Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Desktop computer setups

Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
LIVESTRONG
Bullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bullzi511Tacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Question Desktop computer setups

Hey yall. I was wondering if any of you tech guys have a desktop computer setup with the monitor mounted to the wall and just a shelf setup for your keyboard/mouse. I want to try out, but wanted to see if anybody else had tried this and had any feedback. Our (soon to be) home office is not a very large room so I am trying to save some space by avoiding a full desk.

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
I guess its Doable but where are you going to put your feet? I guess it depends on how far away this "Shelf" comes away from the wall? You would need to sit in your chair facing the wall and then get comfy and relaxed. Then have some one measure how far away the shelf will need to come away from the wall for you to comfortably reach the keyboard and mouse while also making sure you have enough leg and foot room. Anything 12 inches or less and you will prolly be leaning forward in your chair just to reach and type on the keybord.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
LIVESTRONG
Bullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
I guess its Doable but where are you going to put your feet? I guess it depends on how far away this "Shelf" comes away from the wall? You would need to sit in your chair facing the wall and then get comfy and relaxed. Then have some one measure how far away the shelf will need to come away from the wall for you to comfortably reach the keyboard and mouse while also making sure you have enough leg and foot room. Anything 12 inches or less and you will prolly be leaning forward in your chair just to reach and type on the keybord.
Yeah, I was figuring I'd need to find the chair I want first, then figure out how far out to bring the shelf. I also think I could use a roll out (or possibly a fold down system) so I could extend it out while in use but have it up out of the way when not. I was really hoping somebody here had a similar setup I could borrow ideas from. Thanks for responding (:
Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
LIVESTRONG

This is kind of what I originally had in mind. It wouldn't be an issue to build a "box" to keep the computer in, then have the monitor up on the wall, and a shelf for my mouse and keyboard. Not necessarily needing all the accent lighting, but they're onto something with sitting up higher, less leg room needed. Even better if I could do it with a wireless keyboard and mouse, only have the one cord in plain sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Desktop computer setups-screen-shot-2012-06-25-2.40.54-pm.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Get a mac and mount that bitch to the wall, then get a wireless keyboard and mouse

Or just get a regular desktop and put the tower on the floor and run a wireless keyboard and mouse too then you can mount the monitor wherever you want to...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
LIVESTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
make sure the tower has proper ventilation
Good point. Thanks guys. It'll be a few weeks before I start working on this, so if yall think of anything else, please throw it up on here!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
LIVESTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Get a mac and mount that bitch to the wall, then get a wireless keyboard and mouse

Or just get a regular desktop and put the tower on the floor and run a wireless keyboard and mouse too then you can mount the monitor wherever you want to...
Lol. I've got a MacBook Pro. It's all I use. This is will be minimally used by my better half, who also had a laptop. Hence I don't want to use a lot of space up on it.

Pretty good idea there too. Hmmmm
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
bjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bradley
bjhn83's Tacoma Gallery
This is my computer setup. 6" KRK monitors (Absolutely love them) and iMac. I thought about monting my monitors on shelves when I moved into my new place but decided against it because of the issue of where to hide all the wires, holes in the wall, finding studs, making brackets etc. $40 desk on Craigslist did the job and has plenty of desk space. The wall mounts would look cool but alot of work for something you might want to move around anyways.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
LIVESTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhn83 View Post
This is my computer setup. 6" KRK monitors (Absolutely love them) and iMac. I thought about monting my monitors on shelves when I moved into my new place but decided against it because of the issue of where to hide all the wires, holes in the wall, finding studs, making brackets etc. $40 desk on Craigslist did the job and has plenty of desk space. The wall mounts would look cool but alot of work for something you might want to move around anyways.
Thanks for the pic! Nice setup (:
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
We've squeezed into tight spaces before and found such environments be cramped and uncomfortable. Our "home office" is now in the living room, with an abundance of space, a view of the main television, and quick access to the kitchen.

We also use laptops with wireless networking, allowing us to move freely around the house, garage, workshop, or yard. The television in the living room is also a computer monitor, so, with a laptop plugged in, we can even lounge on the couch while viewing on the much larger screen. Of course, those laptops are PC's (wouldn't even consider a Mac).

If you have kids which might bother you in the living room, what about bunk beds for them with your office in the vacated bedroom? Or perhaps you can find some space in another room (master bedroom, the kitchen, etc). Of course, the most obvious solution is finding a home with sufficient space for your needs in the first place.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered a built in wall desk, possibly with a seat in the corner? That's what I currently use but the sides of the desk only comes out 2 ft which is more than sufficient for a computer to be setup on. In fact my room-mate and I (back when I used to have one) were both able to use the desk.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
LIVESTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
We've squeezed into tight spaces before and found such environments be cramped and uncomfortable. Our "home office" is now in the living room, with an abundance of space, a view of the main television, and quick access to the kitchen.

We also use laptops with wireless networking, allowing us to move freely around the house, garage, workshop, or yard. The television in the living room is also a computer monitor, so, with a laptop plugged in, we can even lounge on the couch while viewing on the much larger screen. Of course, those laptops are PC's (wouldn't even consider a Mac).

If you have kids which might bother you in the living room, what about bunk beds for them with your office in the vacated bedroom? Or perhaps you can find some space in another room (master bedroom, the kitchen, etc). Of course, the most obvious solution is finding a home with sufficient space for your needs in the first place.
Yeah we each have laptops (MacBook and HP) as well. This area won't be used a whole lot, so trying to not have to commit a lot of space to it. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpvds View Post
Have you considered a built in wall desk, possibly with a seat in the corner? That's what I currently use but the sides of the desk only comes out 2 ft which is more than sufficient for a computer to be setup on. In fact my room-mate and I (back when I used to have one) were both able to use the desk.

Thanks for the pic. We actually did have an idea about this. But yet again, trying to minimize the space taken up.

I've got a real good mental picture now, will post up a picture of what we end up going with once it gets done.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
check these guys out. They can be spendy, but their products are top notch. I bought a dual arm setup for my home, and loved them when I worked at Intel and they bought a bunch for our test benches.

http://www.ergotron.com/