Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Gaming laptop

Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Gaming laptop

Ive been thinking about getting a new laptop for gaming and work. Seems like every sub 500$ laptop I have or have had, has had problems.
I don't know much about gaming laptops other than I want to be able to run games like mass effect 3 and bf3. I have a 360 and ps3 but am wanting something portable for trips and to be reliable.

I was looking into alienware m11x and the asus 74sx. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Alienware is probably what I would go with as that's what they're designed for. Cnet has a review of the m11x. They mentioned the M11x R3 which has some upgraded features.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/alie...e&tag=mncol;1n

Note that it doesn't come with an Optical drive so you'll probably need an external one for installs.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Camo Dude will become famous soon enough

Name: Ryan
Camo Dude's Tacoma Gallery
I personally am an ASUS fan I use their MoBo in my gaming desktop and plan on picking up one of the G74SX when my laptop craps out.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
how much is that lap top in the picture?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
how much is that lap top in the picture?
$899
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Alienware is probably what I would go with as that's what they're designed for. Cnet has a review of the m11x. They mentioned the M11x R3 which has some upgraded features.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/alie...e&tag=mncol;1n

Note that it doesn't come with an Optical drive so you'll probably need an external one for installs.
r3 jsut means the updated version right? Ill definitely be buying new
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
r3 jsut means the updated version right? Ill definitely be buying new
I think so. I didn't see the R3 in the name of any store that sold them. I'd probably buy it from Dell just for the support you would get by buying it from them. Look for some Dell Coupons on eBay. Sometimes you can find some decent coupons that can cut the cost or give free shipping.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Petrol head

Time to bump this thread as Im about ready to buy one, any computer gurus out there?

Im looking to spend 1100+- 100

This is what im looking at right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200417
Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
i have an m11x and love it! id say go alienware it runs fast and smooth! well worth it!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Petrol head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdaddy View Post
i have an m11x and love it! id say go alienware it runs fast and smooth! well worth it!
Hows the screen and not having a disk drive?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

the screen isnt bad at all i came from a 13 inch mackbook pro and had no problems and the disk drive isnt a big deal most everything can be downloaded online
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Petrol head

Good to know, I have my 32in lcd tv hooked up to my computer
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Still not worthy!
Sawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud of

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Jason
Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
Xotic PC has some sweet deals, and cyberpower also has good prices. However, you have to select very carefully with Cyberpower. You really get what you pay for with them. (order crap -> get crap)

I had an old M15X and the Video card went out after two years. Wouldnt be too bad if you could replace them. I liked it, but I think you can get more bang for your buck with some lessor known companies. Just as good quality, just doesnt have that nice alien head
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Fear no fish

Quote:
Good to know, I have my 32in lcd tv hooked up to my computer
haha i have mine hooked up to my samsung tv too!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
Petrol head

Ive been to both of those sites, seemed like decent prices but I didnt know what the hell I was looking at as far as all the upgrades and hop up parts you can put on them.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Still not worthy!
Sawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud of

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Jason
Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive been to both of those sites, seemed like decent prices but I didnt know what the hell I was looking at as far as all the upgrades and hop up parts you can put on them.

Xotic PC is super customer friendly. You could call them and just tell um your price range and what your looking for. They would walk you through the whole thing
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
Petrol head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawick View Post
Xotic PC is super customer friendly. You could call them and just tell um your price range and what your looking for. They would walk you through the whole thing
Ill give them a call sometime tomorrow then, I just know so little about what all the tech specs of a computer means
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
just out of curiosity, what games are you guys into? also i know someone who had an alienware a few years ago and loved it.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
Petrol head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTaco View Post
just out of curiosity, what games are you guys into? also i know someone who had an alienware a few years ago and loved it.
I have played so many, but right now Ive been playing bf3, ghost recon, skyrim, minecraft and I would like to play some of the pc only games but I dont have a pc to run them
Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have played so many, but right now Ive been playing bf3, ghost recon, skyrim, minecraft and I would like to play some of the pc only games but I dont have a pc to run them
what are you running them on now?