Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

linux for an old computer...

Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
linux for an old computer...

..have an old windows box, 450MHz PIII, been sitting around shelved, ...what's the feasibility of making this basically a media extender to get internet in my bedroom tv?

also thinking wiping the HDDs and install some linux flavor, ..but not sure which one (there are so many)... primary thing is just internet for me, so need a linux-compatible wi-fi adapter? all the adapters i have only had windows drivers... does linux include many of the drivers for these, even some older ones? other thing is how difficult to get a wireless keyboard/mouse to work w/ it?..
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
So you just want the pc sitting next to your tv for internet use? I would look around for a distro that comes with a lightweight desktop manager (fluxbox, xfce, lxde, etc..), it can be troublesome to install a new desktop manager sometimes. I just got back into the linux scene after a few years, it took me a week to get my soundcard to work, would be easier to just use onboard sound probably. I'm about to download a media server to use with my PS3....I'll see how that goes. As for wifi I stay away from it in all forms, its just not my thing. I don't know what distro is best for wifi support, it all depends on the kernel since thats where the drivers reside, you may have to do some work to get them all working (wifi adapter, keyboard and mouse). If you post on a linux help forum you might have better luck then here
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
thanks,... i'm looking at some info/vids on the www... lots seem to have chicks hosting their own "shows" on the subject

i'll need to have the wi-fi connection though, since i'm not hardwired for ethernet...
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Are you just trying to connect the TV to internet? Or do you want a useable system there that can display on the TV?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
Are you just trying to connect the TV to internet? Or do you want a useable system there that can display on the TV?
well, ...just connecting the tv to the internet... this is an old micron computer i have lying around (spare), so figure might as well try to use it - only thing i've had to replace in it is two fans... i tend to hold on to stuff, so i don't always have the latest/greatest, i'll let others work the kinks out of those and bring the costs down