Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Moving XP files to 7

Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: I was a mechanic
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Moving XP files to 7

Yes, I'm lazy. And yes, I still run XP at home.

Short and to the point: My mom in law has a new computer with 7 but her old harddrive (which is still usable) is formatted for XP. I don't know much about installs of 7 and migrating from XP to it. Now I do have a cable that lets me plug in an internal drive like its an external (runs thru USB).

SSSooooooooo ...can I plug the old XP HD right in and transfer everything ooorrrr....I have no idea.

Help?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to. As long as you already have 7 up and running, connecting in a hard drive shouldn't be an issue. Just don't transfer over the OS files as they wont serve any purpose. File extensions have changed for some programs over time, but windows 7 still recognizes them all.

Long story short, all the new files will move over and function fine
Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sweet! So would it work if I just plugged it into the SATA cable as an additional drive?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That is correct. As long as you don't boot up from that hard drive I don't see why it would be a problem. I have 4 hard drives on my computer, 2 internal and 2 ext. I have no problems moving files around.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

Well, turns out the HD in question is PATA ... go figure, lol. Good lord. OLD. Won't even plug into the MoBo.

Salright. One of the best $40 I ever spent was on a cable that plugs sata and pata drives in as externals through a usb. Thanks for your help though!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination

A PATA to SATA adapter is only like $4... If you need the info, very inexpensive route