Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

iPad Wi-Fi or 3G?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
iPad Wi-Fi or 3G?

So I am thinking about buying an iPad for school work, games internet use, reading books. I am in College, and a lot of the times I am somewhere that I could connect to Wi fi but I know it would be nice sometimes if I am not somewhere that I can, it would be nice to have 3G.

Anybody have any suggestion as to which way I should go? I am just trying to decide. Anybody have experience with buying one or the other and regreting it?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I have wifi. works for me. can always tether your phone and get interwebs that way
Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
How do you tether your phone? I have an iPhone 4S, not jailbroken.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
How do you tether your phone? I have an iPhone 4S, not jailbroken.
Gotta do the jailbreak....this is what Ido as well...wifi iPad only...I refuse to pay for data twice.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
thecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thecoldone06's Tacoma Gallery
I got an iPad2 through work with 3G. I found I didn't end up using the 3G as much as I thought I would. I usually just always connected to a WiFi. Unless you feel you'll be without WiFi a lot where you'll need internet to justify the increased cost, I'd just get WiFi.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
If you need a new GPS, you have to get the 3G version, if not just get the wifi version, and tethering with your iphone. If you use it on AT&T, you must jailbreak the iphone than purchasing and download program from Cydia, than you can have tethering.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing103 View Post
If you need a new GPS, you have to get the 3G version, if not just get the wifi version, and tethering with your iphone. If you use it on AT&T, you must jailbreak the iphone than purchasing and download program from Cydia, than you can have tethering.
You can get a dongle too for GPS and it'll be used with satellite w/out needing internet
Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
I have the one with 3G and love having the internal gps to play with. But if you don't care about that or don't mind having the dongle attached save a few dollars and just get the one with wifi.
But their aint nothing like using ur pad as an in car gps

And for what it's worth u can use the gps without having a data plan, which is what I did for a while.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
You can get a dongle too for GPS and it'll be used with satellite w/out needing internet
3G version have the GPS built in, why have to spend money to purchasing another few more dollars to get the GPS dingle? Also it did not use any data.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I have the WiFi iPad2. (I got it as a gift) I think for the price that you pay, especially if you get the 3G, you can buy a decent laptop that can do all the stuff the iPad can do (internet, music, movies etc.) and you can run real programs instead of apps.
I can't use mine for work because I need full Excel and Word functions, AutoCAD, etc. and the best apps out there are not fully compatible with Microsoft Office and AutoCAD. They are decent for basic stuff, but I would never use it for school or work over a real laptop.

If you have the money and want it in addition to a desktop computer or laptop, then go 3G and enjoy the toy.

Not trying to sway you away from it, just my honest opinion to keep in mind.