Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Excel Help!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Excel Help!

I have a sheet I'm making and its an odd one, im close but I am not 100% there yet

What I am trying to do

Sheet 1

I have date in Row A and a tag in Row B, Sheet 2 i built a countif to count the amount each tags individually pop up

=SUM(COUNTIF('log take 1'!C:C,A2))

in order to that you can see i moved the individual tags in Row A ,now the next key in order to build a proper bar graph I need to know how many times each individual tag dropped on each day.....

i was trying a countifs but i cant seem to get anything but a sum of 0

im going try a filter but if anyone is up for a challenge have a whirl, ill upload an excel copy right away

ummm my excel file is too large, so if you want the sheet send me a pm with your email ill send a copy
Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
From your formula, it looks like you're counting items in column C. So, "count if" the item in A2 is found in 'log take 1" column C. If nothing is in C (which you didn't mention), you'll get a 0.

Also, you don't need the sum function. The Countif function will return the number of cells that match your criteria.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
From your formula, it looks like you're counting items in column C. So, "count if" the item in A2 is found in 'log take 1" column C. If nothing is in C (which you didn't mention), you'll get a 0.

Also, you don't need the sum function. The Countif function will return the number of cells that match your criteria.
log take 1 has data in in column C if it matches column A on sheet b it counts,

I built a pivot table and was able to decipher my issue, my only problem is i do not like the layout of pivot tables

I might build a filter array and than I may be able to get it to tell me which cells need to go where
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
w/out seeing the spreadsheet in question, i don't know, ...but i will give some words of wisdom when scratching one's head over unexpected results in excel formulas:

- be weary of data (especially if imported or pasted from outside source), ...on several occasions i've seen where data will show up as expected in the cells, but in reality may contain a very minute difference from rounding or from some measurement... i.e. expecting to use formulas that will "work" assuming all your data are truely integers may not work right if some data have these minute rounding errors - this is because conditionals trying to compare two numbers to see if they are "equal" is interpreted literally..