Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Need help choosing a motherboard and CPU

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Need help choosing a motherboard and CPU

I need a new motherboard and CPU for a desktop my grandpa just gave me I think I want to run a i5 but I don't know what to look for as far as a motherboard, I would like it to have 4 RAM slots and 3 or 4 PCI express slots. Right now the computer has a intel 96 CPU in it.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I've been happy with my ASrock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157271

and i5 2500k sandy bridge

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072
Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
all right thanks ill keep that in mind, a bit expensive though
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
all right thanks ill keep that in mind, a bit expensive though
yeah I paid 1000 on my desktop build including operating system and a SSD. Couldn't be happier.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I need a new motherboard and CPU for a desktop my grandpa just gave me I think I want to run a i5 but I don't know what to look for as far as a motherboard, I would like it to have 4 RAM slots and 3 or 4 PCI express slots. Right now the computer has a intel 96 CPU in it.
How much are you looking to spend ? Also, are you attached to the case that your grandpa gave you ? You may need to swap out the power supply to handle some of the newer boards and CPUs out in the market....
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNakedBooda View Post
How much are you looking to spend ? Also, are you attached to the case that your grandpa gave you ? You may need to swap out the power supply to handle some of the newer boards and CPUs out in the market....
As little as possible, I need a new hdd, a OS, RAM, and mobo and CPU, from what I've found it will cost 160$ for windows 7 home premium 64 bit and 8 gb corsair ram, a hdd 40$-80$ depending on size,mobo 70$-90$, and a CPU ~200. I'm not attached to anything,just want it to be as cheap as possible without problems. How does a 550 or 600 watt psu sound?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
What do you do with the computer? I would get a nice case that has plenty of airflow, I have a nice Antec with 5 fans and dust filters, you want to keep all your new goodies nice and cool. Usually NewEgg has some mobo+cpu combos that are priced ok, I get weekly emails from them on sale items too. Also tweaking windows will gain you alittle bit of performance too, thats one thing alot of people overlook, I set my windows to use the classic look instead of all that flashy transparent moving stuff
Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
If ur wanting to do this on the cheap, why not go with AMD?

I dont know about doing it on the cheap but I'd take an AMD over Intel any day, back when I used to build servers (up to 128 nodes) We'd do a 72 hour burn-in session for all out going servers (some of our customers were Stanford, Duke university, Pixar pictures, steven spielburgs Industrial lights & magic, pretty high end users)

& We'd over clock those AMD's like no tomorrow & they'd never whimper,crash or complain.. the dual core intels on the otherhand, slow ,fussy , unforgiving POS , if we had a failed server rack out in the field 8 times out of 10 it'd be the intels

AMD's live to be over clocked, & reliably i'll add, just keep them as cool as possible (a ton of arctic silver helps alot...)
Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh I didn't mean cheap as in quality my friend... I meant cheap in comparison to intel.... trust me im running an amd 940 quad black edition I've had for a few yrs now.

Ill never spend intel money when I can get comparable quality in an amd chip.

Hell I am brother !!! those intels is some pricy shit.. as opposed to the AMD's , I haven't really kept up since I worked for a company called RackSaver here in san diego , its called something else now.. & it wasn't Speilbergs place it was George Lucas is who i was thinking of, anyway we built a hell of a full server HDC Cluster servers, just fuckin' balls out turbine whine from about 336 high speed ball bearing cooling fans, had to keep the burn room down to about 68 degrees constant, but the management were the cheapest, most chicken shit motherfuckers I ever worked for ..
Old 07-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
What do you do with the computer? I would get a nice case that has plenty of airflow, I have a nice Antec with 5 fans and dust filters, you want to keep all your new goodies nice and cool. Usually NewEgg has some mobo+cpu combos that are priced ok, I get weekly emails from them on sale items too. Also tweaking windows will gain you alittle bit of performance too, thats one thing alot of people overlook, I set my windows to use the classic look instead of all that flashy transparent moving stuff
Watch Netflix, play games like age of empires ,call of duty , read emails, surf the web.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If ur wanting to do this on the cheap, why not go with AMD?
No reason I looked and found this http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Qua...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t really good price for a quad core cpu
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Never used a micro atx board myself......does it have all the slots u will need and does your case support micro atx form factor?

Maybe stating the obvious, but its all I got....I just woke up

sleepyhead.....
Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Never used a micro atx board myself......does it have all the slots u will need and does your case support micro atx form factor?

Maybe stating the obvious, but its all I got....I just woke up
im pretty sure, yes, i have no idea i googled micro atx and only got more confused, so pictures? lucky you i was up all day yesterday most of last night and just got home at noon today, traveling from fort worth to san diego
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
howdy bud ........My shoulder was killin me yesterday....still is, but its getting better. Sometimes I just close a door wrong and its hell.

well, welcome home

what kind of case do u have?
U can usually look up the specs.....many newer cases will support standard to mini, and maybe more which is why the standoffs are movable

since u asked tho

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd a linky that helps

http://www.silverstonetek.com/techta...a&tid=wh11_008
thanks the motherboard in there is a standard atx, so this? http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us...del=A55%20Pro3 the case i have no idea, its one of those cool ones where you can pull the motherboard tray out the back, ill take pictures. the cpu is a old intel pentium 2 with mmx technology.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I've built my own computers for years and used many different brands of boards. Most of the cheap ones only last a couple years. Go for a good brand and don't buy the cheapest. Personally I only buy Intel boards now, they are rock solid. My personal PC at home is now 5+ years old now and still going strong, and my kids have been running for a couple of years straight with zero issues.

I can't stress this enough, though -- GET A GOOD POWER SUPPLY! A cheap one will eventually ruin any board that you buy. Spend at least $75 on a good one. This is often overlooked.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
I've built my own computers for years and used many different brands of boards. Most of the cheap ones only last a couple years. Go for a good brand and don't buy the cheapest. Personally I only buy Intel boards now, they are rock solid. My personal PC at home is now 5+ years old now and still going strong, and my kids have been running for a couple of years straight with zero issues.

I can't stress this enough, though -- GET A GOOD POWER SUPPLY! A cheap one will eventually ruin any board that you buy. Spend at least $75 on a good one. This is often overlooked.
any brands to look at in particular? how do i know how much power i need? i dont plan on over clocking,ill probably only run a 1 gb video card. thanks for the info.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
heres the pics. what are the long black ports in the first pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Need help  choosing a motherboard and CPU-mobo-pics.jpg   Need help  choosing a motherboard and CPU-mobo-pics3.jpg   Need help  choosing a motherboard and CPU-pc-mobo.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
any brands to look at in particular? how do i know how much power i need? i dont plan on over clocking,ill probably only run a 1 gb video card. thanks for the info.
I always stick with either Antec or Enermax, but there are some other good brands as well -- just don't go for the cheapest. 500W minimum (just in case), something about 650W should be plenty even for SLI/Crossfire.

NewEgg has this Antec:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371035

and this Enermax:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194094
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #20

Quote:
heres the pics. what are the long black ports in the first pic?
LOL, those are old ISA slots. That is a relic.

Products Discussed in this Thread