Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

i5 2. ghz or 2.4 intel core 2 duo

Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
i5 2. ghz or 2.4 intel core 2 duo

Looking at upgrading my MacBook to MacBook Pro, is it really an upgrade if i go to a 2ghz i5 processor from a 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spares View Post
Looking at upgrading my MacBook to MacBook Pro, is it really an upgrade if i go to a 2ghz i5 processor from a 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo?
The answer is yes, it is an upgrade. Whether you will notice the difference or not will depend on what you use your Mac for.

In the end, the biggest reason to jump from the MacBook to the MacBook Pro is the change in chassis, the Magic Touchpad, extra inputs, and the fact that they don't make the regular MacBook anymore.

Fink
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
or just save the money and wait till it burns out... apple will support it for a long while
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus View Post
or just save the money and wait till it burns out... apple will support it for a long while
I imagine the value of it will go down, so if he does plan on upgrading soon and wants to sell it (for whatever reason), then now would probably be the time.

At least that's how I would look at it if I was the one itching for a MacBook Pro.

Fink
Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
I5 650@3.20ghz. windows 7 64bit OS and 4gb ram

I fucking love it immensly!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
Main reason for wanting to upgrade is more or less what you mentioned, Fink. Mine is 4 years old now and im thinking a larger, perhaps 15 inch screen would be nice along with the new features of the new MacBook Pro's. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spares View Post
Main reason for wanting to upgrade is more or less what you mentioned, Fink. Mine is 4 years old now and im thinking a larger, perhaps 15 inch screen would be nice along with the new features of the new MacBook Pro's. Thanks for the input guys.
I think upgrading now would be smart. Put yours up for sale, see what you can get for it and then go from there.

I'm lucky if I'm disciplined enough to keep a laptop for a year or two these days...

Fink
Old 10-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
The newer i5 hyperthreaded processor should be much faster than the older one, especially when multitasking. Not sure if the Mac's i5 is a dual core or a quad core, but hyperthreading effectively doubles the amount of cores the OS sees (dual core looks like a quad core and quad cores look like an 8 core). I'm not that familiar with Macs but if you run anything like Parallels, it should speed up that considerably (e.g. running Windows in a window rather than dual booting).