1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

linux for an old computer...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by wileyC, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jul 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    wileyC

wileyC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ..have an old windows box, 450MHz PIII, been sitting around shelved, ...what's the feasibility of making this basically a media extender to get internet in my bedroom tv?

also thinking wiping the HDDs and install some linux flavor, ..but not sure which one (there are so many)... primary thing is just internet for me, so need a linux-compatible wi-fi adapter? all the adapters i have only had windows drivers... does linux include many of the drivers for these, even some older ones? other thing is how difficult to get a wireless keyboard/mouse to work w/ it?..

2. Jul 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    So you just want the pc sitting next to your tv for internet use? I would look around for a distro that comes with a lightweight desktop manager (fluxbox, xfce, lxde, etc..), it can be troublesome to install a new desktop manager sometimes. I just got back into the linux scene after a few years, it took me a week to get my soundcard to work, would be easier to just use onboard sound probably. I'm about to download a media server to use with my PS3....I'll see how that goes. As for wifi I stay away from it in all forms, its just not my thing. I don't know what distro is best for wifi support, it all depends on the kernel since thats where the drivers reside, you may have to do some work to get them all working (wifi adapter, keyboard and mouse). If you post on a linux help forum you might have better luck then here :D

3. Jul 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    thanks,... i'm looking at some info/vids on the www... lots seem to have chicks hosting their own "shows" on the subject :D

i'll need to have the wi-fi connection though, since i'm not hardwired for ethernet...

4. Jul 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Are you just trying to connect the TV to internet? Or do you want a useable system there that can display on the TV?

5. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    wileyC

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    well, ...just connecting the tv to the internet... this is an old micron computer i have lying around (spare), so figure might as well try to use it - only thing i've had to replace in it is two fans... i tend to hold on to stuff, so i don't always have the latest/greatest, i'll let others work the kinks out of those and bring the costs down :D

Products Discussed in

To Top