Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Registry cleaner

Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Registry cleaner

Looking to buy on disc a registry cleaner to use in a couple of laptops. What is a good one to get? thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a computer guru but I use CCleaner (used to be Crap Cleaner). It's free to download.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
I'm not a computer guru but I use CCleaner (used to be Crap Cleaner). It's free to download.

^^^ same.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My Brother in law is a guru and he reccomends & uses CCleaner.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Ok thanks for the tip guys but one question...Does CC cleaner fix everything or does it like a lot of the other freewares fix a few things and then makes you buy the security key to fix everything. I am willing to buy but you said free to download
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I just fixed my friends lap top with CCcleaner last night I use it whenever I have a issue and it works every time.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I use CCleaner too.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Ok thanks for the tip guys but one question...Does CC cleaner fix everything or does it like a lot of the other freewares fix a few things and then makes you buy the security key to fix everything. I am willing to buy but you said free to download
It's all free.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
It's all free.

ok why on the piraform website does it have a free version and a home version for $24.95?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
hows this work? like do i have to back my stuff up first or just plug and play deal?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
The paid versions just offer technical support. I use the free version of CCleaner and back up the registry (they give that option) in case something goes wrong.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok why on the piraform website does it have a free version and a home version for $24.95?
Home paid version includes support. It's easy to use and do not skip backing up the registry when it asks - just in case you need it. It will also ask if you want it to skip any cookies you use regularly, like logging into this site without having to enter your name and password. Let it clean both files and registry entries. The file part will clean out the temp files and bad install/uninstall files. Run each option 2 or 3 times as it will discover more if you haven't cleaned it in a while. When it can't find anymore, you're done.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
CCleaner is the way to go, the only thing it really does is delete registry keys that don't need to be there (for one reason or another) usually unused file extensions, uninstalled programs, and the like. For safety's sake always make a backup of your registry before you clean it, just in case CCleaner deletes something it shouldn't. This has yet to happen to me, but you never know. Also; you don't have to manually back up the registry, CCleaner gives you the option.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
CCleaner gets an A+ in my book.

Plus it works a hell of a lot faster than the standard windows defrag/disk cleaner programs.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Plus it works a hell of a lot faster than the standard windows defrag/disk cleaner programs.
ccleaner doesn't defrag. BUT, Piriform does have a killer defrag app too.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
CCleaner gets an A+ in my book.

lol, you realize CCleaner doesn't defrag or "clean" your disk in any way shape or form yes? It just removes a lot of unneeded junk - temporary internet files, expired stuff in the registry, etc.

CCleaner is probably the "safest" registry cleaner - but typically blindly "cleaning" the registry isn't a good idea. I wouldn't recommend doing it - if you must, ALWAYS take a backup of the registry. That place is a freaking rats nest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
This ^^.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post

thanks for the tip. I downloaded the defra app as well as cc cleaner. My windows defrag said my disk was only 1% defragged while the one you suggested said my disk was 17% defragged.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
Senility Rocks!

Quote:
thanks for the tip. I downloaded the defra app as well as cc cleaner. My windows defrag said my disk was only 1% defragged while the one you suggested said my disk was 17% defragged.
That doesn't surprise me. <sarcasm>Windows is so dead on.</sarcasm>