Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Annoying issues with Comcast

Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Annoying issues with Comcast

I just moved to my apartment last week and got Comcast because I couldn't find a competitor

I have the following brand new gear:
Motorola surfboard SB6120
Cisco/Linksys E4200

I just tried uploading a 27kb file to photobucket and it craps out at 94% every time.

I do a speed test and it dies before the upload can begin. speakeasy, speedtest, cnet, you name it, all the same - consistent 20-22 mb down, craps out on upload test. I tested on both my Win7 machine and my Ubuntu machine, both with and without router attached.

I get a consistent 75ms ping on stuff like Day of Defeat
MW2 thinks my connection is fine

Anyone got clues? Any other ISPs I should consider? I found CenturyLink provides 1.5/896, which doesn't sound any better.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
J0hnMata is on a distinguished road

Name: John
J0hnMata's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks man i work for time warner out in CA which is basically what you have but i only do field collections and disconnections so i can't even help. If all else fails call and complain so they credit your bill since the service isnt working and set up a trouble call!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having problems with their digital cable right now and it's annoying the hell out of me. Internet is fine though but I'm looking for a cheaper provider right now. I only got this with gaming in mind but it's getting pricey.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
I'm having problems with their digital cable right now and it's annoying the hell out of me. Internet is fine though but I'm looking for a cheaper provider right now. I only got this with gaming in mind but it's getting pricey.
If you have any chance, always go with FIOS. I had a rock solid 15/5 link in Oregon.

Just tried to upload youtube for fun... doesn't get past 0%
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
x2 to this, maybe they are having problems in the valley idk, but im not a fan of them. I did manage to get them to give me about 400 ft in tv cables tho
Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
They may need to check your signal. I would have their service tech come out. Or your modem could be bad. I've had similar issues before & they had to boost my signal.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
If you have any chance, always go with FIOS. I had a rock solid 15/5 link in Oregon.

Just tried to upload youtube for fun... doesn't get past 0%
Fios?

Your problem might be a weak signal but idk why you only have problems uploading..
Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fios?

Your problem might be a weak signal but idk why you only have problems uploading..
FIOS(Verizon) is the ultimate highspeed internet, but only available in limited markets. It is run through fiber optic(speed of light), instead of coax like cable internet, or copper with phone lines for DSL.

http://communication.howstuffworks.c...tions/fios.htm
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
Victory is reserved...

Ah thanks for that info, I'll look into it.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 AM   #10
HogTaco is a jewel in the roughHogTaco is a jewel in the roughHogTaco is a jewel in the rough

HogTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Anyone got clues?
You sound like you know what you're doing, but have you checked your upstream traffic? If a device on your network is zombified, you could be saturating your pipe. P2P apps can also trigger bandwidth throttling for a lot of ISPs. I like tomato firmware on my routers. Easy to see what's going on.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
You could have a couple issues. Signal issue since you already bypassed the router and haveing same problem. Also it could be a bad modem these do go bad slot. More then people think. It's not a router issue if you have bypassed it and having same problem. Best thing to do is either take the modem to a service center and get it changed out or call them up and have them come out to you. I don't know if they charge for truck rolls tho.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #12
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Yea dude I'd try to get Comcast out there a few times first...I had a lot of issues with my internet when I first moved in to my house, and Comcast was the only high speed option there. I had them replace my line, then I upgraded my internet so I could get the Docsis 3(spelling?) modem. Internet is over 10mbps faster than it even should be...I'm pretty satisfied. I can download on my computer while playing cod on my ps3, no lag whatsoever.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Plus if you bitch about the problems with your service you can get them to knock off some money on your bill, etc.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Comcast is crap. A ton of marketing and bad management around what could be an actually decent product.

FIOS is very very good IF the actually have service in your area. A lot of phone companies have begun upgrading their services with fiber optic fairly close to your home. It's not fiber optic to your home like FIOS, but it's still very fast. If you can get FIOS or your phone company has invested in fiber in your area, those are awesome options. I have a CenturyLink 20mb service and it blows away Comcast's service.

Comcast worked well for games and surfing, but for uploading or serving web pages, it is awful. Their 'speedburst' feature is great if you're downloading a song or whatnot, but used to cause havoc with things like Netflix where you need a consistent stream for hours. IMO, Comcast always seems to be spending tons on marketing and offering loads of bandwidth to the newest customer at the expense of their actual customers. How fkn irritating to have to call them every 6 months and play that stupid game to get a better rate.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Comcast, FTL.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Nuggety

well, i got on the tech chat with "Rojhelou" today who said there's an outage in my area. He couldn't provide me with a timeframe, of course.

this was the fun part:

Quote:
me: Cannot upload photos, cannot upload videos, cannot perform bandwidith speed tests for uploads, connecting to websites is slow.
me: i should also mention that i have a brand new motorola sb6120 modem and linksys e4200 router. my tests were performed on both windows 7 and ubuntu 11
me: i also connected directly to the modem and get the same results
rojhelou: i see here that you are having slow internet connection, am i correct?
me: correction: downloading is fine, uploading fails.
me: uplaoding a 768kb file to photobucket fails at 94% consistently, uploading videos to youtube fails at 0%
me: speakeasy cannot perform an upload test, speedtest.net cannot perform an upload test, bandwidthplace.com cannot perform an upload test.
rojhelou: let me verify, i see here that you are having slow internet connection, am i correct?
me: basically yes
maybe something changed over the years, but SLOW means I can still get things done. FAIL means it doesn't work at all.

At least it's supposed to be an outage and they answered me quick.