1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Excel Help!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bulhas, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Jun 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    bulhas

bulhas [OP] the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    I have a sheet I'm making and its an odd one, im close but I am not 100% there yet

What I am trying to do

Sheet 1

I have date in Row A and a tag in Row B, Sheet 2 i built a countif to count the amount each tags individually pop up

=SUM(COUNTIF('log take 1'!C:C,A2))

in order to that you can see i moved the individual tags in Row A ,now the next key in order to build a proper bar graph I need to know how many times each individual tag dropped on each day.....

i was trying a countifs but i cant seem to get anything but a sum of 0

im going try a filter but if anyone is up for a challenge have a whirl, ill upload an excel copy right away

ummm my excel file is too large, so if you want the sheet send me a pm with your email ill send a copy

2. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    From your formula, it looks like you're counting items in column C. So, "count if" the item in A2 is found in 'log take 1" column C. If nothing is in C (which you didn't mention), you'll get a 0.

Also, you don't need the sum function. The Countif function will return the number of cells that match your criteria.

3. Jun 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    bulhas

bulhas [OP] the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    log take 1 has data in in column C if it matches column A on sheet b it counts,

I built a pivot table and was able to decipher my issue, my only problem is i do not like the layout of pivot tables

I might build a filter array and than I may be able to get it to tell me which cells need to go where

4. Jun 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    w/out seeing the spreadsheet in question, i don't know, ...but i will give some words of wisdom when scratching one's head over unexpected results in excel formulas:

- be weary of data (especially if imported or pasted from outside source), ...on several occasions i've seen where data will show up as expected in the cells, but in reality may contain a very minute difference from rounding or from some measurement... i.e. expecting to use formulas that will "work" assuming all your data are truely integers may not work right if some data have these minute rounding errors - this is because conditionals trying to compare two numbers to see if they are "equal" is interpreted literally..

Products Discussed in

To Top