Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Ask the Apple Nerd!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #921
Remember to lube your brake pads and tire treads!
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
currently, i am still on osx leopard. if i use time machine to back up my macbook on an external HD, and let's say the comp craps out, can i only restore back to that OS on a new macbook? or will it restore to the lastest os?
bump? anyone?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #922
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I have OSx Lion on a thumb drive fs. 10.7
I know its old but its good. Also a 1st gen mac for parts. The all in one deal from "2007?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #923
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
currently, i am still on osx leopard. if i use time machine to back up my macbook on an external HD, and let's say the comp craps out, can i only restore back to that OS on a new macbook? or will it restore to the lastest os?
Quote:
bump? anyone?
I think it would depend on how you've got Time Machine set up, the type of backups you've done, the space on your backup drive, and what's selected when restoring. As I understand it, Time Machine is set up by default to do incremental backups of your very latest changes and will restore to that. You should be able to also restore to some older point (in case the latest is screwed up), but to what extent depends on the space on your backup drive (can only hold so many older increments).

Of course, you could have overridden that and also made an entirely separate backup of the original computer - which would have the original OS, settings, and so on. Impossible for me (or anyone else here) to know whether you did that.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #924
Remember to lube your brake pads and tire treads!
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
I think it would depend on how you've got Time Machine set up, the type of backups you've done, the space on your backup drive, and what's selected when restoring. As I understand it, Time Machine is set up by default to do incremental backups of your very latest changes and will restore to that. You should be able to also restore to some older point (in case the latest is screwed up), but to what extent depends on the space on your backup drive (can only hold so many older increments).

Of course, you could have overridden that and also made an entirely separate backup of the original computer - which would have the original OS, settings, and so on. Impossible for me (or anyone else here) to know whether you did that.
i just manually back-up with TM and it only takes up about a 10th of the external HD. as far as overriding anything i haven't done that (and frankly, don't know how to)
Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #925
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Almost 4.5 years of owning my MacBook this happens today. It comes and goes, but sometimes stays for a bit.

Is this a typical occurrence due to it's age?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #926
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
I'm using my IPad and my IPhone and both have photos on them that I need off and saved and I use a PC and not a Mac at this time. I do hate PC but that's another story
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #927
imDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Darrin
imDARRIN's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thread OP. I have a question regarding the messaging on my MBP. One day it just decided it was not going to be synced with my iPhone5 so I don't receive the messages on both devices like before. How do i revert that?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #928
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
PC or Mac just a tool, the person that uses it make all the calls.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #929
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone here have a cracked screen replace on an iPad? Does AQpple just replace the screen or do I need to worry about Data Back Up problems. Please assume that I will be backing up the data.

When doing a data back up is all the data in the app games lost and the user needs to start all over again?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #930
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I'm using my IPad and my IPhone and both have photos on them that I need off and saved and I use a PC and not a Mac at this time. I do hate PC but that's another story
This should help I think:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Anyone here have a cracked screen replace on an iPad? Does AQpple just replace the screen or do I need to worry about Data Back Up problems. Please assume that I will be backing up the data.

When doing a data back up is all the data in the app games lost and the user needs to start all over again?
If they are just replacing your screen I would think your data would be preserved. But I would make sure to have a fresh backup which it sounds like you are planning to do.

If for some reason your data is lost then restoring from backup should keep all data other than maybe some device settings (like wifi passwords, sound settings, etc.).
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #931
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
This should help I think:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

If they are just replacing your screen I would think your data would be preserved. But I would make sure to have a fresh backup which it sounds like you are planning to do.

If for some reason your data is lost then restoring from backup should keep all data other than maybe some device settings (like wifi passwords, sound settings, etc.).
TY

I made an appointment with the local Apple store to have them look at the screen and assess what needs to be done.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #932
nbitzer is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nbitzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Almost 4.5 years of owning my MacBook this happens today. It comes and goes, but sometimes stays for a bit.

Is this a typical occurrence due to it's age?

I wouldn't call it typical, but I wouldn't say it's unheard of. I am guessing you don't have apple care on the Macbook? If you do, take it to apple, get a new display. If not, try and re-install the display driver (google around and find a write up, as I am sure there is one.) If that doesn't fix it...then get a new macbook pro retina
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #933
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a good free app to mess around with audio on? On my old laptop I could make it sound like the song was being played underwater, or in a sewer, ect...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #934
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbitzer View Post
I wouldn't call it typical, but I wouldn't say it's unheard of. I am guessing you don't have apple care on the Macbook? If you do, take it to apple, get a new display. If not, try and re-install the display driver (google around and find a write up, as I am sure there is one.) If that doesn't fix it...then get a new macbook pro retina
My applecare expired a long time ago I'll try looking up that display driver thingy. Thanks for the tip.

Hopefully I don't have to put money toward a new one for a while
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #935
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Use photo stream. I have it on my pc, and I can access my iPad / iPhone pics on my pc.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #937
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

iTunes is the ultimate back up you ever needs. Both works with PC and Mac, so once a week plug your iDevices to iTunes to back it up.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Is there a good free app to mess around with audio on? On my old laptop I could make it sound like the song was being played underwater, or in a sewer, ect...
You can do a search on AppStore, you'll find tons of Apps, some are free and some are not...
Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #939
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
iTunes is the ultimate back up you ever needs. Both works with PC and Mac, so once a week plug your iDevices to iTunes to back it up.
Psshhh, wifi sync is where it's at.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #940

Quote:
TM back up only if you have any activities that done to your computer, let say you added a file, changed your preferences and so on. Yes. you can restore from your back up to your previous OS, But why do you want to do that,when the new OS more advance then the previous one. All you have to do is migrate your files to the new MacBook and that's it !

Products Discussed in this Thread