Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Ask the Apple Nerd!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #1001
Army Retired
mltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to behold

Army: Retired Army, Signal Corps
Name: Mike
mltaylo3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltaylo3 View Post
Disk utility does not list the drive.
Apple nerds... Don't beat me up for this, but I find it ironic that a Windows based disc (UBCD) can see a drive on a MBA that SL cannot. Linux can as well (gparted live cd). What's up with that? I believe I've answered all the questions...
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #1002
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaberm View Post
Your battery is swelling up or the set screw for the trackpad had loosened up. Try removing the bottom and removing the battery, if the click function is restored then its time to get a new battery.

If the set screw loosened up you just need to slightly tighten it up.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...acement/5116/1
Shoot, I think the battery is indeed swollen slightly, the mouse seems to be responding to clicks perfectly now that I am running it without a battery.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #1003
Apple Technician
Gaberm is on a distinguished road

Army: 88M - 1ST COSCOM
Name: Gabe
Gaberm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltaylo3 View Post
Apple nerds... Don't beat me up for this, but I find it ironic that a Windows based disc (UBCD) can see a drive on a MBA that SL cannot. Linux can as well (gparted live cd). What's up with that? I believe I've answered all the questions...
Have you gone under SL disk utility under the menu bar and partitioned the drive as a Macintosh journaled disk yet? You can not I stall until you do.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #1004
Army Retired
mltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to beholdmltaylo3 is a splendid one to behold

Tried, but the disk is not listed for SL install disc. During initial troubleshooting, I formatted as hfs+journaled, single partition via ubcd however. (after a few unsuccessful install attempts, Google said SL may not see raw disks, and gparted live cd said the disk was raw format out of the box).
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #1005
Apple Technician
Gaberm is on a distinguished road

Army: 88M - 1ST COSCOM
Name: Gabe
Gaberm's Tacoma Gallery
Never personally had that problem. ou can format it as NTFS or Fat 32 and SL should see the drive. It will not let you install, but then you can use Disk Utility to format as journaled
Old 07-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #1006
Army Retired

Will give it a try and report results
Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #1007
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i have my MBP with 10.8.4 hooked up to our sony TV via thunderbolt (?) to hdmi adapter with hdmi going to the TV, i have the display set to not mirror, and every thing is working fine, but is their a way to get safari on the mac screen and iTunes visualizer on the tv? whenever i change screens on my mac it changes screens on the TV.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #1008
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
i have my MBP with 10.8.4 hooked up to our sony TV via thunderbolt (?) to hdmi adapter with hdmi going to the TV, i have the display set to not mirror, and every thing is working fine, but is their a way to get safari on the mac screen and iTunes visualizer on the tv? whenever i change screens on my mac it changes screens on the TV.
Not really understanding your issue. You have the display extended to your TV, just drag iTunes to the TV screen and keep Safari on your laptop screen. Are you trying to change spaces?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #1009
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
Not really understanding your issue. You have the display extended to your TV, just drag iTunes to the TV screen and keep Safari on your laptop screen. Are you trying to change spaces?
yes, i did that but when i'd go to safari on my mac and on the TV (which would show a grey screen instead of safari), i ended up trying it without being fullscreen in iTunes or safari and but them both on desktop 2, safari on my mac and iTunes on the tv.
Change spaces? what does that mean?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #1010
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
yes, i did that but when i'd go to safari on my mac and on the TV (which would show a grey screen instead of safari), i ended up trying it without being fullscreen in iTunes or safari and but them both on desktop 2, safari on my mac and iTunes on the tv.
Change spaces? what does that mean?
Ok, you're going fullscreen which causes the screen that the fullscreen app is not on to grey out. Unfortunately nothing you can do about that. I believe Mavericks (the new version of Mac OS coming) will fix this.

For now just expand the window to fill the screen rather than using true fullscreen mode.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #1011
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, you're going fullscreen which causes the screen that the fullscreen app is not on to grey out. Unfortunately nothing you can do about that. I believe Mavericks (the new version of Mac OS coming) will fix this.

For now just expand the window to fill the screen rather than using true fullscreen mode.
Aaron is correct. The fullscreen app mode is worthless when multiple monitors come in to play. Hit the (+) button up in the corner next to your minimize and close, then drag to size if need be.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #1012
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Someone wants it, Come on free shipping yo
http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/3951246172.html
Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #1013
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
Someone wants it, Come on free shipping yo
http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/3951246172.html
Good luck with the sale! Are you going to post this in the Buy/Sell/Other thread?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #1014
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Aaron is correct. The fullscreen app mode is worthless when multiple monitors come in to play. Hit the (+) button up in the corner next to your minimize and close, then drag to size if need be.
Quote:

Thanks for the help guys, it works perfect now
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #1015
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
Good luck with the sale! Are you going to post this in the Buy/Sell/Other thread?
Posted. had a guy but i havent heard from he today.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #1016
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
another question, my moms mac and mine seem to be using the same IP address, when she goes on it it pops up a message saying another computer is using her IP address and when she tells it to join it kicks me off the internet, is their a way to fix this?

we have 3 MacBooks, 3 windows computers, and 4 iPhones, and 3 other i devices on the same internet.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #1017

Quote:
another question, my moms mac and mine seem to be using the same IP address, when she goes on it it pops up a message saying another computer is using her IP address and when she tells it to join it kicks me off the internet, is their a way to fix this?

we have 3 MacBooks, 3 windows computers, and 4 iPhones, and 3 other i devices on the same internet.
While both computers are on and connected to the network do this on one of them. Go to System Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences). Select Network, and then with whatever you use to connect to the network highlighted on the left (wi-fi, ethernet, etc.) click on Advanced in the bottom right corner. Then choose the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease. That should grab a new IP for that computer. And you can go to the same spot on the other computer to verify they now have different IP's.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #1018

Does anyone know why my iPhone 5 is having trouble with its Wi-Fi. I connect it to my home network and it connects and shows full reception but as soon as i try internet or app store it shows, Not connected to the server.

Apple care recommended me to go to a genius bar...
Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #1019
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
While both computers are on and connected to the network do this on one of them. Go to System Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences). Select Network, and then with whatever you use to connect to the network highlighted on the left (wi-fi, ethernet, etc.) click on Advanced in the bottom right corner. Then choose the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease. That should grab a new IP for that computer. And you can go to the same spot on the other computer to verify they now have different IP's.
Thanks man, worked perfect.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #1020

i keep getting refurbed iPhones from best buy and they keep having problems with them! This time the wireless wont goddamn work!!!!

Products Discussed in this Thread