Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

a storm is a brewing "VZW"

Old 11-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
a storm is a brewing "VZW"

so who else is getting a blackberry storm?? pearl user here but making the upgrade!! oh ya!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Give a review on the phone looks cool.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

def will do i'll be picking mine up tomorrow morning
Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I wish VZW didn't require BB users to have the BB data plan (and now VZW made it so anyone who wants to pick up a new model smartphone has to have a data plan.) I don't need internet and email on my phone, but would like some features of smartphones. Oh well.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i have the curve with alltel and love it. alltel kinda sucks but i dont want to go back to verizon, although after the buyout i guess i'm running out of options. i've always HATED touch phones but i have to admit the storm looks good. i may eventually end up with it once it starts spreading to other providers. BB's kick ass! let us know what you love and hate about the storm, i'm interested in feedback
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
Na - I like my Palm Centro
i wouldn't mind playing around with a palm. i've never really had the chance but they look cool.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I wish VZW didn't require BB users to have the BB data plan (and now VZW made it so anyone who wants to pick up a new model smartphone has to have a data plan.) I don't need internet and email on my phone, but would like some features of smartphones. Oh well.
+1. thats the reason i wouldnt get it, along with the fact i'd be messing with my contract and get some hefty fees and have to pay retail for the phone. simply costs too much per month for the BB. Im happy with my LG Voyager for the time being.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #9

nd's Tacoma Gallery
so with verizon you cant buy a data phone without the plan? thats lame. what if you bought one and a plan, then after a month dropped the data plan and just kept the voice plan? can they do that? see, thats exactly why i left verizon. i stayed withthem for 5 years and when i asked what they were willing to do to keep me from going to a competitor the guy actually said, and i quote "nothing". i opted to walk out of the store instead of punching him. now i'm with alltel, and have had a number of issues and verizon ended up buying them.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
so with verizon you cant buy a data phone without the plan? thats lame. what if you bought one and a plan, then after a month dropped the data plan and just kept the voice plan? can they do that? see, thats exactly why i left verizon. i stayed withthem for 5 years and when i asked what they were willing to do to keep me from going to a competitor the guy actually said, and i quote "nothing". i opted to walk out of the store instead of punching him. now i'm with alltel, and have had a number of issues and verizon ended up buying them.
Verizon just made a new policy that any phone released on or after November 14th requires a data plan. I don't know if that means that if you buy one that was released before the 14th that you don't need a data plan though.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...other-changes/
Old 11-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
FJ FTW!

ok so i have my storm now, the screen is amazing much better then the iphone, however i think they released it a little early, the software is laggy and for power users it kinda sucks hopefully they will release an update soon, all in all its a pretty cool phone although i think i enjoyed my pearl more hmm should i keep or sell maybe i will give it a few more days.

One thing about the click screen is that you highlight to select and press down to acknowlegde it, kinda hard to get use to, i find myself touching from key to key and remember to press down.

Screen transitions are laggy and prob are about the same as the voyager or dare hopefully an software update will fix this.

pretty cool though came loaded with a 8gb card and a sim card.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #13

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_x View Post
ok so i have my storm now, the screen is amazing much better then the iphone, however i think they released it a little early, the software is laggy and for power users it kinda sucks hopefully they will release an update soon, all in all its a pretty cool phone although i think i enjoyed my pearl more hmm should i keep or sell maybe i will give it a few more days.

One thing about the click screen is that you highlight to select and press down to acknowlegde it, kinda hard to get use to, i find myself touching from key to key and remember to press down.

Screen transitions are laggy and prob are about the same as the voyager or dare hopefully an software update will fix this.

pretty cool though came loaded with a 8gb card and a sim card.
verizon uses sim cards now? that's a huge selling point for me, after having one in my nextel. i dont think i like the idea of a pressure screen and having to push down on it. but i'd like to play with it. i played with the "bold" for the first time this wknd and it is really damn cool! hte 3g is fast as shit!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
verizon uses sim cards now? that's a huge selling point for me, after having one in my nextel. i dont think i like the idea of a pressure screen and having to push down on it. but i'd like to play with it. i played with the "bold" for the first time this wknd and it is really damn cool! hte 3g is fast as shit!
No, Verizon is still CDMA. Phones that are GSM capable use sim cards. Since the rest of the world is GSM, the Storm has a sim car because it is a World Phone.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
I'll be trading up from the Pearl.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, Verizon is still CDMA. Phones that are GSM capable use sim cards. Since the rest of the world is GSM, the Storm has a sim car because it is a World Phone.
oh i gotcha. it has one but as long is you are on verizon or alltel you cant use it since they are both cdma? i dont understand why cdma networks cant come out with a variation of a sim card.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
kinda. the sim card is disabled whenever the phone is getting a CDMA signal. Not sure if it would switch if you're in the US and cant get any CDMA signal. the sim card is used when it can only get a GSM signal, like when not in the US.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
FJ FTW!

SIM card is for out of country networks although ive read on BB forums you can use tmobile or att network you just cant use the 3g.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #19
FJ FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taconinja View Post
I'll be trading up from the Pearl.
thats what i did, wondering if i should go back lol the storm is cool and all but ill have to give it sometime.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #20

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
kinda. the sim card is disabled whenever the phone is getting a CDMA signal. Not sure if it would switch if you're in the US and cant get any CDMA signal. the sim card is used when it can only get a GSM signal, like when not in the US.
but if you have verizon and you go to europe it still wont work