1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Network Administrators / Architects Help me out

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Joehs, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    Joehs

Joehs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    Hey guys,

Ran into an issue and I'm hoping someone can do a better job than I can at figuring it out.

Got a list of ~20 ip addresses for a client who will remain nameless. I need to figure out where they're located / which building / floor etc etc.

I've got a list of basic subnet's and masks to help, but short of that I'm in a bit of a loop here.

So far, I'm thinking the best way to do it is to grab a list from dos prompt with the arp command (from an administrators computer). Then individually run traceroutes on the IP's and match up the last hop with the mac address from arp to get me a least within ~40 devices of a physical location. That's a decent start I guess.

I'm looking into finding a way to script something up that asks the last hop (router/switch) which outgoing port it used to forward the packet to the end device. Anyone got any ideas on where to start on this?

Granted, it's more trouble than it's worth and I'll end up using the aforementioned method to get it done by visiting the areas I know from physical paths. But curiosity has the best of me at this point and I'd like to know if this is possible.

Fire away!

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    HogTaco

HogTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 2.7 2WD AT
    Bed Mat, OEM Running Boards, Ultra-Gauge.
    Find out if your company assigns static IP addresses first. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. If they assign them by MAC address, just get the list from an admin. Should have machine name included if they're doing their job.

You might peek at an email header to see what you can see. hint hint

Products Discussed in

To Top