LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Off Site - Cloud Storage

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Off Site - Cloud Storage

We have several Apple laptops and iPhones and need to back them up (everything on them) before a crash. ...

Have been reading about "off site cloud storage" and how good it is supposed to be.

This is a question that several of my friends have also asked about ... so it is on other people's minds too.

Do any of you guys use it ... and pros and cons and any ideas would be appreciated.

This link supposedly shows ... "The Top 10 Best Cloud Storage List" ... please take a look and give some input.

LINK ---> http://www.thetop10bestonlinebackup.com/cloud-storage

Which do you think is best and why ??? ... .... Thanks a lot ...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
I back up everything to a server in the house. Makes a reinstall from any time in the last 3 months a piece of cake. I can reinstall a 30GB image in an hour. Above and beyond that, I backup my photos to an offsite service called IDrive. Good insurance for $60/yr. I can replace anything lost on my computers, but the photos, priceless. Burn my house down, steal my PC's, or whatever. No problem for me there. It'd take a while to download, so I don't bother backing up the OS and apps - as I said, my local backup image is as fast as it gets for that stuff. As for best, there's a lot of good ones. Hard to say who's the best for everyone. IDrive had the flexibility that I required vs some of the other more popular names. IMO, it's the best. Might not be for you.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I use Verizon's backup assistant for my cell phones.
Everything else is backed up locally.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Personally - Our backups are done here at home locally.

Perhaps the technology (or fad) is too new that I wouldn't trust it. The thought of all your personal information being stored on someone elses network or computer - is kinda sketchy. Sure - they say its secure....but there are a lot more people who have access to your files than if you kept everything at home.

My luck - I'd have a catastrophic failure, have trouble getting access to my files, have to make a phone call to someone who doesn't speak English only to find out that they can't FIND my files or my name isn't on record - You get the point!!!

Any honestly? The financials and other legal documents are the only things that really NEED to be backed up and secured. Everything else - including phtos, music, programs, etc - can be replaced (theoretically).
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
I use Dropbox. I have used it for the past 4 years with no issues. It has saved my a$$ countless times. My hard drive randomly stopped turning on one day, but I know I didnt have to worry because I save everything to Dropbox
Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
I am old school IT. I don't trust any kind of storage to the cloud, not even dropbox. I back everything up to an external drive, for things that I don't need very often I archive to DVD.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devux View Post
I am old school IT. I don't trust any kind of storage to the cloud, not even dropbox. I back everything up to an external drive, for things that I don't need very often I archive to DVD.
I hope your house doesn't burn down...

I weighed in on this in another thread (OP, you asked this elsewhere, lol). Reposting it here...

I did a bunch of comparisons, and CrashPlan was what I settled on. Unlimited (truly) backup, and it was COMPLETELY cross platform. Mac, Linux and Windoze. Not only that, they have a daemon process so there's a back-end and front-end component. This was a HUGE plus in my book - this way I can have the CrashPlan service running on my Linux server (use it for NAS really, with some other things...) and monitor/change settings using the GUI tool on mah Windoze laptop. Fantastic. Plus - it would allow your friends to backup their computers to yours, and visa-versa for free.

The plans were pretty cheap too, I paid the 4 years in advance - just under $3/mo. Normally I think it's $5/mo. There's family plans too, check it out, http://www.crashplan.com
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I guess that I should have worded the info. request ...
"Best way to store data on site and off site ... with easiest way to retrieve lost data ".

Not being an IT guy, what if this scenario happens:

(1) Laptop crashes, is lost or stolen (basically ALL data is lost). ...

(2) Buy a new laptop to replace crashed, lost or stolen laptop. ...

(3) Which system is best storage system to plug the new the new laptop into and easily download the stored data ?? ...

Thanks again ...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I hope your house doesn't burn down...
My data would be my last concern at that point, just sayin'.