1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stiff Shifter, Automatic Trans.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Maddog721, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    Maddog721

Maddog721 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, Crew Cab, 47K miles and automatic transmission. I was traveling on business and the truck was parked for three weeks and when I returned, the shifter lever was very stiff, difficult to move from Park to Drive. After a day or two of normal driving, the shifter moved normal but I’ve noticed when ever it’s parked for an extended period of time (> week), the shifter is stiff to move.

Any ideas what is the problem?

2. Jul 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    DonG

DonG New Member

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2005 dbl cab 4x4 LB
    I have an 05 and have the same problem. I started driving a 5 speed my son-in-law gave me to save on gas and after a few weeks of sitting it's stiff as hell. So is the power steering. Neither of the fluids have been changed so I'm going to do that anyway but right now I'm going to check out the linkage and console.

3. Jul 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    DonG

DonG New Member

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2005 dbl cab 4x4 LB
    I removed the shift knob then the console on my 05 just snaps out whenpulled on from both sides. I removed the shift indicator cover by lifting outon the snaps on each side then removed the rubber slide and lubricated thelinkage and cable. There's a little switch just an inch left of the shifterwhen in park that overrides the break lock and I held that down while movingthe shifter back and forth through all gears. Be sure your parking break is onwhen doing this. Just took a couple sprays and several passes through the gearsand all is fine now.

Gotta get the power steering fluid changed now and hope it's not the pump.

Products Discussed in

To Top