Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Laptop suggestions (not a computer guy)

Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Laptop suggestions (not a computer guy)

I am considering getting a new laptop for school use. My current one is old and barely works.

I don't play games, don't watch movies or videos on it, I don't even have internet in my apartment. I am all about spending whatever it takes to get something quality and functional but don't like spending a penny on "extras" I don't need.

My budget is pretty much based off the functionality of the laptop.
I obviously don't need much so a simple $600 one will do, but have no problem dropping over a K IF there is good reason for it.

I'm not Mac or PC biased all that much except that I have experience with old school stuff and would slightly prefer to stick with that over an Apple product.

I just need something not huge, not tiny and preferably very thin and lightweight, no fancy movie or gaming packages.

Only reason I've turned here for some input is 1.) I don't know jack about computers at all and 2.) Neither do the dbags at best buy apparently

Thanks for any advice on what to get, I just need some leads to get me started.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
before i had my mac book pro or alienware m11 i had an hp that i really liked id recomend looking at those quality laptops at a decent price! hope this helps some!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Alienware would be nice ha them again so would mid travel but I don't NEED either

Thanks for the input. I'm headed to another store to see if there are any people more competent than the stickers on the display. . .
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
2012 Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Navy: Attack Squadron 82
Name: Todd
2012 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Chaz, Take a look at Sunday's Best Buy add..There are a few HP's, Toshiba's for 400 to 600 that will give you wi-fi, dvd, have decent batteries, will run MS Office, etc...If you are not needing a gamer then these will do fine for you.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
jkulysses is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-41 Infantry Battalion (Straight and Stalwart)
Name: Jake
jkulysses's Tacoma Gallery
I used to swear by HP but the last couple have been pieces of junk and their customer service has really went to crap. If I was looking at a PC right now I would be leaning more towards Toshiba, Samsung or Sony but honestly my next laptop will be an Apple. It's like the difference between a Ford Ranger and a Toyota Tacoma and yes I've had both of those too lol. Actually this is my 2nd Tacoma but my Ford Ranger would pretty much do everything a Tacoma could, but it's not nearly as refined as far as fit and finish, smoothness in motor/tranny etc etc. I'm sick of always messing with PC's and windows ticking me off and goofing up all the time or needing to be restarted. For school you could get a nice Apple for about a grand but I'd look at the cheapest pro version for the metal case and the back lit keyboard which is very nice in dark/dim lit areas.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Tacoma View Post
Chaz, Take a look at Sunday's Best Buy add..There are a few HP's, Toshiba's for 400 to 600 that will give you wi-fi, dvd, have decent batteries, will run MS Office, etc...If you are not needing a gamer then these will do fine for you.
x2^!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I was in your shoes about 1.5 years ago and I didnt need anything real fancy neither. I mostly use mine for e-mails and the internet. I do some GoPro video editing but thats about it. I went with a Dell Inspiron 17R but I'm sure they have different models now. Some people said that Dell wasnt a good company but I have yet to have any issues with it (knock on wood.) Its about a mid-grade computer so it might be what you are looking for. Here is a thread I made before I bought it that might help you a little bit.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...-laptop-2.html
Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Only had one problem with my Mac in the 3+ years I've had it...Went through 2 PC (HP for one and toshiba the other) laptops in less than a year due to the innerworkings overheating. Would have cost about half the price of the laptop to fix it. Plus, even with all the so called "top notch" anti-virus programs for PC, I was constantly getting them.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
Banned
ruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ruler's Tacoma Gallery
most people that dont know how to use computers get mac, most people wanna get rid of their pc when they get a virus or malware and dont know how to fix it when theres nothing even wrong with the hardware, just clicked on two many ad's/pop ups, or being cheap and trying to download free music, etc
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Fear no fish

a laptop with windows os has more software options and programs avaliable to them than macs. ive had both and really loved my mac(basic 13 inch pro) but when i upgraded the os to lion the thing became a dinosaur and took ages to open anything and would crash constantly. ive since moved on to an alienware and am very pleased i know thats a little over the top for what the op asked but i think apple is a little overrated and overpriced for what you get. jsut do your research as a computer is basically a small investment.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Eddy
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
New MacBook Pros on Way

Don't think it's in your range, but Apple is highly rumored to reveal the new Macbook Pros next week at WWDC....incase you wanna spend more
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest the macbook air. The smallest version is 999 but not sure if you are a big guy with big hands. If so then the 13" may be too small.

They are great, light weight, long lasting batteries and very good graphics. The only draw back is that it does not have a cd/dvd player. But if you don't watch movies on it then that won't matter.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
Only had one problem with my Mac in the 3+ years I've had it...Went through 2 PC (HP for one and toshiba the other) laptops in less than a year due to the innerworkings overheating. Would have cost about half the price of the laptop to fix it. Plus, even with all the so called "top notch" anti-virus programs for PC, I was constantly getting them.
We use HP laptops at work and one of my Captains, his had issues with overheating but mine and the others are just fine. But the fan doesnt seem to blow a lot of air it feels like. My Dell has a really good fan and blows a lot of air when it cools off.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Fear no fish

http://apcmag.com/macbook_air_top_10...ng_with_it.htm

the air is pretty sweet but impratical in most cases due to these reasons espically the hard drive..
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdaddy View Post
http://apcmag.com/macbook_air_top_10...ng_with_it.htm

the air is pretty sweet but impratical in most cases due to these reasons espically the hard drive..
this would apply to the 1st gen MacBook Air, but not the current models.
More than half of these top ten issues are no longer an issue. Also a Mac review by PC Mag should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Fear no fish

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
    this would apply to the 1st gen MacBook Air, but not the current models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
More than half of these top ten issues are no longer an issue. Also a Mac review by PC Mag should be taken with a grain of salt.

its a great laptop dont get me wrong but when i looked the usb, hard drive and prosessor pushed me away from it.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
rwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nice

Name: Ray
rwhite188's Tacoma Gallery
I had a couple of hp's that were good, but my best laptops has been the 2 dells I have had.. I have a Dell Inspiron 17R Laptop now and I love it.. My mother bought a cheap Toshiba and it has been by far the worse laptop I have ever seen.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite188 View Post
I had a couple of hp's that were good, but my best laptops has been the 2 dells I have had.. I have a Dell Inspiron 17R Laptop now and I love it.. My mother bought a cheap Toshiba and it has been by far the worse laptop I have ever seen.
I got the same laptop as you right now and I love mine too!! If it lasts for a while I might stick with Dell laptops from now on.