1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need A little help from the more experienced

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MrGuitarguy, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Dec 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    Agree on the roomate...i know ur parents are taking care of it...but if they need a place...i can only think of $300 extra bucks in your pocket...he needs a place and he wil be paying for one. So i dont think it would be taking advantage of the dude/girl

2. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    2wire is AT&T. Yours is probably U-Verse if you're getting that kind of speed (but even U-Verse tops out at 24mbps guaranteed). DSL maxes at 6mpbs guaranteed.

If you want TV, you could look into their bundle deals. Sometimes it's cheaper to go with a bigger bundle as they have promo rates and usually include free installation (which saves about $150). Some include additional cash back. Then after the promo period is up, drop to a cheaper package (e.g. U-Family). The more you bundle, the cheaper it will be overall. You can bundle phone service, internet, TV and cell phones.

They offer U-Verse internet-only as well (basic is only 3mbps). You might have an installation charge with that.

Nowadays, you can get most of your TV through the internet with sites like HULU Pro or Netflicks, so you might get by just as well with faster internet. U-Verse Max Turbo (24mbps) is $50/month for 12 months.

The only issue with U-Verse is availability. It's not everywhere so you may not get it depending on where you live.

They're $14.95 DSL is good for a year but it's only 1.5 Mbps and the way they bill it is pretty goofy (they charge you the full rate for 2 months and then rebate the rest of the year so it works out to $14.95/month.

3. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Sometimes you can threaten to cancel service at the end of the promo period and get another promo deal. If the service rep won't do it, ask for "Customer Retention." Their job is to keep you as a customer.

4. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Skip cable. Try to share internet with someone close. Or do internet and get netflix for tv, plus get local stations free. All about going the cheapest route first. Need to spend less not more. Most places today pump out free wifi, use theirs, not pay for it. Or if you have cellphone with data just teather it. You blow through $700 a month fast out on your own.

5. Dec 19, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    MrGuitarguy

MrGuitarguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Longbed SR5
    About the roomate: My parents didn't want me to get one. I'm not going to CL a roomate, and all my friends dont want to move out from their parents house or cant.

About internet: Thanks for the info, and I will look into the introductory thing. I probably wont get cable. No need too. I want to focus on school and health when I am not working, so IF I have time, I dont want to be using it to watch tv. And you guys are right, I can use HULU or Netflix (which I used to have and watched instead of TV. 8 bucks is worth the documentaries.
    Thanks for all the help guys. Keep the advice coming. Anything you guys think I should learn/look into.

6. Dec 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    Electric is not a choice you will have whatever place you choose will have one and only one electric company it's not like cable or Internet it's just you use whatever is there.

7. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    MrGuitarguy

MrGuitarguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Longbed SR5
    Not true. Not here in Texas, there are a few to choose from. and yes I am aware I have to pay that haha. Thanks though.

8. Dec 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    There are many companies here in Colorado and all other states too but every home is conected directly to the power grid for an electric company when it is built the same company will serve all or part of a town what I am saying is your electric service will be through what ever electric provider the electric for that particular house or apartment is you don't get to choose unless you choose where to live based on who the electric service is through its not like cable or Internet they can't just disconnect a property from one company and hook it up to another.

9. Dec 20, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Only $700 a month :eek: I spend at least $500 a month on gas!

10. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    cavince

cavince Active Member

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    23 Black SR5 DC
    Try Amazon.com's Prime Instant Streaming vs the offering of Netflix. $79/year... $6.59/month and I got better quality and more things I would watch.

11. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    You don't need cable, there are better ways to entertain yourself. If you can't separate yourself from the TV, there's always the internet.

I'd budget more like $300 for food. Get used to packing your own meals; eating out/fast food will run your food bill way above $300.

Quit drinking soda/beer, water is not only the healthiest thing for you it is also the cheapest.

You don't need a gym membership to be fit. Run outdoors, do body weight exercises, and get yourself a doorway mountable pull up bar.

Constantly seek additional sources of income; another job, a higher paying job, a side job, etc.

Get in the habit of turning lights off if they're not being used. Keep your heater and A/C set conservatively. Keep your water heater set low.

Seek financial aid. Take a loan if you truly need it, leave it be if you don't.

12. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    A programmable thermostat is a good investment. You can have different settings for different times of the day.

During the colder months, I programmed mine to be cool while I'm sleeping (e.g. 65) or not normally there (50) and to heat the house just prior to waking up (70). I also set it to warm the house just prior to getting home from work. The rest of the day it was set very low. It keeps the heater off for most of the day. The same can be done for warmer days and A/C.

I got the one I had from Walmart for about $30.

Products Discussed in

To Top