Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

IT BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Not a professional, but i do side work. What i hate most is that; at our work we have a ticket support system. EVERYONE comes to my office instead of using that. And when i tell them to reboot their computer "oh i did that". I go look over, reboot it myself, and their problem is solved. I must have a magic touch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
How much RAM is showing up in the BIOS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
OP, are you sure the board can handle that ram? Dumb question, but have you pulled the ram, gone back to the 4g and tried again?
So I know Krap pretty well.... What is the rest of your guy's IT experience?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Been in IT since '99. Started out C/C++ programming on UNIX. Loved UNIX, loathed programming. Moved to software QA for a few years while going to school for networking. Been the systems admin at my company for almost 7 years now.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've been in the IT field for years and years. All I can say is this.

"Fuck end users"
Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post

"Fuck end users"

Why would you say some thing like that? End users are the greatest invention since.....
Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post

"Fuck end users"
and Fuck Printers.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea printers are bastards
Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
beaker1214 will become famous soon enough

beaker1214's Tacoma Gallery
I am a systems engineer right now contracted at a very large beer manufacturer. I do level 3 support for the all the breweries, bottle and can manufactures in the North American Zone. Mostly interested in storage and Vmware but my focus on root cause analysis. Been in the field for about 5 years and its a love hate relationship! I was never really a computer nerd (no offense anyone) but I went to school for Information Systems Technology because I know there is money to be made in it. I love the constant change and challenges that come with IT. But I do also hate some of the stress that comes up with it...its never fun to get called in the middle in the night and brewing is held up causing a production outage. I also hate how every family and friend always wants me to work on their computers all the time lol. But I like to help people even though inside I am screaming because its usually something really dumb they did like get a virus from clicking a link to give them a million bucks!....But this is cool and I would be interested to hear where you all work and your experience in the field.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #28

Sounds like a cool gig, Beaker. Ive always thought it would be pretty cool for one of the macro breweries.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #29

*to work for
Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #30
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Op: could be one of the RAM slots. Time to play memory roulette!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker1214 View Post
I am a systems engineer right now contracted at a very large beer manufacturer. I do level 3 support for the all the breweries, bottle and can manufactures in the North American Zone. Mostly interested in storage and Vmware but my focus on root cause analysis. Been in the field for about 5 years and its a love hate relationship! I was never really a computer nerd (no offense anyone) but I went to school for Information Systems Technology because I know there is money to be made in it. I love the constant change and challenges that come with IT. But I do also hate some of the stress that comes up with it...its never fun to get called in the middle in the night and brewing is held up causing a production outage. I also hate how every family and friend always wants me to work on their computers all the time lol. But I like to help people even though inside I am screaming because its usually something really dumb they did like get a virus from clicking a link to give them a million bucks!....But this is cool and I would be interested to hear where you all work and your experience in the field.
That sounds like the typical IT guy. I get all the same issues from the late night calls (very few) to the family members that need help all the time.

I've been working in IT for almost 8 years. i work for a small consulting firm and i support a little bit of everything. I specialize in about everything server related, from VMware to Citrix. I enjoy it some days and hate it others.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #32

I've been in the professional world for about 5 years, been doing support the whole time, although now I'm taking on project management as well. I'm not a programmer, but I can program a Cisco router, but my real passion is in hardware, especially cabling and data center systems. I'm about the same as everyone else here, someday's it's great, someday's it's terrible.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #33
thecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thecoldone06's Tacoma Gallery
SMTP gateway went down over the weekend and nobody received any mail over the weekend. Makes for a great start to my week
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Always loved this movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUUptX0i55g
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #35
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Office Space is canon at my place of employment. You either know it, or you don't work for us. lol.

IT monkey here. I've been doing this for what seems like forever. I guess it's been about 10 years. Got in with a local consulting firm right out of college and been with them since. Worked my way up the ladder and am now a Senior Network Engineer.

Let's see: I work mainly on the server and router infrastructures for our clients. I'm considered a "Level III tech" here in our parlance, but that doesn't mean much out of my company. Got the basic CompTIA certs (A+, Net+, Sec+) and am working on my MCITP certification. Only a couple tests left on that one and hope to have it finally wrapped up in the next month or so. I do a lot of Cisco equipment maintenance and installation, including routers, Catalyst switches, and VOIP solutions. Just about ready to go get my CCNA as well.

Did workstation level stuff for a while in the early days. My team gets most of those jobs now. Used to pull cable a lot also, but we developed an actual wiring team internally, and I'm not on it, so I don't get to do much wiring anymore. I kinda miss it to be honest. It was nice to get out and do some work with my hands to get out of the office every now and then.

I'm with you guys on the love/hate thing. I take pride in my work, and I love my company. I'm certainly not going to leave the industry any time soon. But I do tire of the end-user nonsense. But you honestly get that everywhere. I worked retail in school for a while, and I'd rather deal with a corrupted Exchange mailstore EVERY DAY then step into those shoes ever again.

-Trent
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of RAM...

I tried to restore an old machine a friend had...The machine had the same motherboard as mine, but when i got home i realized there is no RAM inside! He told me the computer just quit working one day.

Soooo i stuck one of mine in, and it doesn't boot or even power on right. No beeps, no video. Just the fans all running maxed. He wanted his old stuff off so i just took the hard drive out and put it in my machine, booted up a livecd of Ubuntu because windows refused to mount the hard drive, it shows up in Disk Management but I couldn't access it...turns out the hard drive was about to fail (according to Ubuntu), and I got all the files he needed no problem.

Now, when I took the one RAM stick i put in the other machine back into mine, BEEEEP. I took the RAM back out and my machine boots fine. What do you guys think? I suspected his machine somehow may have destroyed that RAM stick...i doubt it was static because I did have a strap on and i know never to touch the metal contacts.

I'm still running Windows XP on that machine so loosing 512MB of RAM wasn't a problem i still had 3GB more, but I never figured out why that one 512 stick went bad.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
By the way, I have been fixing computers for at least 4 years now, got my CompTia A+ and IC3 certifications two years ago...what would be next? Net+? Which I was considering, but the school district I was in didn't have vouchers for Net+ tests.

I'm not planing to get into the IT field, it's just more of a side hobby, but I have considered maybe having an IT Job part-time...
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I've been kicking around the idea doing IT work. I do my own and I can usually do most of it without help. But what I hate you can't always physically see what you did. I'm always behind on my updates. I haven't touched our pc in months. Kinda afraid too.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #39
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname150 View Post
Speaking of RAM...

I tried to restore an old machine a friend had...The machine had the same motherboard as mine, but when i got home i realized there is no RAM inside! He told me the computer just quit working one day.

Soooo i stuck one of mine in, and it doesn't boot or even power on right. No beeps, no video. Just the fans all running maxed. He wanted his old stuff off so i just took the hard drive out and put it in my machine, booted up a livecd of Ubuntu because windows refused to mount the hard drive, it shows up in Disk Management but I couldn't access it...turns out the hard drive was about to fail (according to Ubuntu), and I got all the files he needed no problem.

Now, when I took the one RAM stick i put in the other machine back into mine, BEEEEP. I took the RAM back out and my machine boots fine. What do you guys think? I suspected his machine somehow may have destroyed that RAM stick...i doubt it was static because I did have a strap on and i know never to touch the metal contacts.

I'm still running Windows XP on that machine so loosing 512MB of RAM wasn't a problem i still had 3GB more, but I never figured out why that one 512 stick went bad.
I would guess his mobo or power supply spiked and killed your ram. Power supplies do some strange things when they start going bad. I had an old P4 system I was about to scrap cause I figured the mobo was toast and figured I'd save a few parts. I realized the PSU was going bad and causing POST failures and bluescreens like crazy. New power supply and it was up and running again like a champ. Still is too.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper6speed View Post
I've been kicking around the idea doing IT work. I do my own and I can usually do most of it without help. But what I hate you can't always physically see what you did. I'm always behind on my updates. I haven't touched our pc in months. Kinda afraid too.
I turn auto updates off on everything I touch, and most people in IT do rely on others with separate expertise to help pretty frequently. The key is paying your software vendor for support, because then you always have someone else to blame.

Products Discussed in this Thread