1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPad Wi-Fi or 3G?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 01tacoprerunner, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Apr 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner [OP] 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    So I am thinking about buying an iPad for school work, games internet use, reading books. I am in College, and a lot of the times I am somewhere that I could connect to Wi fi but I know it would be nice sometimes if I am not somewhere that I can, it would be nice to have 3G.

Anybody have any suggestion as to which way I should go? I am just trying to decide. Anybody have experience with buying one or the other and regreting it?

2. Apr 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    01tacoprerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    How do you tether your phone? I have an iPhone 4S, not jailbroken.

3. Apr 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    theTupper

theTupper White and Nerdy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB Off Road PreRunner
    Gotta do the jailbreak....this is what Ido as well...wifi iPad only...I refuse to pay for data twice.

4. Apr 30, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    01tacoprerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
  5. Apr 30, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got an iPad2 through work with 3G. I found I didn't end up using the 3G as much as I thought I would. I usually just always connected to a WiFi. Unless you feel you'll be without WiFi a lot where you'll need internet to justify the increased cost, I'd just get WiFi.

6. Apr 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    i went wifi. i didn't use that much internet on it anyway, and when im driving i only use it for music so i don't need internet then. other then that im usually in a wifi zone if i use internet, so it wasnt worth the extra monthly cost.

7. Apr 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    If you need a new GPS, you have to get the 3G version, if not just get the wifi version, and tethering with your iphone. If you use it on AT&T, you must jailbreak the iphone than purchasing and download program from Cydia, than you can have tethering.

8. Apr 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Gorillazrus

Gorillazrus To be continued...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    5100 Bilistens set @ 1" in front, Wheelers 5 leaf in rear, Leer Topper, TRD Skid Plate, Dual Band Ham Radio
    I have the one with 3G and love having the internal gps to play with. But if you don't care about that or don't mind having the dongle attached save a few dollars and just get the one with wifi.
    But their aint nothing like using ur pad as an in car gps :D

And for what it's worth u can use the gps without having a data plan, which is what I did for a while.

9. May 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    3G version have the GPS built in, why have to spend money to purchasing another few more dollars to get the GPS dingle? Also it did not use any data.

10. May 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    3G FTMFW :cool:

11. May 1, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I have the WiFi iPad2. (I got it as a gift) I think for the price that you pay, especially if you get the 3G, you can buy a decent laptop that can do all the stuff the iPad can do (internet, music, movies etc.) and you can run real programs instead of apps.
    I can't use mine for work because I need full Excel and Word functions, AutoCAD, etc. and the best apps out there are not fully compatible with Microsoft Office and AutoCAD. They are decent for basic stuff, but I would never use it for school or work over a real laptop.

If you have the money and want it in addition to a desktop computer or laptop, then go 3G and enjoy the toy.

Not trying to sway you away from it, just my honest opinion to keep in mind.

Products Discussed in

To Top