1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taking back truck from rust

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by memario1214, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Aug 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Well I have just moved to Minnesota and my truck went from normal occasional rust spots to now that bright beautiful orange on the entire undercarriage, in just one winter! My UCAs have all taken on the orange color as well as damn near everything else with exposed metal. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get er back in shape, is it even worth it? I mean I would like to continue to work on it, but if everything is just going to deteriorate out from under it I won't waste the time/money. It just frustrates me to see my rusty LR UCAs every time I walk up to the truck.

2. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Nice lookin truck. I also live in MN, and am waiting for the frame recall to hit MN so i can take my truck in for the rust. Apparently if your frame gets swapped so do TONS of other parts like leaf springs and maybe other suspension components. If they dont swap frames, then they coat your frame which hopefully will be a good fix. My frame looks pretty nast too.

Take my advice and spend the money to get regular washes here in the winter. Ive lived here my whole life. Also, make sure your tires dont extend past the wheel wells, throwing rocks at your paint. My last truck did that, and all the little rock chips turned into rust in one season, ruining my old truck. That was literally the only reason i sold it.

Also, (little rant going here now) get a fish house if yaint got one yet. ice fishing is my shit! also get a snowboard & snowmobile, but you probly already have that stuff coming from MT. And get a boat if your gonna be in the land of 10000 lakes.

Products Discussed in

To Top