Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Ask the Apple Nerd!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #1201
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
I read somewhere that if you update via computer is uses less space also.
I have experienced this. If I try to update on my device, it said it needs me to make room for 1.2GB (or so) of space to update. If I connect it to my Mac, it will run the 6-800MB update no problem.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #1202
The Texas Ayatollah
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dereck
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
Well damn i guess i shouldn't let those updates sit idle then huh?! Lol. Thank you
You're very welcome! Glad to help, speaking of which I literally just updated my phone again and didn't even know it downloaded it

Here's some pics to clear it up:

Pre update, 1.3 avail

Post update, 2.4 avail
Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #1204
The Texas Ayatollah
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Oh, cool!

Another question...if i'm storing something in iCloud, is it stored on the phone and in iCloud or can iCloud act as another 5gb of free storage?
iCloud can act as another source of free storage, but at the same time it's more of a backup restore point. You can go to manage storage under iCloud and choose what you want backed up manually from your phone, people tend to not really understand "the cloud" but really it's more of a piece of mind incase any of your devices crashes and loses it's memory, which includes itouches iPhones and macs or anything that's using your iTunes account, then you can go to iCloud and restore whatever was backed in iCloud
Hope that made any bit of sense
Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #1206
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay looks like its working. Thank you.

Next question: how do i get icloud to store my photos without streaming them to my other devices? I only want them to take up space on one device but be saved in the cloud too....is that possible?
Disable photostream in the icloud settings of your other devices.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #1208
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty sure i've never used it on any other device but i'll check! Thanks guys
I believe it's typically enabled by default if you connect to your iCloud account.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #1209
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought an iMac desktop. What are some of the favorite things/apps/ add ons that you like? I'm relatively new to them so i just have the basic that comes with it besides Final Cut Pro.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #1210
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedlinAround View Post
Just bought an iMac desktop. What are some of the favorite things/apps/ add ons that you like? I'm relatively new to them so i just have the basic that comes with it besides Final Cut Pro.
The desktops are awesome. I've had mine for about 5-6 years and it still runs great!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #1212
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really? My hp laptop is from 08 and its absolutely worn out. I have another cheaper gateway laptop that is only two or three years old and its not as fast as i'd like it to be. I have been considering a mac book or an imac
Once you experience the quality of a Mac computer, you'll never go back to using a regular PC. Unless you're using a PC for major gaming. Mac just works better and you don't have to worry about all the virus programs. I've never had a virus or a crash the entire time I've had this Mac. All the PC's I had before this would start to lag and be trash within 1.5 years. The HP I had died in about 6 months. Complete junk.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #1213
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
On my 2013 Macbook Air, I was cleaning up some space today on it and it says that I have nearly 40GB of "Other" data. I imagine 10-20 of that is the operating system but how can I tell what the other 20GB is? It is a really crappy way of breaking down the types of things taking up space on my hard drive. If someone has a free widget or program that I could download to use instead that'd be pretty awesome.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #1214
Aka: RainbowPuke
AR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AR15xAR10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Once you experience the quality of a Mac computer, you'll never go back to using a regular PC. Unless you're using a PC for major gaming. Mac just works better and you don't have to worry about all the virus programs. I've never had a virus or a crash the entire time I've had this Mac. All the PC's I had before this would start to lag and be trash within 1.5 years. The HP I had died in about 6 months. Complete junk.
I bought business line HP laptops and they were great for many years but everything wears out. I'm thinking if i want a desktop, then i'll someday build one. But for a laptop, i figure i'll buy a mac next time
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #1215
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
On my 2013 Macbook Air, I was cleaning up some space today on it and it says that I have nearly 40GB of "Other" data. I imagine 10-20 of that is the operating system but how can I tell what the other 20GB is? It is a really crappy way of breaking down the types of things taking up space on my hard drive. If someone has a free widget or program that I could download to use instead that'd be pretty awesome.
Downloads folder can get pretty out of hand if you're not careful, also anything large that may be in your trash can. fwiw I have 30gb of "other" on my Mac, and I don't work with a whole lot of large files. I have 1 5gig file on my desktop that is included in that 30.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #1216
The Texas Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
Well if there's anything like WinDirStat for the Mac then this would be what you're looking for
http://youtu.be/s0aJKlatgUA

Gives you a nice visual representation of what's what and how much space it's taking up
Old 08-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #1217
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Any ideas as to why my Mail app on my Macbook Air keeps restoring my junk email files? I've deleted a crapton since February and they keep ending up back in the folder (even when deleting the items from the trash).

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #1218
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really? My hp laptop is from 08 and its absolutely worn out. I have another cheaper gateway laptop that is only two or three years old and its not as fast as i'd like it to be. I have been considering a mac book or an imac
My 2007 24" iMAC was total junk.
3 screen replacements, mainboard, vid card, fans. Thing was total junk.
I believe that was the first year of the intel chips. I must have bought a real lemon.

I still have it if any one is interested in parts.
They flew a guy up from atlanta to replace everything in it last time. That was 2010 maybe, then it went out again.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #1220
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Just in case anybody else is having an issue with the iPhone5 wake / power button not functioning correctly , Apple is replacing them free if you are within 2 years of purchase

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457171,00.asp

I just got my phone back from having this done

Pretty painless experience and so much better after the switch was fixed

Products Discussed in this Thread