Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

How Much RAM can i put in my Macbook Pro???

Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
How Much RAM can i put in my Macbook Pro???

I was wondering many gigs i could put in, i was thinning about putting 8 or 12 gb in, would that work?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
I was wondering many gigs i could put in, i was thinning about putting 8 or 12 gb in, would that work?
I would imagine it depends on the year of the macbook...haven't opened a newer computer up (my mac is pre-mega RAM amounts version)...do the newer ones have more slots? or is it just bigger sticks of RAM? If the RAM sticks are bigger, I may look into this as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i got mine last august, right when Lion came standard on the computers... and i have a 2.3 GHz intel core i5...does that help any? it also says i currently have 4GB of ram...1333 MHz DDR3
Old 04-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Crunchy Taco
blacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
blacktaco21's Tacoma Gallery
If the battery is accessible on the back, then it's behind the battery. The newer ones are unibody and you have to have a small Phillips to take the back off. I upgraded mine from 4 to 8GB. I know for a fact they only have two slots on the laptops and you want the same size so they will run in dual channel mode (my 8gb is actually 2 x 4 gb).
Old 04-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
TRDSport12 is on a distinguished road

Royal Canadian Air Force: CME
TRDSport12's Tacoma Gallery
it really depends on the model, i have a early 2011 MBP i7 and 4GB (as came with the machine), and it can only put up to 8GB for upgrade. I was thinking 12GB, but the system wont recognize anything greater than 8GB. check the spec of manual or the website
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

alright, thanks guys, i think I'm just going to go with OWC 8gb of ram, and upgrade to an OWC SSD Hard drive too, should be fun lol
Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
depends on the age of the computer.

The guy in the dorm across the hall from me put 16 Gigs of ram in his Macbook pro (15" and about 6 or 8 months old) and switched the disk drive out for a solid state hard drive. boot time is ridiculous.

He runs virtual machines a lot so he uses the 16 gigs, I have 8 and I like the speed a lot, a solid state would up it a lot though...I just dont have the money
Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
depends on the age of the computer.

The guy in the dorm across the hall from me put 16 Gigs of ram in his Macbook pro (15" and about 6 or 8 months old) and switched the disk drive out for a solid state hard drive. boot time is ridiculous.

He runs virtual machines a lot so he uses the 16 gigs, I have 8 and I like the speed a lot, a solid state would up it a lot though...I just dont have the money
well i was just thinking that i have the Core i5.......do you think that makes a difference in if the computer could recognize the 16gb of ram?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well i was just thinking that i have the Core i5.......do you think that makes a difference in if the computer could recognize the 16gb of ram?
No. As suggested look up the exact model to see what it's upgradeable too.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have no Idea honesty, he is the computer guy and not here right now, so I cant ask him

I know that the icons don't bounce whenever clicked like they are loading....it just opens the program.

With the solid state, boot time is like 20 seconds or something ridiculous (that is when it gets to the very first loading screen to login screen. not the wake up time from black

it is still rediculous. it ouwld cost me about 200 to get it done. I have a 15" macbook pro that was purchased about a year and a half ago and could handle it just fine. I wouldn't need the 16 gigs of ram. and the 200 is getting a 120 GB solid state to go with my normal one.

you have to store larger stuff (like for me, I would store all my music and pictures on it) on the regular har drive.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Also, solid state drive(SSD) and hard disk drive(HDD). Technically no such thing as a solid state hard drive.

That would be like saying you have a 4 cylinder 6cylinder engine lol.

SSD's are sweet though. My Asus Zenbook has one. Boots from sleep mode in 2 seconds and full boot up from it being off in 20 seconds.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
The real question is how much ram do you need? More than you use is just drawing more power from your battery. Are you thrashing now? If not, why bother. 4GB is a pretty good for most users these days. VM's - yeah - you need a lot of RAM to host a bunch of em, depending on their size. Web surfing, email, running some apps - 4 will probably do it fine.