rims and tires but its not :eek:... and still dealing with the Vibrating steering wheel... so im at the point where i just should try to fix the problem myself.. so im curious if there is any one on this site that has or is going through the same problem so i can get my truck fixed in a jiffy without going through the dealership B/S... Thanks guys!

2. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    I'm just curious if the symptoms would change if you rotated the tires from the front to the back. This might prove or disprove whether the problem is with the tires and rims.

Usually when the steering wheel shakes, the problem is a wheel out of balance or an alignment problem.

Here are a few questions: What size tires and rims? How many miles on them, on the truck? Have you made any modifications to the suspension?

3. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:57 AM
    MagneticTaco79

MagneticTaco79 COLD ASS HONKY

Member:
    First Name:
    AARON
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 2012 Tacoma AC TRD Sport 4x4
    ALL KINDS OF SHIT
    Well here is the deal... If they are saying they are " road force balanced" which from what i have read is a balancing machine that takes a certain reading from your wheel and tire like it is test driving them on the road. If they were able to properly balance them then it cant be an issue with the wheel and tire! Some one at your stealership is full of shit. Ive seen a couple different Tacomas with the steering wheel shake that wouldnt go away. It was a balancing issue both times. Either they werent balanced properly or their is an issue with the wheel and tire. What im trying to say is if there is a problem with your wheel and tire it shouldnt show that it "road force balanced" properly. A lot of times with newer style rims and fake beadlock rings, you cant put weights on the outer edge of the rim, so a lot of times they will try to static balance which i have never had any luck with.

Take them some where else and get them balanced, see if it makes a difference.

4. Jul 15, 2014 at 5:03 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Does the steering shake occur at a certain speed?

5. Jul 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    CrazyTacoCranny

CrazyTacoCranny [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hamilton,Ont,Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    Iv had the tires rotated with still the same result... 17" black iron Tomahawks with Firestone Destination LE2 265/65R17... 15,000 KM on the tires... No mods on the suspension system.. Yes the steering shakes occurs between 90km - 110km...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  6. Jul 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top