Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

IT BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #1301
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
But like they said also, check on what capacity your laptop will support. XP's limit is 4gb but your computer's limit may be less.

Sometimes, it will be higher than what the manufacturer shows because at the time of manufacture, memory sticks weren't available that would go higher. I have a Dell that stated it's upper limit was 2GB. I put 4GB in and it worked fine (3.5 as stated above).
Evil Monkey speaks troof.

*nods
Old 05-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #1302
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
Evil Monkey speaks troof.

*nods
And don't argue with an armed sysadmin.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #1303
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
ok mine maxes out at 3.5. you guys are awesome. saved me a lot of money and time. neither of which i have much extra of now.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #1304
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
should i just go ahead and replace both sticks since theyre the same age and have been through the same abuses?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #1305
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
should i just go ahead and replace both sticks since theyre the same age and have been through the same abuses?
I would.

How much is matched 1GB sticks of 800mhx right now? $20-30 I think. Silly cheap.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #1306

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a plan. sweet.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #1307
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually, no it does not depend. Hardware RAM, like on a dedicated video card, is counted against the 4GB max up front, before the OS gets a crack at it as 'system memory'.

I have tested this a hundred times (no, literally...I build custom gaming rigs for people as a side job), and it is as such, and has been since day 1. Shared RAM is from the same RAM pool as system memory, yes, so if you dedicate 512 MB of 'system RAM' to the 'video card' you'll have half a gig less on the OS tab.

However, I've done this personally: Put 4 GB of RAM on a motherboard, add in a 1GB nVidia 650GTX, install XP32.

The OS shows 3GB of available RAM, no matter what you do it cannot see more.
Guess I never looked at that. Interesting

Quote:
too bad you didn't need desktop RAM. I'd toss some at your face for the price of shipping and a cheeseburger.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #1308

Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Guess I never looked at that. Interesting
I've actually won cash money from other IT folks at 3 of my last 4 jobs with that bet. Only two jobs back did one guy know this already and had the good sense not to bet me.

Honestly, you have to be a hardcore gamer, a builder of gaming rigs, or an exo-uber-nerdgeek to know that offhand.

(Hint: I'm all three. Scary and/or sad, pick one)
Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #1309

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've actually won cash money from other IT folks at 3 of my last 4 jobs with that bet. Only two jobs back did one guy know this already and had the good sense not to bet me.

Honestly, you have to be a hardcore gamer, a builder of gaming rigs, or an exo-uber-nerdgeek to know that offhand.

(Hint: I'm all three. Scary and/or sad, pick one)
well whatever you want to call yourself im glad i talked to yall. this computers been with me for a while and i didnt want to scrap her.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1310

Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just happy we could collectively help, mon.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #1311

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
never thought id be getting computer help from a truck forum haha
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #1312
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
My laptop came with 1GB RAM, maxed it out at 2GB. But it's from early 2006.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #1313

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
yea mines an 07. but ive got the new one coming in in a week so we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #1314
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm just getting into Hyper-V and I'm using it for my dev laptop.

Here's what I've done:
- Created a fixed size VHDX called 'Base OS', 32GB
-Created a VM called 'Base OS', linked it to the VHDX of the same name, and installed Windows 8 and all the basic stuff
-Created a differencing VHDX called OLY-IT-30A, 32GB and used Base OS as a parent
-Created a VM called OLY-IT-30A, linked it to the VHDX of the same name. Installed some additional stuff.

The problem:
I'm now trying to install Visual Studio 2010 SP1 on OLY-IT-30A and the installer says it doesn't have enough space.
I shut down I tried to expand the differencing disk to 60GB. When I boot back up, the VM doesn't recognize the extra space.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #1315

Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
First, find out if the VDI you're running is actually out of space. Now, I don't know what the footprint of Win8 is on a running machine. For comparisons sake, I can 'make' a clean 7 install under 20GB easy. But, for practical intents and purposes, everyday use makes it a lot bigger.

If your original 32GB disk isn't big enough, then the 'child' associated with it may NOT grow if you expand the childs disk image...it could stay reflecting the 'parent' size regardless. I don't have much time on Hyper-V, but look into this, as I know there were a couple similar bugs in older versions of Citrix's virt installs.

Now, that said, I don't know how big 8 needs to be. Personally, I'd rather slam my dick in a car door than run 8 on a desktop, but that's another discussion. 7 (plus normal office, plus normal security hotfixes and SPs, plus Internet Exploder and all its fixes and patches, plus .Net, plus Java, plus...etc etc) and Visual Studio and all ITS fixes and patches? I wouldn't want to try to get that in less than 64GB. To be honest, in a 'first try' like this, I'd start with 100GB disk files until I got my head around how big they grow with 'normal' use.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #1316
Nuggety

Sorry, I didn't explain it as thorough as I should. Managed to figure it out, though!

The base VM has Win 8, all patches, Office, and some common software tools. I've got it all installed and set up, it took about 20GB, so the parent drive has 10GB of free space.

On the 'child' VM, I've added Visual Studio 2010 and SQL 2008. It now has 4GB free space (because it thinks it's still only 30GB), which is not enough space for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 to install. I expanded the child disk, but it wasn't showing any extra space.

Just figured out that I needed to open Disk Management in the child VM and expand the disk
Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #1317

Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
hey, baby steps!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #1318
Nuggety

I can't believe I didn't discover this before. Also figured out you can squish down the blue connection bar (at least, in Win 8 I can)

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastr...-ui-at-last-2/
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #1319
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #1320
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
This is true

Products Discussed in this Thread