1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Idle?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BOLLINGERTACO, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Apr 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM
    BOLLINGERTACO

BOLLINGERTACO [OP] Member

Member:
    noho
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4door long bed SR5
    2.5" front lift, debadged
    iv got an 08 4.0L 4x4. every so often, once every day or two, i get a weird rough idle. not something that would make you think wow, something is wrong. but definetly noticeable. anyone else experience the same thing? iv got almost 5k miles and threw fresh Mobil 1 in at 3500. it seems a little rougher if iv got the a/c on. i just expected perfection from toyota...am i being too critical?

2. Apr 17, 2008 at 8:47 PM
    415tacoma

415tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodacre, ca
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Debadged
    ive noticed it when i turn my A/c on

3. Dec 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM
    crytesy

crytesy Weekend Warrior

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Tacoma
    Skid Plate, Undercover Tonneau Cover, PIAA FogLights, AIR RAID CAI
    I was actually looking to post the same observation. The idle is most definitely rougher than I expected for a Toyota......

I only notice it on occasion....it's not a steady issue.

Part of me is glad that others are experiencing the same issue....I know that it's a quirky Toyota issue.

4. Dec 14, 2008 at 6:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not that its rough....

But if I'm sitting somewhere (stop light, drive-thru or whatever), the truck ramps up to 650ish for like 10 seconds, then drops down to 540ish for a few seconds then back up, down, up, down.... (I have a scangauge and exhaust and can 'hear it').

I don't consider it anything wrong. Just weird.....no accessories on except maybe the heat/fans. And other times just turning fans on - it'll ramp up in rpm's.

5. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    Rustystp

Rustystp Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Taco
    Just had my 07 in the dealer for rough idle. It seems there is a problem with the cam timing position switch. They ordered me a new one. Hope this fixes the problem

6. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    when i had my 06, and took out the secondary air filter.......my idle was smoother. most will say that removing the 2nd filter doesnt do anything, but i know for a fact that my idle seemed smoother.

7. Jan 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    streetlightning

streetlightning Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD T/X Pro
    Did they replace your cam position timing switch? I'm curious as the dealer can't find what's wrong with my 2011 Tacoma as its underpowered and idles rough. Its not throwing any codes so they don't know where to start looking.

xguntherc likes this.
  8. Jan 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    mine also seems to run a little rough at times, but i'm also over do for a spark plug change :eek:

9. Feb 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    Jonniebb

Jonniebb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 4D SB 4x4 Off Rd 6 SP
    I am curious about the cam timing switch. My 07 has idled rough for a while now. My mechanic noticed it when we were getting ready to replace plugs so I hoped the plugs would do it. No difference.

I just put new, more aggressive tires on and gas mileage has dipped. Wondered if it was all the tires or some efficiency issue coupled with the rough idle.

10. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    mine has started doing this more often now. Its weird because half the time it is happening, I can turn my vent blower all the way up and the idle is a lot rougher and then I turn it down and it almost goes away. The other half the truck is idling weird, the vent blower has no effect on it.

11. Nov 18, 2015 at 12:37 PM
    CaliBluTaco

CaliBluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathanael
    Ohio USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper, Brute Force Fab HC Rear Bumper, All Pro Kickout Sliders, Pelfreybilt IFS Skid and Mid Skid, Relentless Fab Tailgate Reinforcement, ICON Ext.Travel Coilovers w/ 14"x 650# Eibach coils and custom valving, LR UCA's, OME Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Pack w/ All Pro U-Bolt Flip, Icon 2.0 Aluminum Series Extended Travel rear shocks & Wheelers Super Bumpstops. 285/70R17 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 Tires on 17x8 Pro Comp 7089's, ENGO E12000s Winch w/ Synthetic Rope, Locker Anytime Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod, and more...
    I know this is an old thread, but my 07 4.0L engine has been doing the same thing as described above ^^^
    Was wondering if anybody has found out what the problem is or if there is a way to get the engine to idle smoother again. I recently changed the spark plugs and checked air filter ect...
    Engine has 143,500 on it.

12. Feb 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM
    yetilynch

yetilynch New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma
    None
    I am having the same issues with my 2007 Tacoma, has anyone resolved the issue?

13. Feb 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    suddenstop

suddenstop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    12' Dbl Cab, TRD Debadged
    White, Debadged, Leer Topper, 3" Fabtech Uniball Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Full Limo Tint, Alpine Touch Screen, Fuel Rims and Grill, Remote Start, Black IPCW LED Taillights.
    Just forwarded this to a buddy with similar issues. Thanks

14. Mar 6, 2017 at 8:19 PM
    Rjurich

Rjurich New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Low idle while in gear on my 07. Drive or reverse it sits at 500 to 600 and neutral sits at approximately 800. Changed plugs last week no help. Gonna clean throttle body next... any answers yet?

15. Mar 6, 2017 at 10:15 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Clean or replace the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve

16. Jul 14, 2017 at 10:13 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    My 2004 2.7 does exactly what everyone has already pointed out. I'd say it is normal with any real mileage at all. I'd suspect the EPA, not Toyota. I'd also agree with this last post by tan4X4 that it is probably the IAC since that is what controls the idle along with other "gadgets". I really don't worry about it since I think it's normal but I'll be cleaning/replacing my IAC someday since my truck has 162,000 miles on it. My personal opinion is I'm not going to worry about it unless my engine starts stalling. The up and down idle I experience just like everyone else is nothing but the sensors, computer and everything else doing their job to reduce emissions. It's just more noticeable as the various sensors and electronics age.

My personal opinion is that all these various sensors and electronic gizmo's on the newer vehicles may still work and throw no codes but as they get old their performance deteriorates. The real problem is? What gizmo do you replace if you think it might be getting "old" but still working. That's the problem since there are so many that affect the engine performance on even something as simple as the 2.7. What I will do in the future is just start replacing all the sensors and electronics such as coils, injectors etc., etc. with Toyota parts as the miles on my engine continue to stack up. I've only got 162,000 at this point so I have plenty of time to start gathering parts.

There are "tests" anyone can do with the right equipment so you can "test" a sensor or a coil or anything else but that would be a real PIA. I've read through the procedures for some of those tests and I'm certainly not going to spend the time performing them because I don't have the time. Anyone can though and the "equipment" is cheap.

We can ALL thank the EPA.

17. Mar 19, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    digging up an old thread. I currently have these exact problems. Did anyone find a fix? 2008 2.7L

18. Mar 20, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    clean MAF sensor and throttle body, check/change spark plugs. There's no other real adjustment on them unless maybe you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Products Discussed in

To Top