1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Laptop suggestions (not a computer guy)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    trianimal

trianimal Certified

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DC 4x4 BSP
    TRD Supercharger, URD UCONN EMS, URD 2.85 pulley, URD 7th Injector, DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, URD 02 Sensor, Walbro 255 fuel pump, TRD cat-back exhaust, TRD CAI, Donahoe Racing (pre-Icon) 2.5" dia. adj. front & rear resi shocks, All-Pro Offroad 3" rear leafs, All-Pro Offroad U-bolt flip kit, All Pro-Offroad Aluminum Skid Plate, Light Racing UCAs, Tom Woods 1-piece driveshaft, Shrockworks sliders, Avid light bar w/o lower tubes and a pair of Rigid Industries Dually LED Driving lights, Toytec diff drop, Color matched grille, Diaz Devil Horns, Redline hood struts, EZ Down tailgate, Undercover bed cover, 750 watts of sound (JVC, Morrel, Rockford-Fosgate & Infinity), BHLM w/ PIAA 4000K, FLM w/PIAA 4000K, LED interior lights. FN wheels with Toyo Open Country A/T II 285/75R 16 tires

15" MacBook Pro

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    Mac. yes, you can get more features or rams or gigs or megs or whatever for cheaper with a pc, but you'll buy two of them in the time you'll buy 1 mac.
    they are so much easier and smarter to use, you'll never go back!

I am going on 4 years with my mac, it's as fast as ever, and only went into the shop ONCE. warranty of course fixed it for free :D

there is also only one virus I've ever heard of that has effected mac users.
    I have no problem clicking any web page etc on my mac, because they don't get viruses like a pc does.
    you also wont have to buy any of those TERRIBLE virus protection programs that constantly want updating on PC.

they also come with a lot of cool programs, music programs, video programs, photo programs etc...

anytime you plug something into a mac, it recognizes it and sets it up for you, like a printer, from my experience, pc's are just annoying to use, my mac is so so easy!

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Just be sure to get a good processor. If you go into BB and get someone that really knows their stuff, they can steer you to what you're wanting/needing. Mine has an Intel i3 Core and does all I need it to. But at least get that or an equivalent with the Amd imo. May want something more now as fast as the technology changes. :notsure:

As far as brands, I used to like HP, can't really say much bad on them except my brother had problems with one that was apparently notorious for having bad motherboards. I bought a Toshiba and have loved it so for.

From the sounds of it you should be able to get what you need for around $500 or so. Good luck!

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    FastEddie

FastEddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
    I would advise you to wait till later July or early August when the deals for the new school year deals come out. Intel also has new processors coming out, ivy bridge, so if you wait till those are in stores, you should be able to get a great deal on the old processors, sandy bridge. I would not advise you to buy from Best Buy because they sell old and overpriced technology. Here is a website that I like to use to order discounted electronics:

http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_3_0

5. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    A lot of you guys are bringing up Macs but arent those pricey even for the lower end ones? I think when I was looking I couldnt find one for under a grand.

6. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    trianimal

trianimal Certified

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DC 4x4 BSP
    TRD Supercharger, URD UCONN EMS, URD 2.85 pulley, URD 7th Injector, DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, URD 02 Sensor, Walbro 255 fuel pump, TRD cat-back exhaust, TRD CAI, Donahoe Racing (pre-Icon) 2.5" dia. adj. front & rear resi shocks, All-Pro Offroad 3" rear leafs, All-Pro Offroad U-bolt flip kit, All Pro-Offroad Aluminum Skid Plate, Light Racing UCAs, Tom Woods 1-piece driveshaft, Shrockworks sliders, Avid light bar w/o lower tubes and a pair of Rigid Industries Dually LED Driving lights, Toytec diff drop, Color matched grille, Diaz Devil Horns, Redline hood struts, EZ Down tailgate, Undercover bed cover, 750 watts of sound (JVC, Morrel, Rockford-Fosgate & Infinity), BHLM w/ PIAA 4000K, FLM w/PIAA 4000K, LED interior lights. FN wheels with Toyo Open Country A/T II 285/75R 16 tires
    You only have to buy quality once.

7. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    bahahaha

8. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    not sure how a mac can outlast a PC when there is much of a difference hardware wise?

people just figure they should just get rid of a PC when it gets a virus/malware, or has a software issue. when in reality there is nothing even wrong with the hardware (just an ignorant user)

9. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    +1000 for this.

After Mac switched to Intel standards they basically became identical to PCs under the hood. Apple just decides exactly which hardware you get to use because as many have mentioned - their laptops are not very upgradeable.

The whole PC vs Mac debate is personal preference and application needs. It has nothing to do with reliability of the hardware.
    EDIT: oh yeah, and eye-candy. Apple makes sexier packaging.

10. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    True true but I think it might be a little much for him for what he wants to use if for.

11. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    What dream world are you living in? Macs do get viruses just like any other computer. And there are far more than just one. They aren't as prone to them as PCs, but they do exist and they do get them. Next time the "expert" at Apple tells you they are immune to viruses, smack him for me would ya? Those "TERRIBLE" antivirus programs are also made for Macs. You can find one at your local Apple store.

I had an 8 year old IBM ThinkPad T42 that ran like a champ when I gave it to my mother. NEVER had a single issue with it. I only upgraded cause I found a smoking deal on an MUCH more powerful quad core Toshiba. She's still using it to this day. As with any piece of equipment, the more you know how to maintain it, the longer it will last. Just think how long your truck would last if you were a mechanic. Same applies in the computing world.

As for connecting a device and having it configured for you, they call it plug-n-play? PCs have been doing it for ages. Even better now with Windows 7.

Macs are nice computers. But they are not this Holy Grail that Apple would have you think they are. When Windows PC has an issue, they called it a bug. When a Mac has one, they call it an undocumented enhancement. :p

12. Jun 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Never thought I would because I'm used to the old school OS but I got a MacBook Air :)

Got the external MacBook Air SuperDrive (pretty outrageous name for a CD drive)

And for the first time ever in my life I paid for Microsoft Office haha decided to be honest for once with that one. Still figuring this thing out but it's pretty natural. I'm impressed thus far and glad I made the choice I did.

Found a buyer for my old, gigantic Toshiba already too :)

Thanks for the input, hopefully it'll help someone who knows how to Search in the future too

13. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    For those who have a similar computer, any other tidbits I should look into. I'm ordering a keyboard cover and a protective case for it, and as stated have the CD drive. I think I'm good, yes?

14. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    tuckdaddy

tuckdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    from what you have gotten you should be all set that case is a must to keep the alminium looking nice for a long time. maybe a mouse? when i had my mac(13 inch macbook pro) i bought the wireless mouse and loved it thats the only other thing id recomend!

15. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    KAGING

KAGING Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    just call me "KAGS"
    OC
    Vehicle:
    RED PreRunner SR5 Short Bed
    Flowmaster Exhaust 50 Series, BLHM, Toyota Tube Step & Bed Extender, Bike Rack Mount on Bed, Windows & Bug Deflector, Emblems & TRD Stickers Off, Grill Rims Caliper Drum Tube Step Painted.....
    macbook

16. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Yup I'm deciding between cases now, it's hard to choose from a picture.

Keyboard cover and good call on a wireless mouse, I won't get it now but I'll see if I feel like it's needed. Thanks

17. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    tuckdaddy

tuckdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    no problem!

18. Jun 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    you seem to know your computers, that's great, and that's the reason a pc works for you.

I don't want to waste my time trying to fix/upgrade/protect my computer all the time, nor do I want to learn any more about it than I need to know.

I've been using a pc at work for some time now, and have experienced numerous times (10 ish) that we had to call someone to come fix our computers.

I've had my mac for 4 years, and I have never had to call "tech support"

Windows is like ford, they bring out new stuff way too often, and they are constantly trying to keep up with all the bugs they have created.

PC's are great for people who know computers, and are looking to build a specific computer for a specific thing, but that's not what OP was looking for.

OP, Congrats on your purchase, you've got a great computer there that I am sure you will love!

19. Jun 5, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    From my experience thus far I have to say I still don't lean toward Mac or PC. I'd buy either or again.

20. Jun 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket

Products Discussed in

To Top