1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mac or PC

Discussion in 'Technology' started by borderbrat, Dec 17, 2008.

?

do you own a mac or pc

1. MAC

133 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. PC

155 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. May 13, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    Forthedogs

Forthedogs Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    First mod-license plate frame reads... "Driver carries no cash-wife shows dogs"
    Have both PC and Mac. Prefer PC for work but have much more fun with the Mac.

2. May 13, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    eschmunk

eschmunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    GrillCrafter Upper and Lower, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers, Di-Noc Carbon Valence Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Rubbermaid "ActionPacker" containers for bed storage.
    Picking up a new MacBook this weekend but use a PC for work. Been using a MacBook Pro for a while though.

3. May 27, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I got a 2.4GHz Alu-Macbook and I'm loving every minute of it! I would NEVER go back to a PC, no matter the circumstances. PC=FAIL/POS*

Mac fanboy talking... :D

4. May 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    eschmunk

Member:
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Vehicle:
    GrillCrafter Upper and Lower, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers, Di-Noc Carbon Valence Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Rubbermaid "ActionPacker" containers for bed storage.
    Just opened the new MacBook (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram) and this is the first website I opened.

5. May 27, 2009 at 10:26 PM
    #Reistlehr-

#Reistlehr- AngryTacoma

Member:
    Parsippany, NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    so i had my macbook for 3 weeks.. and the LCD backlight died.. took it to the apple store, and they replaced the entire LCD assembly, which was nice cause the apple logo on the lid was scratched when i got it.. woo.. only bad thing was it took a week. got i back now..

6. May 28, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    I really need to get a new Macbook. I have an Old White MB 2.2Ghz, but that's mostly been consumed by the wife. And due to it's terrible Intel X3100 Graphics chip, it's slow as shit to render an HD Movie from my Camcorder.

I've been using OSX on my D630 for about 6 months, but it's problematic, of course. Works great for basic use, but anything more than the standard apps slows it down.

Gotta try and talk the wife into letting me drop $2k to get a MBP. The regular Macbook's resolution is too low for me.

7. May 31, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    markram

markram Well-Known Member

Member:
    washington, state of
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB 4X4 Cement
    mac user since 1985...

currently using at home: iMac 24" 3.0ghz intel core 2 duo

at work: windblows xp (only cuz i have to).

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    tacoma09

tacoma09 Member

Member:
    Selinsgrove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD
    Westin bull bar, Truxedo tonneau,Smittybilt shackle, misc stickers
    I was a long time windows fan until Vista. Now I primarily use my iMac. I'm never going back windoze.

iMac
    mini Mac
    Dell Laptop

9. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    KarlHungus

KarlHungus Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Got a MacBook Pro 17". Been using macs for over 20 years, but I make a living writing and supporting custom software for PC's.

10. Jun 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    eschmunk

Member:
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Vehicle:
    Just sent back the 13" macbook that I just bought and purchased a 15" macbook pro for the same amount. Yesterdays price drop is awesome, about $300 across the board. Had to discuss it with them for about an hour. Supposedly you can't return custom configured laptops. Once they agreed to do it then they wanted to hit me with a 10% restocking fee. After all was said and done they accepted the return for full value and ordered me a new one.

Another bonus is that since I got it after the 8th of June, Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) will only be $9.95 instead of $30 when it comes out in Sept.

-e

11. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    Running Linux Mint 7 on my Dell m6300 core2 laptop, and loving it! Based on Ubuntu 9.04, Linux Mint 7 is the modern desktop OS that many refer to as "Ubuntu done right, right out of the box." Count me as one of these!!

Check it out at http://linuxmint.com/, or at http://www.distrowatch.com

Download it for FREE, and if you do be prepared to be blown away by the ease of use and incredible sophistication available to end users these days with a top notch Linux operating system like Mint!

12. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    can you install windows based applications?

13. Jun 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    The short answer is yes. To do so install Wine for Linux, and install Wine Doors at the same time. You do this by running Synaptic, the software package manager and installer that Linux Mint provides. Wine gives your Linux system the capability of installing and running a wide variety of Windows apps.

Oh, by the way, ..both the Linux Mint and Mac OS's are derived from Unix, so they are extremely similar in so many ways. The main difference between them is that Mac is a proprietary OS that like Windows costs a bundle to own and run, while Linux, in its wide variety of custom distributions ('Distros' for short) is completely FREE!

The power of today's Open Source Linux community is such that operating systems such as Ubuntu and Mint are now in use by multiple millions world wide, bringing industrial strength reliability and cutting edge usability to desktops and servers in ways impossible to foresee when Linux first appeared..

Hope that helps.

14. Jun 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    The new Macs have a unibody or something, right?

My Thinkpad has a frame.

Everyone on this site that wheels their truck knows that frames >>>>>>>>>> unibodys.

that's all :D

15. Jun 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    Support Windows Workstations and Servers all day, write a little C#. At the end of the day, last thing I want to see is Windows. I like going home to my wife and the sexy OSX UI.

16. Sep 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM
    UrbanShaman

UrbanShaman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    EJ
    White Mountains Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Green 2000 3.4 xtra cab with Leer shell
    None yet, I am inheriting it next month :-))
    Old school Mac guy. PowerBook G4 17", iBook G4 14", iBook G3 12", Pismo G3 (all with OS X 10.4.11 and 9.2.2)
    Don't do ANYTHING Google, MicroSoft, or PC nor anything since about 2006 that has to do with Apple. No "i" anything. IMHO they are no different then the Windoze companies. Greed and dweebs who think good things need to be changed every year. Macs have turned into nanny state snoops. I can create magnificent creations in System 9.2.2 on my Pismo. Since I am not a "gamer" I don't need anything new anymore. Sort of like driving a 15 year old Taco, know what I mean? :))

17. Sep 2, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    luchin

luchin living the Canadian dream

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    15 6MT DCSB SR5
    OME 885 coils, Dakar leaf pack, Bilstein 5100 struts, SCS Matte Jet Black SR8 wheels, 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT II, Arrow cap, Truxedo Truxsport Tonneau cover, TRD Exhaust, colour matched grill.
    2 MacBook Pros
    1 iMac
    2 iPhones
    1 iPad
    1 Apple TV

WTF is a PC?!?

18. Sep 2, 2015 at 7:57 PM
    UrbanShaman

UrbanShaman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    EJ
    White Mountains Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Green 2000 3.4 xtra cab with Leer shell
    None yet, I am inheriting it next month :-))
    Guess for those who like them it is "Pretty Cool" and those who don't it is "piece of Caca" :))

BTW luchin, lived in a tipi on the island back in the day.

19. Sep 2, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Wow zombie thread revival for sure, but I'll play. :deadhorse:

I have about 15,000 mac's and 6,000 pc's to support at my work. I like them both and use them interchangeably. Dealing with them on an industrial scale I can can tell you they are more alike than different. They both have their pluses and minuses and Apple and Microsoft suck equally. My advice to anyone is buy what you like and enjoy it. It's kind of like the automatic vs manual transmission threads, you can talk till you're blue in the face and never convince the other guy your computer/transmission is the "correct" one.

20. Sep 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM
    luchin

luchin living the Canadian dream

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    15 6MT DCSB SR5
    OME 885 coils, Dakar leaf pack, Bilstein 5100 struts, SCS Matte Jet Black SR8 wheels, 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT II, Arrow cap, Truxedo Truxsport Tonneau cover, TRD Exhaust, colour matched grill.
    so now you're insinuating that I'm First Nations....this is Canada, haven't you been following the ignorance...It's an Igloo.....

Products Discussed in

To Top