Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Graphics Card Recommendations?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Graphics Card Recommendations?

l'm looking for a decent performance card, ...use for internet, photo editing, maybe HD video, etc... need HDMI out... i've had nvidia products so far, ..don't know much about ATI Radeon chipsets..

card is for a PCI-e x16 slot.. my current card is a geforce 9800GT

what do you guys think?

geforce GT 430 ?? heard of cooling problems w/ thermal paste?
geforce GT 440 ??

radeon HD 6660 ??
radeon HD 6750 ??

nvidia vs. ati radeon, ... reliability, driver issues?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
. need HDMI out...
*snicker
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
I would say Nvidia all the way. They are usually leading the way when it comes to new tech. As far as which card, I haven't been in the loop of it lately so i can't really comment.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
*snicker
i knew this thread would be like chumming the waters...

what can i say, i'm a cheapskate...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not a hardcore computer gamer go with the GT 430.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
I would say Nvidia all the way. They are usually leading the way when it comes to new tech. As far as which card, I haven't been in the loop of it lately so i can't really comment.
yep, i've been using nvidia for a long time now, ..been through a couple cards,.. one failed on me... one thing is getting their drivers installed seems like a PITA nowadays... curious if the radeon cards have friendlier drivers/reliability...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be a huge ATI fan, but then I feel in love with Nvidia. I prefer Nvidia cause it's way easier to tweak the cards performance wise (IMO).

Get a GTX460 and overclock it. It'll run like a 560 and you'll save some cash. I'm currently doing this in my laptop that I'm using right now and I have ZERO stability issues. Actually I think I'm running it faster than a 560 to be honest.

A good secondary maker of Nvidia cards is EVGA. If you get one of theirs you will not be disappointed. I have twin 8800 GTS's in my desktop. Runs everything like Buh-tah!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I was all Nvidia ... until they screwed the pooch on DirectX 11 and the 300 series chips. Plus I had a Nvidia chip in a laptop go out on me prematurely & I didn't like how they handled it. Lost my support. Personally I think ATI is much better now that they are owned by chipmaker AMD. Currently run an ATI 5870 which has been churning along nicely coming up on 3 years now without incident. Still a great card.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I was all Nvidia ... until they screwed the pooch on DirectX 11 and the 300 series chips. Plus I had a Nvidia chip in a laptop go out on me prematurely & I didn't like how they handled it. Lost my support. Personally I think ATI is much better now that they are owned by chipmaker AMD. Currently run an ATI 5870 which has been churning along nicely coming up on 3 years now without incident. Still a great card.
ati drivers pretty stable?... any compatibility issues w/ flash, web browsers, etc?.. seems nvidia has been problematic w/ some of these, i try to keep drivers updated every 3-6 mo., but seems like the newer batches of nvidia drivers suck..
Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
ati drivers pretty stable?... any compatibility issues w/ flash, web browsers, etc?.. seems nvidia has been problematic w/ some of these, i try to keep drivers updated every 3-6 mo., but seems like the newer batches of nvidia drivers suck..
No problems. I'm not an early adopter though. Stability matters more than cutting edge.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #12

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i'm not a hard core gamer, ..really don't play any games...

gtx series = over my budget

i think i'm looking for single-slot...

what do you guys think of this one, ..also any opinions on Zotac
http://www.zotacusa.com/eco-geforce-...40508-10l.html
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
What's wrong with your 9800GT right now? There are simple adapters that will convert DVI to HDMI.

Zotac is a brand of PCPartner, a large board mfr in Hong Kong. Its ATi cards are branded as Sapphire, which you may have come across in listings. Zotac is "good enough".

ATi's driver control panel (called Catalyst Control Center) runs on .NET Framework and is slow as shit. (i.e. you click on a checkbox to change a setting, and the interface takes 2-3 seconds to update)
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #14

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
What's wrong with your 9800GT right now? There are simple adapters that will convert DVI to HDMI.

Zotac is a brand of PCPartner, a large board mfr in Hong Kong. Its ATi cards are branded as Sapphire, which you may have come across in listings. Zotac is "good enough".

ATi's driver control panel (called Catalyst Control Center) runs on .NET Framework and is slow as shit. (i.e. you click on a checkbox to change a setting, and the interface takes 2-3 seconds to update)
the 9800 GT is pretty good i think (2-3yrs old?), ...but i need something w/ HDMI out, so i can pipe audio up to my monitor over HDMI.. i guess i could get one of those converters but for like $50+, the cost of a converter, i figure might as well get a new card?? plus i think w/ HDMI 1.4 you can get up to 7.1 digital audio, whereas you're putting 2ch. stereo into a converter...?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I put the Sapphire Radeon 6850, which can be had for less than $150, in my last system build. This is an an excellent card and is one of the "best bangs for the buck" out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #16

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
what do you guys thing of this?
sapphire flex hd 6770

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...n=&lid=1&leg=0#

says you can run 3 simulatenous monitors w/out the "eyefinitiy" thing... i just have Windows XP MCE, do you think this would work ok? i may run a 3 monitor setup like this in the future (Left: monitor Middle: LCDTV monitor Right: monitor)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
west is on a distinguished road

Name: West
west's Tacoma Gallery
the best card you can get without upgrading your power supply would be an ATI Radeon HD 5770.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #18

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
the best card you can get without upgrading your power supply would be an ATI Radeon HD 5770.

i have a corsair HX650 (650W PSU). will that be enough for the HD 6770?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
west is on a distinguished road

Name: West
west's Tacoma Gallery
nvm i was talking like a stock 450W power supply
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #20

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
ok, so now i'm not sure the radeon is the way to go, ...seems that the "eyefinity" thing for multiple monitors won't work w/ Win XP... so, i'm not confident the sapphire flex would work either...

now, leaning toward this: back to nvidia, ..but this one says it supports 3 monitors (which i think is good planning ahead) on one GPU. i may just have to increase my budget a little

http://www.zotacusa.com/geforce-gtx-...50403-10l.html