1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Apple TV and/or Netflix .. Are They Good ??

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SOSHeloPilot, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot [OP] My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Apple came out with a new version of the "Apple TV" recently. Was thinking about getting it and/or Netflix for movies.

Any suggestions or info on the new Apple TV and/or Netflix ??

Any of you guys have either one and how do you like them.

The more info the better ... thanks in advance ... :D

2. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I don't know much about the new apple TV, but the old one did seem like a very good deal. You had to rent movies/tv shows and I think you were charged per movie/TV show and they had to come from iTunes. I'm not sure, I never bought one.

A few months ago I got a Roku HD player for $100 off Amazon. I mainly got it because it was cheap and easy way to instantly watch stuff off Netflix without using the computer. I guess it's similar to the Apple TV, although It doesn't have any storage. There are other "channels" you can get for the Roku as well. Our Netflix subscription is around $10 a month and you can watch any of the movies or TV shows that are available for instant viewing on the internet in addition to the DVD rentals. The only thing that sucks about Netflix is the selection of titles that can be viewed on the internet and therefore the Roku player. It doesn't seem like they can keep up with all of the new titles. Although, I'm not sure how well any provider does. The picture quality is only as good as your internet connection and that's probably true for both of them.

Good luck choosing and hope this helps.

3. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Netflix = awesome. I have a Tivo too so I use that to stream any instant content I want to watch from Netflix. Turn around on by mail movies is very fast too. I've had it a couple years now with no complaints.

4. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Netflix has signed deals with major studios so they can release new titles for instant viewing. The only thing is when a new movie is released on video Netflix under contract cannot release the title for four weeks or whatever the contract states.

Personally I use Windows Media Center on a dedicated PC hooked up to my home network so I can view any streaming content I download on my TV.

5. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    Twiget

Twiget Proud to be Awesome

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    654, 6 Cylinders, 5 Speeds, 4 wheel drive
    Alpine Headunit, Soft Tonneau Cover, CAI
    +1 I've had netflix for years now. Used to do the 6 disks at a time thing, but since I got my PS3 I'm down to 2 disks at a time and I stream a lot.

Netflix just recently signed a big deal with NBC, so a lot more of their shows are going to start showing up on the streaming side. It seems like every time I check, their instant selection has gotten larger.

6. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    I have Netflix and I love it. Have it on my iPhone too. Super easy to work and you can stream from almost any where. I was streaming to my phone the other day while on a trip back from Washington D.C. I love it.

7. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    swopeti

swopeti Active Member

Member:
    i used netflix and like the streaming side good picture no lags. i am bad at mailing back the dvd but it shows in about 3 days for me when i mail it in. I ma using a PC to feed my tv no problems

8. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2

9. Oct 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I stream netflix on ps3 and the kids do on their wii. They love the movie selection, but I think the selection for streaming sucks. There are never any good first run movies on there. You can get the disc for the new releases, but the vast majority are not available for streaming. So for 10 a month it is well worth it, especially for the kids. I can find some stuff to watch on there so i shouldn't say it sucks, just wish everything that you can rent was available for streaming.

10. Oct 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    i pay exactly 22.83 a month for Netflix. i get 3 blu-rays out at a time (blu-rays are a few bucks more than regular DVD) + free streams from my PS3. Well worth it IMO

11. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    dogbite

dogbite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    Apple TV reviews for the first iteration were pretty poor overall.

Netflix, outside of streamed material, you have little control over when movies on your list show up so you may not be in the mood for what comes.

Value is generally OK for Netflix though it depends how fast you can cycle the disks and they also penalize heavy cyclers to load balance their costs.

I personally don't see the value in paying for content in these systems as it doesn't match my TV/video watching habits. I have a hard time paying $100+ dollars a year for essentially disposable media whether, cable, streaming services, satellite or other such subscriptions.

YMMV.

Products Discussed in

To Top