LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Direct tv HD DVR

Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Direct tv HD DVR

Who has one? I'm getting fed up with mine! I just wanted to see if others are having the same issue as me? The thing runs like an old outdated computer. Try to change the channel and it has to sit and think about it for 2 minutes. And If I'm entering a 3 digit channel it only reads the first one and goes or tries to go to that channel. Me and my wife both fight with this crap from time to time.

I guess I need to call them which is a pita in itself but wanted to see if it's just my receivers or if others have the same issue? Also wanting to know because if it's a common issue I might change service.

A little venting on this. I'm sitting here watching the Braves game and at a pivotal moment in the game a message pops up saying the receiver needs to change the channel to record whatever. I pick up the remote to say don't record, stay on the channel. And of course the receiver doesn't take the command until it's too late and the channel changed right as a big hit takes place. Fumbled with the remote for like 3-5 minutes as the damn thing wouldn't respond! And that's no exaggeration. By the time I finally got the damn thing to switch back to the game the Braves had scored 4 runs! I'm fed up with this POS! $100 a month for this crap? I mean yes the picture is great but damn!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Any HD DVR is basically an old computer POS, i have had them all, they all sux, two minutes I hope that is an exaggeration, if that is the case you need a new box. Tried a reboot lately, clear the dvr, sometimes erasing shows seems to get memory back.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did just recently delete some programs that didn't seem to help. I haven't rebooted lately, have done this before and can't say it really helped. It does this randomly. Sometimes it's fine then all of a sudden bam.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
There basically all junk in my opinion. Worst part is wont DTV charge you $75 or so to come out unless you have that service plan crap.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Well the equipment is leased now so it is supposed be covered anyway. Last time I had an issue they shipped me a replacement and an empty box to return the old defective one. But I do have the insurance also anyway. That covers the dish, wiring, and what not.

I think it's because of this whole home thing now. I don't recall having this issue before, at least not as bad.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
I've had it happen before. It sounds like the IR reader is going bad. Go into your menu and change to receive RF. Follow the directions and it should work. If it doesn't, call, complain, and tell them you want a new reciever. Ive done that too. I had one techs tell me the IR readers are crap. Hopefully that will work for the mean time.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
You can always unplug/reset the receiver. Delete as much as you can from hard drive. I have had pretty good luck with mine and service has been pretty decent. But.....I do pay for the service agreement so that may be why. Maybe your batteries in the remote are bad. Oh and another thing stop the braves thing and start following the Red..
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
You can always unplug/reset the receiver. Delete as much as you can from hard drive. I have had pretty good luck with mine and service has been pretty decent. But.....I do pay for the service agreement so that may be why. Maybe your batteries in the remote are bad. Oh and another thing stop the braves thing and start following the Red..
It's not the batteries, my wife keeps saying this also. But it's not because when I hit the channel numbers the receiver usually reads the numbers displaying them on the screen and just hangs there. It's like an old outdated computer not keeping up with the commands. At least that is the best way I can think to describe it.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
It's not the batteries, my wife keeps saying this also. But it's not because when I hit the channel numbers the receiver usually reads the numbers displaying them on the screen and just hangs there. It's like an old outdated computer not keeping up with the commands. At least that is the best way I can think to describe it.
Is it connected to the internet? Mine is not but was wondering if this could be the problem.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
Busting hymens since 2014
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
What model receivers are yours?

I have 2 HR24s and they are fast and work great.

Both connected to the Internet. I can download shows and movies on demand and i can watch shows on my dvr from my iPad with a directv app.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Is it connected to the internet? Mine is not but was wondering if this could be the problem.
Yes, one is and the other works off of that through the whole home connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post
What model receivers are yours?

I have 2 HR24s and they are fast and work great.

Both connected to the Internet. I can download shows and movies on demand and i can watch shows on my dvr from my iPad with a directv app.
One is an HR23 and the other I think is a HR20. Which could explain some of it since the HR20 (Master bedroom) seems to be the worst of the two.

That's interesting about the Ipad. So can you do that anywhere you have wifi? Also I guess that would work with an Iphone also?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Yes, one is and the other works off of that through the whole home connection.

One is an HR23 and the other I think is a HR20. Which could explain some of it since the HR20 (Master bedroom) seems to be the worst of the two.

That's interesting about the Ipad. So can you do that anywhere you have wifi? Also I guess that would work with an Iphone also?

I know for sure the HD DVR are slower than a plain old HD box. I have the whole house thing too and the bedroom tv which just has the HD box is super fast compared to my HD DVR
Old 09-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
kurtw is on a distinguished road
kurtw's Tacoma Gallery
Exact same thing happened to me. Turns out the internal hard drive was failing. I plugged in an external via sata, all is back to normal and happy.

That being said, DTV's 90 day warranty on equipment when they make you sign up for a 1-2 year contract is complete horse crap.