Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

IT BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #41
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I guess you could call me IT in my office. I'm technically a drafter, but I'm the most IT knowledgeable in the office (6 users). Had CCNA and half of a CCNP at one point, took some network and Microsoft classes, did an internship at a large financial network operations center.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #42
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I guess you could call me IT in my office. I'm technically a drafter, but I'm the most IT knowledgeable in the office (6 users). Had CCNA and half of a CCNP at one point, took some network and Microsoft classes, did an internship at a large financial network operations center.
Sounds like one of my buddies... CAD drafter and spends a few hours a week on IT related projects.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #43
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
I turn auto updates off on everything I touch, and most people in IT do rely on others with separate expertise to help pretty frequently. The key is paying your software vendor for support, because then you always have someone else to blame.
I figured out a long time ago that i can't know everything although i would like to. Google is my best resource and if i can't figure it out with some help from google, off to the vendor it is.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #44
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Well it sounds like XP 32 bit can only handle 4 gigs of RAM so the OS probably is your problem. Time to upgrade to 7. Now I have had some issues with a machine that I upgraded to win7 32 bit so hopefully you don't run into the problems I had.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #45
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
studying for CCNP Security SECURE test...dry as hell!!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #46
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
I work IT for a school district. 10,000 pc's or so.
I'm a level 2 tech, so im in charge of web filtering, AV, and stuff like package deployment, and things the level 1's can't fix.

My favorite IT thing was when our email system was down and someone called and asked if we were going to send out an email letting people know it was down.

Another one was when something was going on and google was making us put in random characters to verify we weren't a bot, and someone asked if we were going to call google and tell them to fix that. Yeah, I'll get right on that.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #47
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Yea that's how I got it back up and running, did the same 16 gb config on an identical workstation, it should work fine. I'm 99% positive its just an OS issue that wont matter when I image it to 7 64.
I had a similar problem with a raid setting in the bios (SATA operation). When the computer was set to anything but "Legacy", it would reboot like that (XP32).
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #48
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I had a similar problem with a raid setting in the bios (SATA operation). When the computer was set to anything but "Legacy", it would reboot like that (XP32).
I had a warehouse full of Dell OptiPlex towers doing the same thing after they had a ghost image dropped on them. With the BIOS set to AHCI, they'd sit there in a reboot loop all day long. Took a couple of hair pulling hours to figure that one out.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #49
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
I had a warehouse full of Dell OptiPlex towers doing the same thing after they had a ghost image dropped on them. With the BIOS set to AHCI, they'd sit there in a reboot loop all day long. Took a couple of hair pulling hours to figure that one out.
The one I was using was an Optiplex as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #50
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Yea you cant change the way the hard drive communicates with the MOBO and expect the OS to work...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #51
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I would guess his mobo or power supply spiked and killed your ram. Power supplies do some strange things when they start going bad. I had an old P4 system I was about to scrap cause I figured the mobo was toast and figured I'd save a few parts. I realized the PSU was going bad and causing POST failures and bluescreens like crazy. New power supply and it was up and running again like a champ. Still is too.
Hmm....i do have an old PSU in my closet, maybe i can use that and fire it up. See if it works or not.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #52
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
I hope you guys have seen this. It's old, but hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE
Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #53
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen emails take so damn long other than from Microsoft. I'm trying to get a VL key so i can finish this server build and it's now been 15 min. without an email.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #54
dagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud ofdagul has much to be proud of

dagul's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda cool to see a thread like this pop up. Didn't realize how many IT professionals are on this forum as I've been taught that our community is rather small...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #55
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagul View Post
Kinda cool to see a thread like this pop up. Didn't realize how many IT professionals are on this forum as I've been taught that our community is rather small...
oh no, IT is a rather LARGE community.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #56
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Working with client to build them a 5000 page online flipping book. Received all their PDFs last week. Spent 4 days creating the hyperlinks in the PDF and a day of programming the Flipping Book. First review due last friday and we delivered. Came to us today with all new PDFs...have to redo everything I just did. charging $100/hr now..i'm so pissed I have to do this shit all over again
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #57
robstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant future

Name: Rob
robstaco35's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an IT professional, passed first two server 2008 tests and should be passing CCNA next month. Work for a service company/data center in Ma we are also opening a second data center in NH if anyone in the NH area is looking for some work
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #58
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no computer wizard, but I do help out individuals on bleepingcomputer.com from time to time.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by robstaco35 View Post
I'm an IT professional, passed first two server 2008 tests and should be passing CCNA next month. Work for a service company/data center in Ma we are also opening a second data center in NH if anyone in the NH area is looking for some work
CCNA is good shit, I'm in routing protocols now.... I was pretty torqued to hear that I am going to have to renew my cert every 3 years now
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I'm no computer wizard, but I do help out individuals on bleepingcomputer.com from time to time.
Never heard of it... how does that work?

Products Discussed in this Thread