1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you think we will ever have force fields or shields, like in Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TacomaPrime, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    Order66

Order66 Four Wheel Drive With Room For Five!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    88 4Runner SR5 V6
    3 inch body lift, 33x12.50x15 Pro Comp A/Ts, Front and Rear Tube Bumpers
    I don't know, for the hell of it? Change certain drastic events that have happened. Somebody could go back and prevent something from happening. The attack on Pearl Harbor, prevent JFK from getting shot, etc. I don't know how we would see that change if someone did that in our dimension, though. Our time period could be a link to something for the future and we get invaded by somebody or something in order to destroy that link. A lot of open minded reasons I think.

The Mayan's ended their calender on the day that the fallen angels return, supposedly. Other people are likely to call it an alien race. From 2012 to 2017 is going to be a world wide apocalypse engulfed in fire and "red skies". The end of the is set to be 2017 when Jesus is supposed to return. The reason this logic can hold true is that before Jesus was crucified he told his disciples that he would return seventy years after the new Jerusalem is established. That wasn't established until 1947. Last time the human race got a fresh start they were killed with water, this time it's going to be fire. And the pope is apparently going to be the one that introduces the anti-christ to us. Let me know if any of this is incorrect or if I missed anything.

2. Feb 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I would've responded to this sooner but I got lost several days ago on the holodeck.

3. Feb 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Ewwwwww..... Hahahaha!

4. Feb 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Just got back from the Holodeck and boy am I tired.images_8ffa35ed1c8850c6ae11df214f40e9b9acd14a3f.jpg

5. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Beauty of it is you just say, "computer, end program" and the holocrabs are gone!

6. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper

Singing... "oh baby youuu.... You got what I neeeeed... and you say it's just a scab, but it's jumping like a crab...". :D

7. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

So say this happened, and somebody altered history. Would everybody instantaneously vanish? I mean, if somebody altered an event (like the holocaust), then the entire Earth's population would be different. Wouldn't it? :confused:

8. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  9. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I think you basically split yourself into an alternate reality based on the video I posted.

10. Feb 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Order66

Order66 Four Wheel Drive With Room For Five!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    88 4Runner SR5 V6
    3 inch body lift, 33x12.50x15 Pro Comp A/Ts, Front and Rear Tube Bumpers
    Yeah, I guess something like that would happen. Wouldn't the butterfly effect play a major part in that though? I didn't see the video mention anything for a situation like that.

11. Feb 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Niburu

12. Feb 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    ne0tas

ne0tas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    None. :[
    Pizza and a bj. Delightful.

13. Feb 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    No. At least not anything truly resembling that used on the Star Trek series. The same with most "technology" on that television show, including the vessel itself. As for the latter, the massive distances involved in interplanetary travel outside our solar system, combined with the massive jump in technology required to accomplish that, along with the monumental expense, would pretty much rule out any such vessel.

14. Feb 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    to some extent I agree, but I think that's more because we aren't close enough, and moreover, we aren't ready to accomplish it. We are too fractured. We need to basically re-create the culture of the decade of the 60s, where the government was able to and willing to invest, the people believed in their government, and the world could come together in a unified mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRbkBAOGEw

15. Feb 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    You are most definitely correct sir, Thank you for catching my typo ;)

16. Feb 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Are you aware of how far we are from the nearest planet outside our solar system? Even traveling at the speed of light, it would take a "starship" well over ten years to reach the closest one (the uninhabitable Epsilon Eridani, orbiting the Eridani star) and many more years to reach any planet beyond that.

Of course, we don't have the ability to travel at the speed of light. Instead, at the speeds we can travel (with nothing on the horizon to greatly increase that), it would require thousands of years to cover those distances. And none of above includes the return trip.

Further, even if we could travel at the speed of light, it would require a massive, hugely expensive, vessel to carry enough supplies to maintain a crew for ten years (actually twenty for the round trip). Obviously, it's clearly well beyond our capabilities to equip a vessel, traveling at realistic speeds, for a trip spanning thousands of years.

With that said, the question of "why" would also have to be answered. What would be the benefit? What would encourage a government, governments, or even mankind as a whole, to spend billions or trillions on a project spanning thousands of years, well beyond the lifespan of all those doing so? I can't think of a single reason.

To be honest, we really need to get our collective heads out of the stars, off the television, and back to reality. We have plenty enough to accomplish right here on this planet.

17. Feb 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Yes. I was just giving an example of why we need shields. *queue Dr. Tyson's galaxy tie-folding example*

18. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    stewartx, apparently you didn't watch the video and are grossly unaware of history.

Additionally, you missed my quote:

...as it was also a monumental task to get to the moon. As Kennedy said:

On top of that, during the actual event and those leading to it, the entire world was participating. I forget the name of the video, but there's a fun, campy movie called The Dish based on the true event in which an Australian satellite dish contributes to the Apollo mission, which goes to show the amount of human effort was involved.

Again, Kennedy:

Just because there is knowledge to be gained here does not mean we should not dream. It does not mean we should stop thinking or stop trying. The space race brought about a great deal of scientific knowledge that was used and is used outside of a space program.
    It may be many years off, it may be hard, but to say, "stop", to say, "the universe is not for us, and not a reality" is something I don't envision, nor would I care for us to do.

And again, Kennedy:

19. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
  20. Feb 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    You're obviously grossly unaware of science and technology. Anyway, I'm well aware of Kennedy's "We Choose to Go to the Moon" speech. Watched on television as he gave it. However, that doesn't change anything I've said. There's a huge difference between the practical (comparatively short trips to & from the moon) and the highly impractical (travel to & from planets outside this solar system). The former is miniscule in every aspect (technology, capabilities, cost, etc) compared to the latter. And no amount of fantasy about folding time or whatever is going to change that. We can't yet freely travel between planets within our own solar system. The requirements for travel beyond that may be forever insurmountable. Will it ever happen? Well, most certainly not within our lifetimes.

Products Discussed in

To Top