Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Ask the Apple Nerd!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
MissAly is on a distinguished road
Name: Aly
MissAly's Tacoma Gallery
iPod - iPhone people. The best trick for a "broken"( won't power on, frozen, app failure, crazy slow, etc) device is to re-set it. Re-setting does not mean to turn it off. For iTouch and iPhones it's the same... hold power and home button until your phone powers off and reboots. Do not let go until the apple logo shows up on your screen. This fixes most problems.

Other issues come from crappy down loads of apps, either delete and re down load or delete app from device.

If this doesn't solve the issue do a complete reset in iTunes then back up from previous backup.

If this doesn't work take it to a Mac genius. They will trouble shoot it and if it's within it's warranty and there is no water damage they will give you a new replacement in store; if they didn't resolve the issue.

iPods reset is holding the middle button and the pause play button till device powers off and resets. Again don't let go until the apple logo appears on the screen.

For all devices... Be patient some times it takes a min or so for it to reboot. Also try rebooting device with it plugged in to charger if it doesn't reboot unplugged.

I hope most of you know this...but from working at an Apple store (I no longer work at apple) it's amazing how many people don't.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
Di Trut has a spectacular aura aboutDi Trut has a spectacular aura about

Di Trut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBiggs View Post
Is there a thread like this already? Or has someone already been named the Apple nerd on TW?

If not I call the position. It's mine. And I'm definitely willing to prove myself.

...But let me know if the position is taken and I'll remove the thread with a big frown on my face...
do you know anything about running osx on a pc laptop?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
I use MAC all the time, but im a graphic designer/video editor so it makes sense. I converted over to mac after being a long time PC guy, but school was what influenced me to switch with working on them all the time.

I know quite a bit when it comes to mac, but if i get any questions ill post up here!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #24
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
This is the lamest thread I've ever seen on TW.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #26
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
^ have you done a firmware update? I know the batteries on the dam macbooks go out super quick.

Do you leave it on but just shut the screen down to sleep with it plugged in alot?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Mac guy here too.. Had many pc's over the years but don't come close to Mac. Hey I'm not saying they are cheap, but nether are the Tacoma’s and I have one of those too.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #28
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroM- View Post
^ have you done a firmware update? I know the batteries on the dam macbooks go out super quick.

Do you leave it on but just shut the screen down to sleep with it plugged in alot?
Im at 753 cycles on the original battary on my macbook and it's at 89% health according to istat pro.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #30

stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Im at 753 cycles on the original battary on my macbook and it's at 89% health according to istat pro.
Well ive gone through 2 batteries already on my macbook within 4.5 years. Its because i have a silly habit of leaving it on but just closing the laptop and leaving it there for days on end plugged in... Supposedly it clears the batteries out pretty quick when you do that. (just what the apple "genius" said)
Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #31
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well ive gone through 2 batteries already on my macbook within 4.5 years. Its because i have a silly habit of leaving it on but just closing the laptop and leaving it there for days on end plugged in... Supposedly it clears the batteries out pretty quick when you do that. (just what the apple "genius" said)
Yeah that'll do it. I always run it through cycles (charge till it hits 100% then let it die till the warning comes up.)
Old 11-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #32
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
are you fellas talking about killing the battery memory?

I have the new macbook pro, and im pretty sure it has lithium batteries, and those don't have battery memory.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
also... how do you check how many cycles you have used on battery and the quality of battery?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #34
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
are you fellas talking about killing the battery memory?

I have the new macbook pro, and im pretty sure it has lithium batteries, and those don't have battery memory.
really? never knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
also... how do you check how many cycles you have used on battery and the quality of battery?
download istat pro, although I like istat menus since it goes up on the top tool bar.
http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

heres a pic where you can see the istat menus on my computer.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #35
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
okay my itouch has worked with my headunit perfectly, one day i hit a bump and the cord came unplugged, ever since no matter what cord i use (the usb type) it will not work with my head unit, it just says reading and gives up, but it still works with an auxillary cord
One of the ports is damaged, either on the radio or the itouch. Does the itouch work if plugged into your laptop or another device using a USB?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #36
MadeInMaine

EMS:
Do any of you guys run your email through "Mail"?
Even though I delete my inbox, I still have lots of messages (received, sent, recovered, etc) taking up tons of space.

I am set up with Gmail, IMAP...

know how to get rid of all that wasted space?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #37
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amir
sandman427's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I think your right I havent don't that yet
Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #38
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
I got a question. On my iPhone there is a photo library and a camera roll. The library got synced last time I connected the iPhone to my computer I guess. In this library I can't go in and delete pictures. How do I get them off?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #40
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

We switched to Apples and have never looked back.

They are somewhat pricey, but the hardware & software systems are from the same company and they work.

Question: If I get my 3GS iphone unlocked from AT&T ... will it re-lock when I sync. it again via itunes ??

I usually sync it 2 times a week via itunes on an Apple laptop.

Products Discussed in this Thread