1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A+ Certification

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tarheelfan_08, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    Yeah...

2. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Haha, yep Linux is a different animal .....

3. Aug 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    The funny thing is that I haven't been much of windows user for the last 10 years or so. Sure I used it at work, but didn't go much into the technical aspects of it. I have a mac at home and for the last 3 years or so I've been working with Linux on a daily basis. I've become really used to Linux and can get around in it pretty well, but give me a Windows box that has a problem and I'm almost clueless. :eek: That's part of the reason why I decided to get the A+.

4. Aug 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    I got mine a couple months ago. It wasn't hard at all. There is a lot of "What should you do FIRST" questions. I recommend going to Barnes and Noble, finding an A+ book with questions and answers and seeing how you do. If you think you need to study, get a book, read it and return it:cool:

5. Aug 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Any examples of the questions??

6. Aug 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    tbturner47

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    http://www.comptia.org/certifications/testprep/practicetests.aspx

Fill that out and it will give you 30 sample questions. These are the types of questions you will see. It is not a hard exam at all. The wording is just tricky on some questions and answers.

Also, know your Windows operating systems. Like the differences between XP and Vista, and what applications and tools come standard on each version. A good example is "A user's files are stored in C:\Users\. What operating system are they using?" Your answer would be Vista or Windows 7. XP stores user files in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents (all by default of course)

Also know which tool to use in certain situations. Such as System restore, Device Manager, System Monitor, etc.

It's all very basic information but it covers a wide variety.

7. Aug 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Ok, I am really thinking that I may hold off and take this test in another month! That way I can study more!

8. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    tbturner47

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    Honestly, go to Barnes and Noble and get this book

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-220-701-220-702-Exam-Cram/dp/078974242X/ref=pd_sim_b_6

I read the entire book in a week. Took my test and made an 805 on the first one and an 800 on the second out of 900. It has practice questions and everything. If you read it within two weeks you can take it back. I'm assuming you have some moderate level of understanding with computers giving your recent degree. All you need is a refresher and something to cover the topics of the exam.

Be confident and don't doubt yourself. That is one of the best test taking tips I can give. If you look too hard into it you will bomb as you will always be questioning your knowledge.

Another thing about the exams: Know your hardware. Know what a line tester is, a line surge, the difference between a port duplicator and a docking station. Know that common laptop memory contains 200 pin DIMMS. Never open a power supply or a CRT monitor because of the strong voltage they can retain inside (always recycle them properly;)). And know how different types of printers work (Dot Matrix printers, Inkjet, and Laser). Laser is the the most important of the three. You should be able to describe the entire process it uses to print. All of this is covered in the book.

It may seem like a lot but it really isn't. If you have ANY questions don't hesitate to ask.

9. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Sweet, I got a book that is similar from a hardware and support class I took! But I may grab this one to! It is probably a lot smaller then that big ass text book!

10. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    tbturner47

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:

600 pages:)

I picked up a Network+ book when I took that one back. I'm trying to get all these done by the end of the year. This is the last year CompTIA will offer lifetime certs by the way!!! Any certification received after this year will require a renewal exam ever three years.:mad:

11. Aug 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    This certification will do what for you?.........Something w/computers I imagine...........

12. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    tbturner47

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:

The A+ certification consists of two exams. Both of them pertaining to basic computer maintenance and hardware/software questions. It is essentially the starting block for certifications and IMO it shows others you know what the fuck your doing:) Some people say it isn't worth it but having your resume say A+ Certified sounds better than "I promise I know what I'm doing"

13. Aug 17, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    LTech221

LTech221 Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    Traded the taco :(
    As long as you read over the objectives for both test you should be fine. I was able to complete both tests in about 15 minutes each.

14. Aug 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    So what would I need to take course wise to take this thing? Or do you even need to take a course? I pretty know most computer stuff and have taken several computer programming courses in high school.

15. Aug 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    LTech221

LTech221 Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    Traded the taco :(
    http://www.professormesser.com/free...essers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course

I used that to go through objectives then I just used the Exam Cram A+ book. Questions were similar.

You really don't need a course/class esp if you've been working with computers. Its more of a hardware based test (very basic troubleshooting) and some windows stuff, and maybe a few questions based in customer service / social engineering. There were quite a bit of questions on printers. specifically laser printers when I took it. Just know major parts and how it works. like a question will ask what part will cause the paper to print blank pages or ghosting objects appear, whats the cause?

16. Aug 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    lmnt

lmnt Active Member

Member:
    I took this test about 10 years ago so I'm sure its been updated, but when I took it, if you do pc repair/troubleshooting on a consistent basis, you'll have no problem.

Definately get a book as it will fill in all the stuff you won't get from just the repair - like best practices and methods for repair. Things like using anti-static mats and wrist things and why, etc.

If you are taking it to get into the field, get a book and know it.

There are also tons of web sites filled with sample questions.

Ultimately - most certs are worthless, but they are a good starting point. Experience is king.

17. Aug 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    chadleeper

chadleeper "She's a 'beaut Clark"

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Des Moines, IA
    Vehicle:
    Black 08 quad cab TRD Sport
    +1 for what 4wd said. If you have studied you should do fine.

18. Aug 17, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    tbturner47

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    If anyone has any questions just PM me. I'll be more than glad to help you.

19. Aug 18, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    This is the main thing that people always come back to - experience in the real world. We had a guy in my shop last year that had his bachelors in computer science, but that guy was lost when we broke out the tools - hands on or network based. Certifications may impress people who don't know what they stand for - but its the experience that will show itself.

Its just a sad day when the HR department can set the bar for what the IT department can/can't hire as far as certs and degrees are concerned. Working in a medical environment, I see most of the letters of alphabet behind alot of peoples names and have no clue how they got there. :rolleyes:

That said - good luck with your test, but don't forget to get some hands on experience also. You might have to do some volunteer work or find a bottom job at Staples or Best Buy to get the basic experience going. Those are the kind of places I see that love the A+ cert.

20. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

JCfromDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Heh ...I've had my A+ for over a year, applied for federal jobs, federal work studies, local IT positions, tech corps galore. Not a single bite. A+ taught me a whole hell of a lot but in the end, well, you guys all see what I actually do for a living as opposed to what I have training for.

Inbetween welding I get to fix the computers here when the idiots click on spam links. ...........aaannnddd that's about it.

To the OP, best of luck to you. Oh yeah, and learn the different types of RAM and memorize what the different parts of a laser printer do and at what stage in the printing process they come into play. ENDLESS questions about printers. ....oh yeah, and learn what a honeypot is if you don't know already. That one screwed me up coz I didn't see it anywhere in the giant 8 billion page book I had for studying.

Products Discussed in

To Top