1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seriously Annoying Issue

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Supra TT, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Feb 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT [OP] Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Hard to explain what is happening but bare with me...

Last night I downloaded a picture (denise.LNK) and it didn't work, couldn't read the .ink file type. I opened it with windows photo gallery and it magically turned EVERY FILE ON MY COMPUTER into a .lnk file.. EVERYTHING except like 5 files............ All my desktop icons are .lnk files and I cannot open them. Took me awhile to finally access the internet... But I seriously need this fixed (might have to call support) but seeing if my TW brothers can help me out really quick..

Thanks

2. Feb 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Have you tried restarting? That occasionally solves such oddball problems. Anyway, before doing too much more, try restoring your computer to an earlier date (prior to the file you downloaded) using System Restore. You could also try "sfc /scannow" in the "Command Prompt." If none of that works, you could always restore from a backup. If all else fails, try downloading an application which restores the common file types and manually correcting the remainder yourself. I haven't looked for such an application recently, so you'll have to search. Afterwards, check carefully for a virus or similar. Not likely, but possible.

-

3. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT [OP] Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Well I called a friend whos a nerd and walked me through some shit.. He found me a link on google.

"Windows LNK file association fix"

And heres the site- http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/e8631c28-4ce5-43cc-8865-b75fa2255b57/

I clicked the Sean Zhu's link and followed his instructions, restarted and viola.

Every other ting did not work, system restore wouldn't work since it was trying to restore in an LNK format which is impossible, and restarting did nothing. I guess this is a common issue with windows.. so hopefully this can help someone someday.

Products Discussed in

To Top