1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Garmin GPSmap 62stc

Discussion in 'Technology' started by samsung, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    samsung

samsung [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    does anybody have a Garmin GPSmap 62stc? what do you like or dislike about it. i'm looking for one for hiking, camping and geocaching this fall with my 8 year old. any comment about this particular device would be appreciated. thanks yall

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 4:18 AM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
  3. Oct 5, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    I have the base model, the 62s. Basically the same one without the added camera and storage and preloaded maps. Unless you're going to be taking pictures with it all day long, I'd recommend the 62s. You can put in a larger micro SD card and it'll hold everything you need. Not to mention that camera will eat some batteries. I'd recommend just keeping a nicer camera in your pocket and if you want to geo tag your pic just mark the location on your gps as you move.

It's a good GPS. Rugged, nice features, haven't had a problem with it yet.

The t model comes preloaded with topo maps. However, you can go online to a few different forums and download the maps for free to your micro sd card.

Also, I don't think Garmin has fixed the bug yet but if you get just a 62s you can then download the Garmin Mapsource to your computer as a trial version, then when you run the update it updates to the full version for free and you have access to the same maps that come preloaded on the 62st and 62stc.

USGS topo maps don't really change that much. If you understand map reading then they are great. Problem is now everyone uses a GPS without understanding basic land navigation and terrain features. Looking at a topo map doesn't really show you the elevation changes, draws, etc. as well as a drawn map will. Sure you can scroll your cursor over the information displayed, but if you look at a drawn map with the elevation lines either being close together (meaning steep change) or wide apart (meaning slow elevation change) as well as the slope of the hill/mountain then you are able to make proper path choices.

What I do when I go camping, is download both the topo satellite type map and the USGS drawn map. Usually you'll be moving in maybe a few 1:50,000 map squares so I download an area perimeter of about 25 miles wider than where I'm at and make sure I have maps to civilization N/S/E/W of where I'll be.

I compard the 62stc and the 62st and the 62s before making my decision.

Best batteries out there are the Eneloop 2000 mAh and then for a charger I recommend the Powerex MHC9000 charger. It'll allow you to charge both AAA and AA.

These batteries usually last me 2 - 3 days depending on how long I've got the GPS on. I still use map and compass alot. Still, you throw 8 batteries in your pack and you'll be good to go. Charger is great around the house for Wii remotes, etc.

Batteries and charger will cost you about $70 on Amazon, the money you'll save from going with the 62t over the 62stc.

Hope that helps.

4. Oct 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    ^^^^
    Hi Dave, thank you for your detailed and very informative take on this device.

i just got my unit in last night. i went with the 62stc. i just wanted a camera so i wouldn't have to carry another one with me. the picture quality is not that great at all but all i'm looking for is a few shots so i can save my waypoints. this unit has so much features on it. i've been playing with it all day today just getting the hang of this device. as far as the batteries goes i'm using the ones that came with it and also using energizer lithium ion batteries, i think it's pretty cool that you can switch between batterie types.

i still have a lot of learning as far as the map goes. i have no idea how some of this stuff works but i'll figure it out. really looking forward in going camping with my son this fall. (actually going on first trip next friday to Sam Houston State Park in Huntsville TX)
    :thumbsup:
    once again i really appreciate your take on this.

5. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    No problem man. Yeah they have a ton of functions and are great to use. For general camping, you'll be fine. Same with geo cache. I taught my sons scout group with it for land navigation using both the compass and waypoints. Waypoints are sweet. Basically you just set your basecamp waypoint and then you can just trek away. Then when you want to go back to basecamp, either check your tracks or just choose the waypoint and go and it'll keep pointing you in the direction and give you an estimated time of arrival and distance.

Enjoy it. We used them in Afghanistan and never ran into issues with them.

Products Discussed in

To Top