Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

First time building a new computer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
First time building a new computer

I'm contemplating purchasing and building a PC. This will be my first time building my own. I have a 12 year old Dell that has bit the dust. It will be used mainly to play two games (DiabloIII and LoL). May play more in the future.

My build:
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115078

MSI H67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130616

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231402

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152181

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

ASUS 24X DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case & Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE PSU Combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.867806

Subtotal: $607.92
Total (After rebates): $577.92

Approximate Purchase Date: Today

Budget Range: 500-600 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games>school work>browsing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, monitor, Win7, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg because I will be using their "preferred account" with 12 months no interest.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: ???

Any shaving of the price I could do without loss of performance? OR is this a legit build That I should go ahead with? Any red flags?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Red Flags

Hey,

I don't have a bunch of time at the moment to go over your part selection but something to think about before purchasing. I play wow it does not support SLI or Crossfire. I have not looked deeply into Diablo3 but since it's made by Blizzard also check to see if it supports either. If you can hold off buying today I will check out what your selections are and see what you have going on. I custom build and repair PC's on the side and have been for a long long time lol IE first machine I built had a 386 chip and the seperate 387 math coprocessor. There are others here as well that have the knowledge to help you so if I don't get to it first they might. One other quick suggestion as a gamer the more ram the better ensure the board can take up to a min of 8 gb Win7 is a memory HOG.... On quick review your limiting your self with an I3 try for an I7 board with what ever I7 chip you can go with for cost as later on down the road you can up the chip and not have to rebuild. The board you selected though if you have to go with it suports more then enough memory.

Cypher
Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Well, you have a good plan, and building at home is a great idea, I have done a few over the years, and they are pretty easy. If you have a friend that can help you that makes the first build go faster, and makes you feel a little more confident.

As for parts, and I am not sure how this will work with your budget but it shouldn't me too far off.

I would stick with Crucial or Cosair, don't bother getting the heat sinks, if you aren't going to over clock then they are pointless, so you would be better served getting a higher quality ram.

For the processor, spring for the i5, it will serve you better with the gaming and such long term.

Once you pick the ram and the processor, then you may need to find another motherboard, but the one you picked is good too. Make sure the motherboard can accept 16+ Gbs of Ram, and 4+ slots total, you will expand down the road.

Also see if you can spring for a 10k hard drive, don't go below 7.2k like the one you have, or try one of the new Hybrid drives, it is way faster than a Prius... lol, basically it puts all the stuff you are using, i.e. operating system and games, on the solid state part and leaves all the boring stuff, i.e. word files and stuff you aren't using at the moment, on the 7.2k or 10k portion, so you get a nice amount of space but you also get lots of performance.

For a case, on a first build, see if you can find one that has a "removable motherboard tray" it makes things so easy, you can put it together on the removable part and then put that in the case once you are done.

Finally for a power supply, use this site: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, this will give you a ball park for how much power you need, get a little extra but don't go over board with it.

Oh, check out Zalman for aftermarket heat sinks, likely won't need one, but they rock.

Also NEWEGG FTW! I have built 5 computers using them, and they always have good deals and fast shipping.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Space Command
Name: Steve
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Your build out looks great. Should be a good system. MIS boards are solid, if you could afford it, I'd suggest an i5 processor.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Hey,

I don't have a bunch of time at the moment to go over your part selection but something to think about before purchasing. I play wow it does not support SLI or Crossfire. I have not looked deeply into Diablo3 but since it's made by Blizzard also check to see if it supports either. If you can hold off buying today I will check out what your selections are and see what you have going on. I custom build and repair PC's on the side and have been for a long long time lol IE first machine I built had a 386 chip and the seperate 387 math coprocessor. There are others here as well that have the knowledge to help you so if I don't get to it first they might. One other quick suggestion as a gamer the more ram the better ensure the board can take up to a min of 8 gb Win7 is a memory HOG.... On quick review your limiting your self with an I3 try for an I7 board with what ever I7 chip you can go with for cost as later on down the road you can up the chip and not have to rebuild. The board you selected though if you have to go with it suports more then enough memory.

Cypher

Thanks. I'll wait on you to over look it. Not in too big of a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Well, you have a good plan, and building at home is a great idea, I have done a few over the years, and they are pretty easy. If you have a friend that can help you that makes the first build go faster, and makes you feel a little more confident.

As for parts, and I am not sure how this will work with your budget but it shouldn't me too far off.

I would stick with Crucial or Cosair, don't bother getting the heat sinks, if you aren't going to over clock then they are pointless, so you would be better served getting a higher quality ram.

For the processor, spring for the i5, it will serve you better with the gaming and such long term.

Once you pick the ram and the processor, then you may need to find another motherboard, but the one you picked is good too. Make sure the motherboard can accept 16+ Gbs of Ram, and 4+ slots total, you will expand down the road.

Also see if you can spring for a 10k hard drive, don't go below 7.2k like the one you have, or try one of the new Hybrid drives, it is way faster than a Prius... lol, basically it puts all the stuff you are using, i.e. operating system and games, on the solid state part and leaves all the boring stuff, i.e. word files and stuff you aren't using at the moment, on the 7.2k or 10k portion, so you get a nice amount of space but you also get lots of performance.

For a case, on a first build, see if you can find one that has a "removable motherboard tray" it makes things so easy, you can put it together on the removable part and then put that in the case once you are done.

Finally for a power supply, use this site: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, this will give you a ball park for how much power you need, get a little extra but don't go over board with it.

Oh, check out Zalman for aftermarket heat sinks, likely won't need one, but they rock.

Also NEWEGG FTW! I have built 5 computers using them, and they always have good deals and fast shipping.
Cool. didn't know about that PSU calculator. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Tac View Post
Your build out looks great. Should be a good system. MIS boards are solid, if you could afford it, I'd suggest an i5 processor.
I would like an i5, but for $100 more? ehhh. Don't most games use the GPU more than the CPU anyway?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
I'd recommend an SSD for your OS/Apps drive. The performance boost is worth it. Put all the fat stuff on the 500GB like music, movies, games.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Gettin ready for that D3!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
or try one of the new Hybrid drives, it is way faster than a Prius... lol, basically it puts all the stuff you are using, i.e. operating system and games, on the solid state part and leaves all the boring stuff, i.e. word files and stuff you aren't using at the moment, on the 7.2k or 10k portion, so you get a nice amount of space but you also get lots of performance.
this!

or do two drives; get a low capacity SDD for a primary drive, and a larger capacity HDD to put s/w apps, media, and paging file...
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
This space intentionally left blank.
Boring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Discharged honorably many years ago.
Boring's Tacoma Gallery
The newest gen Intel Core chips (Ivy Bridge) are coming out really soon. I plan on buying one to update my computer. You might want to wait. They sip a little less power and have a little more performance.

Best of luck and ground yourself often. ESD kills computers.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno your budget but here's a few things I've learned.

Get two older cards and SLI or Crossfire them. You'll get better performance out of them. Something like a 460 can be overclocked to 560 specs easily. I'm currently doing it in my laptop and it works flawlessly.

SSD drive is worth every penny and then some. I will never go back to putting my OS on anything but an SSD from here on out. I can start and use my computer within 3 seconds of windows loading. And that's with the drive nearly maxed out for available space.

Get a big PSU. The bigger the better. When you upgrade in the future it's one less thing to upgrade. And unlike MOBOs and chips, PSUs don't change slots or plugs. They're universal across the board. I have a 1000 Watt in my desktop for my SLI 8800GTS's.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I dunno your budget but here's a few things I've learned.

Get two older cards and SLI or Crossfire them. You'll get better performance out of them. Something like a 460 can be overclocked to 560 specs easily. I'm currently doing it in my laptop and it works flawlessly.

SSD drive is worth every penny and then some. I will never go back to putting my OS on anything but an SSD from here on out. I can start and use my computer within 3 seconds of windows loading. And that's with the drive nearly maxed out for available space.

Get a big PSU. The bigger the better. When you upgrade in the future it's one less thing to upgrade. And unlike MOBOs and chips, PSUs don't change slots or plugs. They're universal across the board. I have a 1000 Watt in my desktop for my SLI 8800GTS's.
mostly agree, though i'd caution that the older vid cards won't support the latest directx and open gl rendering, ...have slower memory
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I went through the same thing last september.

I ended up going with the i5 due to the fact that I do a lot of solid modeling.

Also, I highly recommend getting a small SSD to run the OS and commonly used apps like firefox and MS office. My system literally takes less than 30 seconds to fully boot, and power point/excel/word/etc open up instantly, no lag whatsoever.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not saying get a 2009 card, but he doesn't need whatever card that came out today when a 6 month old card would do just as well.

We're still on DX11 aren't we? My 460 can rock that.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
I would second the SSD for at the OS
I think you're 4th or 5thed lol.

Point is they're awesome.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I think you're 4th or 5thed lol.

Point is they're awesome.
lol yeah I know, just too lazy to count them!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #17

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
deal of the day at newegg for a plextor 128MB SATA III SSD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-014-_-Product
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'd agree with the others with springing for an SSD if you can afford. Budget aside I'd do that for your main drive with your operating system and a HDD for all your media, etc. I've had the itch to do a new build but just rebuilt mine last year with an I7. I've done a couple builds for myself as well ad building one for my neighbor. My first one went pretty smoothly its not hard just a little tedious your first time making sure you get everything hooked up right.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
tacobert is on a distinguished road
tacobert's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. A couple things you may want to consider

*i5 chip instead of the i3. This is well worth the upgrade
*mobo isn't bad. Gigabyte makes great mobo's so you may want to look at those if you're looking to do some minor tweaking.
*save money on the case and go with the antec 300. You can get these for $50 and get a good power supply.
* WD caviar black are great HD's and super fast.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
A little tweak up guide for power users out there that want to squeeze some more performance out of their high end systems with SSDs and lots of memory..
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/o...ation-guide-2/
I did everything on it, carefully. Cuts down on extra disk access and other un-needed crap (imho).

Products Discussed in this Thread