Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Windows 8 Upgrade for 7, Vista & XP

Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Windows 8 Upgrade for 7, Vista & XP

For those who are interested, Microsoft is offering a Windows 8 upgrade to owners of Windows 7, Vista, or XP for $39.99 (online download) or $69.99 for a DVD version at stores if bought before January 31, 2013.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/07/...ndows-7-users/
Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm ditch Vista for 8? I think for $40 its worth a try. I am curious since my Vista is only 32-bit if I could upgrade to 8 64-bit...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Hmmm ditch Vista for 8? I think for $40 its worth a try. I am curious since my Vista is only 32-bit if I could upgrade to 8 64-bit...
I'm a Vista user as well. Like you say, $40 is worth a try. I'm also wondering about upgrading a 32bit to 64bit. I have 4GB of ram that my laptop sees just fine, but the 32bit os will only see 3.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I'm a Vista user as well. Like you say, $40 is worth a try. I'm also wondering about upgrading a 32bit to 64bit. I have 4GB of ram that my laptop sees just fine, but the 32bit os will only see 3.
Wrong.

32 bit os will use no more than 4 gb total for all processes, the reason you never see 4 is because it uses some of that before it has a chance to allocate.

If you have 4 gb of ram on a 32 bit os and moved to 64, that would be the equivalent of having 2 gb of ram on 32 bit. If I go 64 I have 8 gb at the minimum.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I'm in the same exact situation. I have a laptop that came standard with 2GB of RAM, so they threw 32 bit on it from factory. I have since maxed it out to 4GB, but the OS only sees/uses 3GB. I hope that I can do 64 bit since the article mentions the option to do a clean install, which I will most likely decide to do. Never been a fan of upgrades.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JFKLives's Tacoma Gallery
Two things:

1) I do not like to promote FoxNews
2) I'm not a big believer in Windows upgrades ... it always seems to cause problems for people a year or two later

That being said, this does seem like a solid deal:
Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Wrong.

32 bit os will use no more than 4 gb total for all processes, the reason you never see 4 is because it uses some of that before it has a chance to allocate.

If you have 4 gb of ram on a 32 bit os and moved to 64, that would be the equivalent of having 2 gb of ram on 32 bit. If I go 64 I have 8 gb at the minimum.
Okay, good to know. Thanks for the info. So with 4GB, 32bit is the better choice.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFKLives View Post
Two things:

1) I do not like to promote FoxNews
2) I'm not a big believer in Windows upgrades ... it always seems to cause problems for people a year or two later

That being said, this does seem like a solid deal:
I've never had a problem with upgrades. Clean is better to be sure but I have some software that I don't have disks for (got a free download of Office 2007 when I attended a developers conference eons ago).
Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Do you lose everything with an upgrade?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Do you lose everything with an upgrade?
Depends what you're upgrading from...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
XP
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...for-39-99.aspx

Quote:
You will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and bring everything along which includes your Windows settings, personal files, and apps. If you are upgrading from Windows Vista, you will be able to bring along your Windows settings and personal files, and if you are upgrading from Windows XP you will only be able to bring along your personal files. Of course, if you want to start fresh, you can choose to bring nothing along. Or if you prefer to format your hard drive as part of your upgrade experience, you can do so as long as you boot from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows 8, not prior to it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
XP
If you need to keep your current apps, you could virtualize your machine, save off the virtual image and then run it in your updated Windows 8 system.

http://www.labnol.org/software/creat...omputer/10510/
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
XP
Wont be able to upgrade from XP, so yes, you would be wiping and starting fresh, however as long as you don't format or delete the partition XP is on, the windows 8 installer will create a folder for you called windows.old that will contain all of your data from the XP installation.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #15

Marines:
Hmm, I don't have any apps. I was more concerned with personal files and such which seems to be doable.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #16

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...for-39-99.aspx

and if you are upgrading from Windows XP you will only be able to bring along your personal files
Quote:
Wont be able to upgrade from XP, so yes, you would be wiping and starting fresh, however as long as you don't format or delete the partition XP is on, the windows 8 installer will create a folder for you called windows.old that will contain all of your data from the XP installation.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #17

Quote:
If you want to upgrade, just send me your computer
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Quote:
Wrong.

I don' agree with this. I am running on Win 7 x64 with 4GB (3.78) usable RAM. he will be fine with 4GB's You also have to make sure that your hardware can support a x64 based OS. I would check on that first.

Quote:
This is correct.

Another reminder, you cant upgrade across architectures. Meaning if you have a 32bit os and want to upgrade to a 64bit os you have to do a clean install.

On another not you can not go from XP to Win 7 and Win8 using an in place upgrade. A clean install will have to be performed.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
You also have to make sure that your hardware can support a x64 based OS. I would check on that first.
So you're saying I would have to look up every piece of hardware in my laptop, DVD drive, video card, motherboard, and what ever to make sure they are will support it? OR is there an easier way to find in device settings or something?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wrong.

This is just wrong.... In soo many ways.... 32 bit and 64 bit have to do with architecture and memory addressing.

My laptop has 4GB of RAM installed, and is running Windows 7 64bit. This is 4GB of RAM in 32bit or 64bit. This system runs perfectly fine. Go look for more facts if you wish, otherwise continue believing this guys opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 8 Upgrade for 7, Vista  & XP-capture.jpg