Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

All you computer guys- Market for new computer

Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
All you computer guys- Market for new computer

I'm in the market for a new computer. Preferably a laptop or macbook for the right price. I have a Windows 15.6" Laptop right now http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15.6-25...519WM/12347224
Things i mostly do on it besides surfing the internet is mostly editing my GoPro vids. so i would like a decent display/etc. I'm not really sure on a good computer to get for a decent price. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
haven't been up on the latest,..i must confess.. though i've been watching qvc and hsn live streams past couple days, ..they seem to have some pretty good deals on high-powered laptops, ... i think qvc is mainly pushing HP laptops, ..w/ biometric thumbprint readers, blueray player, installed antivirus, etc.. might be worth a checking out,... i'm afraid i'm addicted to watching this crap!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
What's your price range?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned 3 laptops. One Vaio I received in 2005, used all day and all night for months, left on for 8 months at one point as a media server, still runs perfectly to this day. In 2009 I was given an HP laptop that began falling apart for various reasons, sometime later the screen cracked and I decided to replace it with another Vaio. I spent $600 but it handles everything I do, which is heavy on music and music production, as well as managing videos and school stuff. It also has 3G service. I wouldn't buy any other brand of computer.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Editing videos, MacBook Pro!

I have the mid-range model MBP. The 15" and I love mine.

If you're going to be editing videos DO NOT get the 13" because the Core i7 (Processor) in those aren't as powerful as the 15" or 17". The Core i7 in those I believe have only Dual Cores with Hyper-Threading, so the Mac OS X only sees 4 cores, while on the 15"/17" Hyper-Threading is enabled on a Quad Core and you get 8 cores. 8 > 4. Plus the Graphics chip in the 15"/17" models aren't just integrated graphics, unlike the 13", those models have an ATI graphics chip inside. If the Macbook Pro 15" fits your budget, go for it! I have another MacBook from 2006 when Apple first introduced the black plastic ones, and it's still running considerably quick with no problems for it's age, which I can't say for other laptops from it's era.

If you're going to get a PC. Asus makes really nice laptops, and Sony Vaios make good laptops too. HP makes decent desktops, and friends who have HP laptops never have had any problems either.

Things you'll want in video editing:
- Core i5 at the minimum, no Core i3! Core i7 is better (MacBook Pros only come in Core i7s, except for the base model 13" those have a Core i5)
- At least 4GB of RAM (The more the better!!)
- At least a 500GB Hard Disk (The more the better!)
- Make sure the laptop does NOT use Integrated Intel Graphics, or Integrated nVidia/ATI Graphics. While an Integrated nVidia/ATI graphics card will fare better than an Intel one, getting a laptop with a dedicated nVidia/ATI graphics card is considerably better and I highly recommend that.
- As far as screens go, I find that when I shoot photos with my DSLR i like to edit/view them on my MacBook rather than on my PC. The screens on these computers are stellar.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
vatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedvatrdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
vatrdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to vatrdtaco
My wife & I have Toshibas & are happy with them, quality wise. Dell makes a good one, as long as you buy from Dell. Don't buy a Dell from Best Buy or Walmart. The only thing HP makes that I will own are their printers. Their laptops are prone to hardware failure.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrdtaco View Post
My wife & I have Toshibas & are happy with them, quality wise. Dell makes a good one, as long as you buy from Dell. Don't buy a Dell from Best Buy or Walmart. The only thing HP makes that I will own are their printers. Their laptops are prone to hardware failure.
x2 on the dell.

i have an oldddd dell from when i was in elementary school that still works. Extremely slow, but works.