Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

10 Hours of My Life I Will Never Get Back!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
10 Hours of My Life I Will Never Get Back!

<begin rant>
Spent 10 hours restoring my Moms 4 year old laptop back to the factory setup, installed all the shitty Vista operating system updates, uninstalled all the free shitty trial software, installed MS Office 2007 and all those updates, installed antivirus then replaced her pictures and documents and set up her banking, Facebook and email (took two breaks for meals). She was actually getting pissed at me because it was taking soooo long on her old shitty computer! EVERY change I made involved a 5 min. reboot!!!

Anyway, I kept my cool and it's now running smooth. Glad it's over and I'm glad I did the job right!! I hope she gets another year or two out of it!!
<end rant>
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
...waits for apple fanboys...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
brett1586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brett
brett1586's Tacoma Gallery
Year or two with Vista?? Hmm.......

Edit: I'm sorry I just hate Vista, that may have been a bit harsh. Props to you for enduring the time it too to get through it. Did it myself for my mom, I completely understand how aggravating and time consuming it is.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
I hate getting stuck with machines that take all day to fix and I always fix for friends and family.

My desktop came with vista and it was a pain in the ***...I downgraded to Windows XP as soon as I could. Vista belongs down there in Microsoft's history with it's worst operating systems ever. Windows 7 is quite the improvement, and friends' computers I fix now that are capable of running 7, i recommend they go out and get an install disc of 7. It won't be long now before Microsoft completely phases out one of it's best and most popular Operating Systems
Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1586 View Post
Year or two with Vista?? Hmm.......

Edit: I'm sorry I just hate Vista, that may have been a bit harsh. Props to you for enduring the time it too to get through it. Did it myself for my mom, I completely understand how aggravating and time consuming it is.
Yea I hate it too. But if I switched the OS, she would never figure it out!!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
She has a Celeron with 1GB of RAM?

10 hours seems ridiculous. I can usually knock those out in 3 hours.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
You are a good son.

But you figure 10 hours x what you make an hour at your job. Plus the two hours over time past 8 hours.

Maybe it would have been cheaper to buy her a new one on sale.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
Yea I hate it too. But if I switched the OS, she would never figure it out!!
The difference between Win7 and Vista from a amateur end user's POV is minimal, mom should be fine if you end up upgrading.

I make sure that if I'm not paid in cash, I'm paid in homemade pie
Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
armstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aviator...Four Fans Of Freedom
Name: Sean
armstrsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
...waits for apple fanboys...

you wouldn't have these problems with a Mac.. sorry just had to!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I've had Vista on my PC since it came out and don't have any real issues with it. But I built it and am capable of fixing anything myself .. I was a bit rough before SP 1.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrsm View Post
Also wouldn't have a problem if they had spent their money better and bought a decent PC.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea I know what you mean .... my house and lab are FULL of Macs!!

As for payment ... I won't tell you what I make in 10 hours but I was on holidays so it doesn't really matter. She did leave me 3 bottles of homemade wine, a jar of homemade blueberry jam, and a jar of moose meat so it wasn't a complete loss! LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
At least it was hands on. I hate when someone calls and wants you to troubleshoot\resolve over the phone and they know nothing about computers. I know just enough to be dangerous. But because I do software support for the company I work for they assume I know everything about computers.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
lol my boss told me that when his parents still had a 386, his dad would read him the BIOS status messages

"Dad, I don't need to hear how much RAM it has, and I don't care what the BIOS revision is"
"No, it's OK when it says boot up floppy seek failed"
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacoma View Post
At least it was hands on. I hate when someone calls and wants you to troubleshoot\resolve over the phone and they know nothing about computers. I know just enough to be dangerous. But because I do software support for the company I work for they assume I know everything about computers.
I know what you mean. When she got home she tried to connect to her wireless and didn't know the password. So I had to walk her through the steps of resetting the wireless an connecting. I didn't bother with the wireless security because I would still be on the phone with her. I said .... You MUST know someone local who can set it up for you! She is a couple thousand miles from here.

Because you know about computers, everyone assumes that you should be able to easily help them out over the phone!

Oh well..... she's my mom and you gotta love her!!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
You're a good son. Just did something similar for my FIL. He's German and knows nothing about computers. Had to tell the wife who translated back to him how to set up his router. The things we do for our aging parents!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
lol my boss told me that when his parents still had a 386, his dad would read him the BIOS status messages

"Dad, I don't need to hear how much RAM it has, and I don't care what the BIOS revision is"
"No, it's OK when it says boot up floppy seek failed"
Ahhh

I wish I had a 386 that still ran.

Or an original IBM PC...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
Common sense isn't very common!
CrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Port Dawgs
Name: Johnathan
CrazyCooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i second. I hated my pc's and always had issues but i havent had any in 2 years with my macbook pro. Good job on fixing it for her though. Was she at least thankful when you were done?