Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

IT BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
IT BS thread

Bring your IT woes and excitement here, there are a few IT professionals that I know on the site, Krap22, Fink, and myself, but if there are others out there in the woodwork come on in and chit chat with us!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Not a professional, but i do side work. What i hate most is that; at our work we have a ticket support system. EVERYONE comes to my office instead of using that. And when i tell them to reboot their computer "oh i did that". I go look over, reboot it myself, and their problem is solved. I must have a magic touch?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll kick this off with a , I went to increase RAM in one of our Dr's pc's this weekend, moving from 4 to 16 in preparation for win 7 64 bit. And after popping the new RAM in, the OS wouldn't boot, xp 32.... The same process has worked just fine for me elsewhere... so I dunno why it was a problem on this machine... I hope the new RAM isn't f'ed up...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Not a professional, but i do side work. What i hate most is that; at our work we have a ticket support system. EVERYONE comes to my office instead of using that. And when i tell them to reboot their computer "oh i did that". I go look over, reboot it myself, and their problem is solved. I must have a magic touch?
Haha I feel ya, people always say "since you are on the phone it's probably going to work now" and it usually does, haha
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
I'll kick this off with a , I went to increase RAM in one of our Dr's pc's this weekend, moving from 4 to 16 in preparation for win 7 64 bit. And after popping the new RAM in, the OS wouldn't boot, xp 32.... The same process has worked just fine for me elsewhere... so I dunno why it was a problem on this machine... I hope the new RAM isn't f'ed up...
That weird, i thought if you had extra ram to a 32, it will still work, but the OS won't acknowledge more than 4?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
That weird, i thought if you had extra ram to a 32, it will still work, but the OS won't acknowledge more than 4?
In a perfect world yes.... that's why I'm questioning the DIMM's.... shit was pricey, it better not be effed up...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
have you tried them one at a time? have you also verified that the machine will take the larger DIMM's?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
have you tried them one at a time? have you also verified that the machine will take the larger DIMM's?
I haven't tried that, but I'm positive the mobo will take the larger dimm's.

How did the servers go this AM?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I haven't tried that, but I'm positive the mobo will take the larger dimm's.

How did the servers go this AM?
Nice and easy.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Nice and easy.
Couldn't ask for better on a Monday morn!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
nope, but it could get interesting this afternoon.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
nope, but it could get interesting this afternoon.
Busy afternoon?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Busy afternoon?
could be, depending on how it goes. I have a P2V i have to do this afternoon that I hope goes smoothly.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
How much RAM is showing up in the BIOS?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
could be, depending on how it goes. I have a P2V i have to do this afternoon that I hope goes smoothly.
english please, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
How much RAM is showing up in the BIOS?
16 gb is showing after the POST, the XP flag hits the screen for about 2 seconds and it reboots.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
english please, haha
lol. Physical to Virtual Migration (p2v) I'm taking a server and cloning it to a virtual server.

Quote:
16 gb is showing after the POST, the XP flag hits the screen for about 2 seconds and it reboots.
is this 2 x 8 Gb DIMMS? have you tried just 1?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
lol. Physical to Virtual Migration (p2v) I'm taking a server and cloning it to a virtual server.

is this 2 x 8 Gb DIMMS? have you tried just 1?
4x4
Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
OP, are you sure the board can handle that ram? Dumb question, but have you pulled the ram, gone back to the 4g and tried again?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
OP, are you sure the board can handle that ram? Dumb question, but have you pulled the ram, gone back to the 4g and tried again?
Yea that's how I got it back up and running, did the same 16 gb config on an identical workstation, it should work fine. I'm 99% positive its just an OS issue that wont matter when I image it to 7 64.

Products Discussed in this Thread