Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Building a webpage

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
sammy87 [OP] sammy87 is offline
Senior Member
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sammy87's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: May 2010, #36576
Location: co
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,801
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Building a webpage

Hey I got a quick question for you computer guys.

My wife is starting a business later this year and we were talking about starting the web page to do this. It just needs to be pretty simple, but what's the best and easiest way to do this? We have 0 experience but if theres a place that has a template I can do that, or is it just an asspain and we should hire someone? (dont wanna do that) Is godaddy.com the place to do this?

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,878
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You need to do some research...find a webhosting service that has a simple & easy to use web builder.

My sister uses http://www.1and1.com/ . I have no experience with it other than guiding her along (and believe me, she still needs A LOT of help!).

It's not hard to do, especially if you have computer skills (she does not).

There are tons of different companies offering similar packages & web building capabilities. You just have to sift thru and find the one you want/like.

Other than that...it's really really really hard to explain everything in one post. Keep asking questions....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
wileyC's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2011, #65685
Location: Centerville, OH
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,805
wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
some providers have "cookie-cutter" page designs you can "slightly" customize w/ WYSIWYG-type interface (i think most of these are web-based design tools now), ...or you can hire a pro, or DIY... if you're a coder, you can write HTML from a text editor- upload the pages and associated graphics/content, ...you can buy a web authoring tool like Dreamweaver (but $$)... there may be some free web design tools out there by now, ..unfortunately i'm a bit out of the loop on the latest...

oh, ...and if you're into whipping up your own graphical content (i.e. look-n-feel), i'd recommend getting a decent photo-editing tool (PaintShop Pro, Photoshop, etc...)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
sammy87 [OP] sammy87 is offline
Senior Member
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sammy87's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: May 2010, #36576
Location: co
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,801
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info! My wife has a friend from school thats trying to start a web page design company and he said he would do it for $400. Do you think this is good and save us a bunch of asspain?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
wileyC's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2011, #65685
Location: Centerville, OH
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,805
wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Thanks for the info! My wife has a friend from school thats trying to start a web page design company and he said he would do it for $400. Do you think this is good and save us a bunch of asspain?
...maybe... depends what kind of features and look/feel you want for it... i.e. pertinent questions might be; will he do any graphics work, ...are you going to have a "logo" for your business/site?, ...etc... do you need an e-commerce setup (i.e. shopping cart, billing..)?..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,878
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Thanks for the info! My wife has a friend from school thats trying to start a web page design company and he said he would do it for $400. Do you think this is good and save us a bunch of asspain?
What exactly are they going to do? Initial design & setup? What type of page is it going to be? What does that $400 include? - There are domain registration fees (yearly) and web hosting fees (monthly) included with owning a webpage.

With a little research & learning, you could make up a basic webpage and have the knowledge it takes to make changes to it whenever you want - again, with the right web hosting and editing software. It'll be a simply page, but at least, you're able to go and make redesign changes at anytime.

To get the most out of a webpage and the amount of money you're paying to have a webpage - you'll want more than just a basic one page bare bones website. The more complex websites get, they'll usually need some sort of 'upkeep' and you'll always want to make changes to it, add new content, change old content - or else, people will get bored with it (if its a business, you'll want to attract customers). So..........with that being said.....
The person whom you are considering to pay $400 to make the webpage - will they be available to you in the future to make changes to the website and how much will that cost?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
sammy87 [OP] sammy87 is offline
Senior Member
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sammy87's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: May 2010, #36576
Location: co
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,801
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...maybe... depends what kind of features and look/feel you want for it... i.e. pertinent questions might be; will he do any graphics work, ...are you going to have a "logo" for your business/site?, ...etc... do you need an e-commerce setup (i.e. shopping cart, billing..)?..
We have a logo that's being created by a friend of mine but it will be included on the website. The ecommerce set up he can do, but there is a software package my wife wants thats specific to her business that he said if we purchase it he can install it. The bulk of the site will be a link to a schedule, some photos, bios of the employees.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
sammy87 [OP] sammy87 is offline
Senior Member
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sammy87's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: May 2010, #36576
Location: co
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,801
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What exactly are they going to do? Initial design & setup? What type of page is it going to be? What does that $400 include? - There are domain registration fees (yearly) and web hosting fees (monthly) included with owning a webpage.

With a little research & learning, you could make up a basic webpage and have the knowledge it takes to make changes to it whenever you want - again, with the right web hosting and editing software. It'll be a simply page, but at least, you're able to go and make redesign changes at anytime.

To get the most out of a webpage and the amount of money you're paying to have a webpage - you'll want more than just a basic one page bare bones website. The more complex websites get, they'll usually need some sort of 'upkeep' and you'll always want to make changes to it, add new content, change old content - or else, people will get bored with it (if its a business, you'll want to attract customers). So..........with that being said.....
The person whom you are considering to pay $400 to make the webpage - will they be available to you in the future to make changes to the website and how much will that cost?

Thanks again for the info...My wife talked to the guy, from what I got he can do about anything we want, post videos/pics, links to bios on the employees, schedules, and I think he will teach her how to change stuff once its up and going. I do not think it includes the domain and hosting fees. Its a friend of hers from school. I dont know the guy but aparantly other people from her school have used him. I really dont know shit about this or I would try and do it for her.

Thanks again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,878
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Thanks again for the info...My wife talked to the guy, from what I got he can do about anything we want, post videos/pics, links to bios on the employees, schedules, and I think he will teach her how to change stuff once its up and going. I do not think it includes the domain and hosting fees. Its a friend of hers from school. I dont know the guy but aparantly other people from her school have used him. I really dont know shit about this or I would try and do it for her.

Thanks again.
Depending on how they set things up, it can be VERY VERY complex. Complex meaning - it won't be easy to make changes without some assistance from the person who set it up. Complex meaning, you may need special software. It's not something you can learn overnight.

Whatever you do - make sure this person who does the site for you fully understands that they may need to help you with changes in the future...

OR...

Have them do the website from your HOME, setup on your computer, using software that is easy to manipulate for a beginner. They can TEACH YOU and your wife (at the same time) while they're setting the website up. You can actually see what goes into the design and the development process and you can see how to make changes in the future (if needed).

Good Luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
wileyC's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2011, #65685
Location: Centerville, OH
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,805
wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
We have a logo that's being created by a friend of mine but it will be included on the website. The ecommerce set up he can do, but there is a software package my wife wants thats specific to her business that he said if we purchase it he can install it. The bulk of the site will be a link to a schedule, some photos, bios of the employees.
sounds like it may be worthwhile, but i'd first ask the guy to point you to a couple sites he's done before - how "flashy" do you want your site? that way you can get a feel for what you're getting... janster makes a good point about finding out how you can "update" content on your site - i.e. what elements would need updating - photos?, ...text, ..product listing, etc? you probably want him to explain this to you, and stress that you want the site layout to designed in a way to make it easier on you...
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building the cleanTRDmachine cleanTRDmachine 2nd Gen. Builds 46 05-30-2012 04:58 AM
Building a Trebuchet tacomaprerunner Off-Topic Discussion 46 10-11-2010 07:35 PM
Building a house. cbcs1987 Off-Topic Discussion 51 11-05-2009 05:48 PM
Building a grillcraft rab89 1st Gen. Tacomas 0 09-09-2009 12:51 AM
Building a BigToy BigToy 2nd Gen. Builds 11 12-11-2008 11:07 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.