Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

old intel chip help

Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
old intel chip help

i'm working on a friends ancient computer. it has a socketed celeron 366mhz chip in it. can i replace it with a 500mhz celeron chip?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Thanks phantom. Already got the memory covered, taking out the two 64meg PC100 sticks and trying two 256meg PC133 sticks. Have buckets of them from systems I've gutted over the years. I've been in computers since 1979 but honestly never ever dealt with celeron chips. Seem like a waste of silicon to me.

This is a friend's machine, she doesn't have a lot of money to spend on it so I'm just trying parts I have in my computer dump room. Figure going from 366 to 500 probably isn't gonna help much, but what the heck I have the chip just sitting anyways.

The machine is an old HP box. Some other "tech" upgraded her from 98 (original OS) to XP home. It's for sure choking on the 128meg it has now, especially seeing how part is shared with the video.

Far as Linux, I love it....but for her...nope. She still thinks she needs AOL to get on the 'net!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
wow...i thought xp needed a minimum of 512 to run...and definately a faster processor than a 366 or even a 500...they'd be better off still running 98 or even 95
Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #4

It'll run in 128MB, and you'd be amazed how many machines in we get at work that are running only that! Takes forever to load Windoze alone, and heaven help ya if you wanna open a Word doc.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #5

You're bringing back memories! In the Air Force I worked on the ITT 465L system. Only three built, one was at March AFB in Riverside Ca (where I was), one at Offut AFB in Nebraska, and one at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana. They were SAC command and control systems, they were the backbone the Generals used to send commands to launch ICBMs, and the Pacific ocean Navy sub fleet got their orders through the ULF system hooked to the system in CA.

They used drum drives, big suckers, loved to watch them lift when they spun up. And core memory, it was on big planes dunked in cooling oil. We had a baseball bat that was a "parity error repair tool", we'd bop the side of the vat to dislodge anything in there that was causing parity errors.

Every gate was on a baby-board, the baby-boards plugged in to the mother-boards. When the thing failed (and it RARELY did) you didn't troubleshoot to the motherboard, you troubleshot to the bad transistor! It ran IIRC at 1Mhz and that was blazing for those days, the registers were 128 bits and you could manually set their start up states with pushbuttons on a huge console.

It took up a building the size of an aircraft hanger. The cooling and standby generator unit was in its own building, there was a picture of someone standing in one of the cylinders of the engine used for the generator.

What I liked best about all that was I KNOW how a computer works, watching bits travel through a register. Nowadays you just toss the thing if it doesn't work, back then you had to FIX it.

Now I'm feeling nostalgic!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Does anyone make a good salsa to go with these chips?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
ubuntu was cool to mess with but i dont prefer it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #8

well the 500Mhz chip went in and CPU-Z says it's running at 500. HP bought the crippled version of this board, there are no pins on the headers to change the bus speed, I tried soldering across the board lands but the FSB is still stuck at 66Mhz. So the faster memory won't help. It's better than it was anyways.

phantom, you visited March? When I was there it was full of BUFFs and crazy ass jarheads flying Phantoms. A company I worked for about 8 years ago sent me to San Diego for some training, I rented a car and visited March. It's a reserve base now. Sad. The chow hall parking lot is overgrown with weeds, the NCO club roof caved in, and somehow the Army got ahold of the dorm I lived in, painted it this nasty ass green. Depressing.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post

guess i am getting too old now
Happens to us lucky ones.