LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

WTB 4-8gb Tablet for son.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
WTB 4-8gb Tablet for son.

I am looking for an inexpensive tablet to get to use with my son for PT/OT. I want to be able to download apps and games directed towards special needs kids and an iPad is way too much. I also don't want a piece of junk, it only needs wifi connection and trying to stay under $300.

Any legit suggestions would be awesome.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Kindle Fire maybe.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
There are a few android tablets you could get for that much. Agree with above post

EDIT: Just googled android tablet under 300 dollars, plenty of hits
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Yep kindle fire is a great one and it's pretty cheap too
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know how to use the google.. I am trying to get reviews from people, and im not sure i should say this, I trust.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011AFTundra View Post
I know how to use the google.. I am trying to get reviews from people, and im not sure i should say this, I trust.
Ok, sorry misunderstood. And I hope I didn't come across as a "use the search button" person. Again, sorry

I don't have any experiance with any but I've heard the Visio one is pretty good. Check out androidcentral, they have some reviews

If not, then the Kindle
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Sticks For Troops

Does the Kindle Fire offer multiple Apps?

I want to download kids games and other learning type apps. He loves this bubble popper app that the PT/OT has on her iPad.. but I'm not looking for a $500 iPad
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Tortoise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011AFTundra View Post
Does the Kindle Fire offer multiple Apps?

I want to download kids games and other learning type apps. He loves this bubble popper app that the PT/OT has on her iPad.. but I'm not looking for a $500 iPad
Yes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Viewsonic G Tablet. It's a decent tablet for the price. It's biggest flaw is it doesn't support Android Market. They go through Handango but you can download the Amazon Appstore app. I mounted it in the kitchen. I think I bought it for $269 on a Woot sale.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-gTab.../dp/B004EPV7TK
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
John, watch http://www.cowboom.com/ They have a daily deal that sells one item a day at ridiculous prices. Todays deal was a Wii system the normally goes for $249.00 that was on sale for $59.99. They've also got pre-owned iPads for less than $300
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Kindle Fire maybe.
I've bought two of my kids Kindle Fires. I like everything about them except there is not a good way to monitor them or install parental controls...which both surprises me and annoys me. It makes it too easy for them to stumble on inappropriate material or too easy to buy games or apps.

I don't have to worry about this for my 6 year old, he is good about staying on games, apps, or books. He does not surf internet.

My 10 year old is at the age where she likes to watch videos, or try to get on You Tube which again makes it easy to see "crap" not appropriate for a 10 year old.

My only solution is to turn off wi-fi and only turn it back on when purchasing a book or game. I make her use her laptop for internet and email.

My more long term solution will be to purchase a wireless router that has parental controls so it protects every device in house.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
I've bought two of my kids Kindle Fires. I like everything about them except there is not a good way to monitor them or install parental controls...which both surprises me and annoys me. It makes it too easy for them to stumble on inappropriate material or too easy to buy games or apps.

I don't have to worry about this for my 6 year old, he is good about staying on games, apps, or books. He does not surf internet.

My 10 year old is at the age where she likes to watch videos, or try to get on You Tube which again makes it easy to see "crap" not appropriate for a 10 year old.

My only solution is to turn off wi-fi and only turn it back on when purchasing a book or game. I make her use her laptop for internet and email.

My more long term solution will be to purchase a wireless router that has parental controls so it protects every device in house.
Norton has a free app that may help:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/symante...-android-news/
Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Norton has a free app that may help:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/symante...-android-news/
Really?

I've been searching and searching to no avail for something for the Kindle Fire. Do you know the name of it? Do I just search Norton in the apps?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #14

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind - I should have clicked on the link before replying.
Pricey if you want full capibility, but I guess it's the only option that I'm aware of.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
Nevermind - I should have clicked on the link before replying.
Pricey if you want full capibility, but I guess it's the only option that I'm aware of.

Thanks!
Yes, but the extra just gives you app monitoring and text monitoring. The rest is free. You still get the ability to block websites and view activity reports.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno about the quality of this product, but the price seems right. Keep in mind it is a 7" screen. http://www.focalprice.com/CE0034W/A1...1210NR_CE0034W

I have bought stuff from this company (ships straight from China), and they sent my stuff really quickly and reliably.

My gf teaches 3+4 yr olds with autism and it is amazing how well they interact with the ipad that was donated to her.